Author Topic: How about Serge Ibaka  (Read 2454 times)

How about Serge Ibaka
« on: May 24, 2016, 05:48:21 AM »

Offline Stig

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 27
He's averaging 12/7, only 26 years old, good defender, good rim protector, can knock down mid range.

his role in OKC is diminishing because Adams and Kanter, he complained about not receiving the ball enough back in March. I don't know what it takes to get him, not sure I'd use the #3 pick, but 16+23+one of our young bigs, KO or maybe Sully sign and trade?

If OKC doesn't pass warriors this year, they'd want to make some change, Ibaka is the most movable player. Even KD stays for another year, they still need to show him they commit to make the team better.

Re: How about Serge Ibaka
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2016, 07:12:19 PM »

Offline CelticSooner

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 895
  • GOT IT!!!
OKC may not trade him now but I'd like to see Ainge try something like Bradley and #16 as a starting point for Ibaka. Makes sense for both teams.

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2016, 07:23:44 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1793
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
AB is fresh off his All-NBA first team selection and OKC just happens to have a need for a defensive stud who is offensively capable, but not a ball-hog. Ibaka has moved down the depth chart for that OKC team, but he should still be very productive given his age. He is also an excellent fit next to so many other bigs given his ability to block shots and shoot from the perimeter.

I would consider AB and a couple of 2nds for Ibaka - it almost makes too much sense for both teams, which means it probably won't happen.

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2016, 07:42:22 PM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 324
AB is fresh off his All-NBA first team selection and OKC just happens to have a need for a defensive stud who is offensively capable, but not a ball-hog. Ibaka has moved down the depth chart for that OKC team, but he should still be very productive given his age. He is also an excellent fit next to so many other bigs given his ability to block shots and shoot from the perimeter.

I would consider AB and a couple of 2nds for Ibaka - it almost makes too much sense for both teams, which means it probably won't happen.

A few years ago, a straight up swap would have been probably equal value. Maybe we throw in those second rounders. Now? I think OKC has to give up more. Not only is Ibaka a free agent next season, he's also shown a regression overall, while Avery has gotten better and better each year. Personally, I'd love Ibaka, but I try to get him without giving up Avery.
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

you vs. the guy she tells you not to worry about

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2016, 07:47:41 PM »

Offline CelticSooner

• Ed Macauley
  • GOT IT!!!
Why would OKC trade with the C's for anyone other than Bradley? It's not like he isn't going to be a free agent in two years himself commanding a huge deal. The C's have a glutton of guards with very similar attributes. If you can upgrade a position and not open a hole somewhere else do it.

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2016, 07:54:38 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1793
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

A few years ago, a straight up swap would have been probably equal value. Maybe we throw in those second rounders. Now? I think OKC has to give up more. Not only is Ibaka a free agent next season, he's also shown a regression overall, while Avery has gotten better and better each year. Personally, I'd love Ibaka, but I try to get him without giving up Avery.

Yeah, I guess you are probably right - I think the fact that we have eight picks in this draft leaves me a little unsettled; if we can toss in the 50-something picks and pick up Ibaka - our ideal front court guy - in the process, I would still consider it a win, though.

Avery's value is sky-high right now, we should at least be exploring what we could get in return for him. I would like to see Marcus starting and progression from Rozier to eventually take Bradley's spot - high hopes, I know.

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2016, 01:26:47 PM »

Offline coffee425

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 122

I think it's worth re-opening this thread. Watching the end of the Warriors-Thunder series, the final two games had a huge impact on both of these players.

Avery's value skyrocketed. Andre Roberson is a quality defender but was completely gun-shy when they needed him the most. Avery is now a first-team all-nba perimeter defender, with a significantly better outside shot and confidence

Ibaka got exposed on the pick'n'roll defense, and is getting slowly phased out by the Adams/Kanter combo. It's only a matter of time before this becomes their future.

The Thunder are so desperate for a 3andD perimeter player of Avery's quality to stop Steph/Klay, that why should Boston only ask for Serge in return? Avery has played well enough to at least demand Serge and a first rounder or Serge and Cameron Payne
Even at the end of the game, we lined up in different formation that he hadn't seen and he called out our play before I got the ball. I heard him calling it out. -John Wall on Brad Stevens

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2016, 01:43:29 PM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254
Why would OKC trade with the C's for anyone other than Bradley? It's not like he isn't going to be a free agent in two years himself commanding a huge deal. The C's have a glutton of guards with very similar attributes. If you can upgrade a position and not open a hole somewhere else do it.
I do think we should make a run at Ibaka, but not with Bradley, Crowder, IT or Smart.

We don't have another guard remotely like AB right now. We have Smart and Rozier, who both play aggressive defense, but both of those guys do their best defensive work closer to the rim. Neither guy has shown they can extend pressure on the ball anything like Avery can, and neither guy provides consistent shooting and spacing, something the team barely has enough of now.

Ainge would only trade AB for a major star, not a very good player like Ibaka.

« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2016, 02:01:44 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
JJ and AB for Ibaka makes sense.

« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2016, 02:06:19 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
JJ and AB for Ibaka makes sense.
[dang] thats expensive
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2016, 03:10:04 PM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
Why exactly would OKC move Ibaka?

Especially if Durant resigns as expected.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2016, 03:10:30 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2435
I wonder how they would react to an Olynyk + #16 + #23 offer.

The Thunder still need a big man who is an above average passer and can bring more overall offense to the table than the Adams / Ibaka pairing can. Olynyk can provide a lot of those things. Plus two firsts to add some cheap young talent to the roster. Help their cap situation and young talent situation.

Would Boston need to include a 3rd first round pick? A future first?

Edit: Or maybe go the other way. Olynyk + #16 for S.Adams. OKC moves Ibaka to center and now has two jump-shooting bigs to space the floor for Durant + Westbrook plus superior big man passing. Boston gets a young center who is a tough defender and rebounder.

« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2016, 06:24:04 PM »

Offline CelticSooner

• Ed Macauley
  • GOT IT!!!
Why exactly would OKC move Ibaka?

Especially if Durant resigns as expected.

They can't afford to pay all their players regardless of what Durant does.

« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2016, 06:26:40 PM »

Offline CelticSooner

• Ed Macauley
  • GOT IT!!!
I wonder how they would react to an Olynyk + #16 + #23 offer.

The Thunder still need a big man who is an above average passer and can bring more overall offense to the table than the Adams / Ibaka pairing can. Olynyk can provide a lot of those things. Plus two firsts to add some cheap young talent to the roster. Help their cap situation and young talent situation.

Would Boston need to include a 3rd first round pick? A future first?

Edit: Or maybe go the other way. Olynyk + #16 for S.Adams. OKC moves Ibaka to center and now has two jump-shooting bigs to space the floor for Durant + Westbrook plus superior big man passing. Boston gets a young center who is a tough defender and rebounder.

Steven Adams is one of the best young big men in the league. Can't see them trading him. Man he's good.

« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2016, 06:35:06 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2983
Does not seem to have the impact he once did.   Maybe it's my imagination.