Author Topic: Sporting News: C's targeting Griffin, will make major deal soon  (Read 111404 times)

Re: Sporting News: C's targeting Griffin, will make major deal soon
« Reply #210 on: July 14, 2016, 03:18:30 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 768
Jimmy Stewart on 98.5 said he thinks the Celtics are going to get Griffin and was reticent about revealing much more.
What is he going to say, "I read Twitter too"?

Also, Stewart and Lipshatz are guys who run the boards at 98.5. I could almost believe that Mike at Lexus of Watertown knows more than them.

Koz, most of the time I feel like your pessimism is borderline trolling, but with the swirling "rumors," I see now that every fanbase needs their own Kozlodoev to keep us grounded.

Without you, I fear where this forum would be. We'd probably arrive at the conclusion that our starting 5 next year would be Westbrook/Harden/Durant/Gandalf/Blue-Center-from-the-MonStars.

« Reply #211 on: July 14, 2016, 03:19:33 PM »

Offline Bobshot

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 141
FWIW Deadmik3 on twitter at 1:12 pm  says deal for Griffin is Bradley, Johnson and Nets '18 pick. "Announcement soon."

Straight up? No Sac involvement? I think that's a fair deal. It's essentially what people were saying for Love + a Nets pick. One thing is though, with the talk about why we got the Clippers pick would that not be involved?

No Sac here. This deal is a steal for the Celtics if Griffin is healthy and willing to sign here. I would guess they would have his assurance of that. It figures Doc-Danny would be in the best position to make a deal. Griffin has become available.

« Reply #212 on: July 14, 2016, 03:22:16 PM »

Offline alley oop

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 30
Doc must want Bradley to help stop Curry. And Ainge is talking up Rozier today.  Bradley wasn't one of those who met either Horford or Durant.

« Reply #213 on: July 14, 2016, 03:22:43 PM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 238
 I think it's true and have explained why.  Some guy working at lexus doesn't really do anything for me other than just reinforce that.  It just makes sense in the larger scheme of things that Ainge would be targeting Blake and Westbrook after losing out on durant.  They are on the last years of their deals and assembling a super team here makes a lot of sense.

We aren't going to be able to get this kind of haul next offseason.  GEtting all the details to work and getting Westbrook to reup with us  as well is the kicker.

Ainge doesn't make moves just to make them.  It makes sense that we would be targetting Blake and then Westbrook considering the landscape of the nba.  PLayers also want to play to win a title as well vs just trading players around.

Westbrook by himself is not a guy to build around.  We get Blake then it makes sense.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2016, 03:30:10 PM by walker834 »

« Reply #214 on: July 14, 2016, 03:23:04 PM »

Offline kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2517
Obvious now why Ainge moved those two seconds for that future clips pick. Negotiations have obviously been ongoing for a while and due to the Stepien rule that clips pick holds more value to doc and lac than anyone else.

Good spot.  Well done.

So what you're saying is THE pick that we may very well have to deal will just be LAC's own pick? If this happens, Ainge is a genius.

People often forget that in the 2007 KG trade Ainge traded the Wolves' 2008 pick back to them as part of the deal. That pick turned into #3 (OJ Mayo was selected and then immediately traded for #5 Kevin Love), and so that pick was FAR more valuable to them than it was to us.
I'm pretty sure that isn't true. The pick we gave them was used on Johnny Flynn in the 2009 draft at the 6th pick.

People complain that we only got KG because McHale and Ainge were friends. Had the Wolves not screwed up the draft and picked Steph Curry, no one can make that complaint.

http://www.nba.com/celtics/news/press073107-garnett.html
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009_NBA_draft

TP, you are correct. They botched that 2009 draft pretty badly, they passed on Curry and DeRozan for Flynn and Rubio. They definitely picked the wrong guards lol. But at least by being bad post-KG they did at least land Love first, which eventually netted them Wiggins.

So i guess it all worked out?

« Reply #215 on: July 14, 2016, 03:23:13 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Jimmy Stewart on 98.5 said he thinks the Celtics are going to get Griffin and was reticent about revealing much more.

Also, Stewart and Lipshatz are guys who run the boards at 98.5. I could almost believe that Mike at Lexus of Watertown knows more than them.

Koz, most of the time I feel like your pessimism is borderline trolling, but with the swirling "rumors," I see now that every fanbase needs their own Kozlodoev to keep us grounded.

Without you, I fear where this forum would be. We'd probably arrive at the conclusion that our starting 5 next year would be Westbrook/Harden/Durant/Gandalf/Blue-Center-from-the-MonStars.
I think Gandalf should start at SF. He's way better than Durant.

But seriously, I wonder when it became fashionable for talk show radio producers to act as basketball insiders. These are quite literally the guys that decide whether they should put Tom from Waltham or Harry from Cambridge on next.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #216 on: July 14, 2016, 03:23:27 PM »

Offline TwinTower14

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 48
Doc must want Bradley to help stop Curry. And Ainge is talking up Rozier today.

Yup and take the load off of Paul defensively, he is 31 now.

« Reply #217 on: July 14, 2016, 03:24:33 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
Doc must want Bradley to help stop Curry. And Ainge is talking up Rozier today.

Yup and take the load off of Paul defensively, he is 31 now.
I did a double take on that, then figured it's the other Paul.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #218 on: July 14, 2016, 03:32:31 PM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!
If Griffin is coming he better be doing an extension like harden

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14

« Reply #219 on: July 14, 2016, 03:35:16 PM »

• Paul Silas

I think Gandalf should start at SF. He's way better than Durant.

But seriously, I wonder when it became fashionable for talk show radio producers to act as basketball insiders. These are quite literally the guys that decide whether they should put Tom from Waltham or Harry from Cambridge on next.

Almost all media today is about the clicks, attention, and buzz. It's unfortunate, but true. There is little integrity. We the fans endorse this kind of haphazardness about the truth when we swoon over their info instead of calling them out.

All that matters is power. Knowledge is power. If you feign knowledge, you are perceived as powerful. The more people view you as powerful, the more leverage you have to get more insider knowledge.

Truth was never meant to be so flighty. Power was never meant to be the goal of knowledge, even knowledge of such trivial things as sports. There has to be a better way. Truth has to be more valuable than we make it.

Rant over ...

« Reply #220 on: July 14, 2016, 03:38:18 PM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
What's funny about all these rumors is this:

People believe whatever affirms them: You want Griffin, so you buy into the rumors. You hate Griffin, and all of a sudden some newspaper reporter is always telling the truth.

American society started slipping when we quit looking for facts, and started looking for whatever supports what we want to believe. We want to be affirmed, not informed.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #221 on: July 14, 2016, 03:39:42 PM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 238

People believe whatever affirms them: You want Griffin, so you buy into the rumors. You hate Griffin, and all of a sudden some newspaper reporter is always telling the truth.

American society started slipping when we quit looking for facts, and started looking for whatever supports what we want to believe. We want to be affirmed, not informed.

Honestly I'm tired of posts like this talking about nothing.  I agree the media aren't the brightest tacks in the shed.  Neither are you.  I am. I just think what I think.  Like to have fun. People are obnoxious that is true.

I used to think people were actually my friends on the internet too. But most of my friends in real life are intelligent nice kind good people.

All the pseudo intellectual crap is just that.

I'm a smart dude.  A good person too.  Thanks. Most of you are too uptight and insecure to realize it.  That's really the truth.

Ultimately people are people. I'm lucky with the friends i have who actually know me. Could give a flying **** about **** posts like this.

There are a lot of control freaks out there in general.

« Reply #222 on: July 14, 2016, 03:42:11 PM »

• Paul Silas

Did you make that last line up yourself? Because that is good.

« Reply #223 on: July 14, 2016, 03:42:29 PM »

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 419

I can't disagree more.  All societies of people always fall for dumb stuff.  PT Barnum was making a killing off of this stuff like 150 years ago.  The problem is now there are just more stories to latch onto with the internet. 

« Reply #224 on: July 14, 2016, 03:42:31 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
Almost all media today is about the clicks, attention, and buzz. It's unfortunate, but true. There is little integrity. We the fans endorse this kind of haphazardness about the truth when we swoon over their info instead of calling them out.

All that matters is power. Knowledge is power. If you feign knowledge, you are perceived as powerful. The more people view you as powerful, the more leverage you have to get more insider knowledge.

Truth was never meant to be so flighty. Power was never meant to be the goal of knowledge, even knowledge of such trivial things as sports. There has to be a better way. Truth has to be more valuable than we make it.

Rant over ...
This has always been true, but once upon a time there were consequences for bad knowledge. That's why there were self-imposed filters. Now it seems that it's ok to propagate every half-truth out there as long as it's evident who "reported" it.