Author Topic: Abdel Nader  (Read 10557 times)

Re: Abdel Nader
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2016, 10:29:36 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
6'6 with 7'0 wingspan. Might be longer

« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2016, 10:46:16 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
6'6 with 7'0 wingspan. Might be longer
Well, yeah, Ryan Gomes was 6'8 with a 7'2 wingspan, weighed 245 lbs and still couldn't play full-time PF.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2016, 11:15:35 AM »

Offline OhioGreen

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 55
Nader isn't a PF, he's a SF, and played it in college, though he was one of the better rebounders and shotblockers on his team.

« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2016, 11:27:02 AM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862
Yea I think he has a chance of making the team.

How big is he?

DraftExpress.com gives his pre-draft measurements as 6' 5" w/o shoes, 6' 6" w/shoes, 7' 1" wingspan, 221 lb.
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2016, 11:27:04 AM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1215
He was drafted and agreed to play in Maine next season, so he won't take up a roster spot.

Nader will spend the 2016-17 season in the D-League rather than with the Celtics, Jonathan Givony of Draft Express reports.

Had Nader, the No. 58 overall pick in last Thursday's draft, signed a contract with the Celtics, he would have had little chance of cracking the roster out of training camp, so he'll aim to develop his skills more in the D-League. The Celtics will track the 22-year-old's performance this season and determine if the former Iowa State standout is ready to contribute at the NBA level in 2017-18.

How does this work? Since we drafted him obviously that means we have his rights, but how long are his rights guaranteed? If a second round pick doesnt make the roster, does that mean their rights are forfitted?

Teams keep draft rights (1st or 2nd round) until:

1. The player signs an NBA contract with the team
OR
2. The draft 1 year after they were drafted, but this timer is pushed back if they sign a contract in a professional league (the D-League counts).  If they sign a pro contract, then the team instead has the rights for 1 year after the contract expires (and this timer gets pushed off again if they sign another pro contract)

Their draft rights can also be traded, but this has no effect on the status of the draft rights, just which team they belong to
I'm bitter.

« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2016, 11:38:07 AM »

Offline oldtype

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 143
Reminds me a bit of crowder to be honest. Not super fast or tricky but can get to the rim because he's very decisive, shoots the three a bit. Seems to have physical tools to be a good perimeter defender.

Great words from a great man

« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2016, 11:45:57 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2984
Nader has good court vision and sense.   He seems to be the type,of player that is thinking a half a step ahead of,the play .  Where is the play going , he seems to meet the play very fast .  Finds the right spot on the court ,  much like Crowder .

With a year or two under his belt he might be a good backup for Jae.

« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2016, 11:47:36 AM »

Offline Yenohb

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 73
He was drafted and agreed to play in Maine next season, so he won't take up a roster spot.

Nader will spend the 2016-17 season in the D-League rather than with the Celtics, Jonathan Givony of Draft Express reports.

Had Nader, the No. 58 overall pick in last Thursday's draft, signed a contract with the Celtics, he would have had little chance of cracking the roster out of training camp, so he'll aim to develop his skills more in the D-League. The Celtics will track the 22-year-old's performance this season and determine if the former Iowa State standout is ready to contribute at the NBA level in 2017-18.

How does this work? Since we drafted him obviously that means we have his rights, but how long are his rights guaranteed? If a second round pick doesnt make the roster, does that mean their rights are forfitted?

Domestic Draft and Stash maybe? Like what OKC did to Josh Huestis.

« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2016, 11:51:54 AM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862

We can keep his draft rights pretty much indefinitely, so long as he plays some pro ball somewhere each year.

Basically, the process for 'stashing' a drafted player while retaining his draft rights works like so:

1) Draft the player
2) Within a certain timeframe (30 days?) the team offers the player a qualifying contract.  In the case of 2nd round picks, this contract almost never includes any guaranteed money.  In the case of first round picks, the contract conforms to the NBA rookie scale.
3) The player "refuses" to sign the contract.   
4) At that point two paths are available. 
  a) If the player proceeds to play organized ball (college or pro) during the next 12 months, the team retains the player's draft rights.  At the end of the 12 months, they offer a contract again and the player "refuses" and we repeat (a).  This can go on indefinitely.  The player could at some point within the 12 months turn around and accept the offer, at which points he joins the roster under contract.
  b) The player doesn't play ball during the 12 months.  After that, the team's draft rights expire and the player becomes an unrestricted free agent.   This is not common.

In the case of (a), normally while the team retains draft rights for a 1st round pick who is stashed, a cap hold is maintained (because 1st round rookie contracts include guaranteed money), but if the player and team send a letter to the league guaranteeing that he won't be activated during the full season, then the cap hold is removed until the following year when it all gets re-done.

So, basically, as long as the player can keep being placed into a league somewhere (D-League, ACB, Turkey, whereever) his draft rights can be maintained for a long time.  According to basketball insiders.com, we apparently still have 7-foot Australian Ben Pepper's draft rights (he was drafted in 1997!), though I'm not sure if that is up to date because I think he finally retired a few years ago. :D 

(Sprinkle the above with appropriate corrections from the CBA.  The basics should be correct.)
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #24 on: July 14, 2016, 11:55:33 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
From Summer league alone, this guy has earned a roster spot more than Young, Bentil or Jackson.

Especially if we make a 3 for one deal for a star, I think a roster spot will open up for him.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #25 on: July 14, 2016, 12:20:08 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1836
Reminds me a bit of crowder to be honest. Not super fast or tricky but can get to the rim because he's very decisive, shoots the three a bit. Seems to have physical tools to be a good perimeter defender.

Agreed, although he is more athletic than Crowder, can take it to the hole more aggressively, from what I have seen.  Danny made a very good quality pick here.

« Reply #26 on: July 14, 2016, 12:29:22 PM »

Offline cons

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 103
yeah, if these major moves go down as is rumored, Nader would be the perfect type of fill in rookie guy off the bench to give unexpected support to the stars -- in a perfect world i mean--

but that looks like it could be his kind of role. like big baby 2008 .

« Reply #27 on: July 14, 2016, 01:56:43 PM »

Offline Ed Hollison

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 196
Let's put it this way: He's good enough such that Brooklyn would probably throw $8m per year at him at this point if he was a free agent.
"A thought of hatred must be destroyed by a more powerful thought of love."

http://fruittreeblog.com

« Reply #28 on: July 14, 2016, 02:20:31 PM »

Offline TA9

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 118
  • I Bleed Green
For some reason he reminds me of Landry Fields when I see him play. A "jack of all trades" kind of player. If lucky he could very well stick around in the NBA for some time.
Jack of all trades, master of none.

« Reply #29 on: July 14, 2016, 02:34:48 PM »

Offline Pucaccia

• NCE
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 65
As far as Summer league, I would say he has played better than Bentil, Jackson and Young.  He looks really solid.