Author Topic: Rumor: Celtics love Bender  (Read 17031 times)

Re: Rumor: Celtics love Bender
« Reply #45 on: May 18, 2016, 02:16:10 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
The fact that we now love him and that, oh so coincidentally PHO loves him too, makes a point I just offered in a new thread.

We want bidding wars and if PHO loves Bender, we have every incentive to let leak that we like him too.

Then, they have an incentive to offer us a nice package to move up to #3.

If they are really a fan, something like #4 and #13 for #3 and #35 would work. If less desperate, then for #3 and #23.

I think this smacks of gamesmanship by Danny.

Maybe, but what use do the Celts have for yet more picks in this draft?  If anything they should be trying to consolidate and move up for a second selection in the lottery.

By the way Boris, you need to get an avatar again so that your posts are easier for me to find and make a point of reading.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #46 on: May 18, 2016, 04:04:58 PM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
I am sold on Bender if he is the choice

1) We have Smart and Rozier who still have room to develop  , and I don't think trading Avery or Smart  will get us any great big man in return , so keep them for now . Heild and Murray could help the shooting , play making a bit , it would be hard for them to get mins over our current guards .

2 ) Bender has the highest upside and is the youngest . He has elite length for a PF , a position we desperately need help at  .   

- You can see he is a very fluid offensive player with a pretty release stretching out to 3 point range that he should be able to get off against anyone in the league.

- He is a very good passer in the half court and outlet passer .

- Has very good agility and his length should make him a very good defender , being able to guard the pick and role , and switch off to most players .

- He would work very well with IT/ Smart in the pick and role

If we could get a big man that can protect the rim next to him we could be in business .

« Reply #47 on: May 18, 2016, 04:19:56 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
The fact that we now love him and that, oh so coincidentally PHO loves him too, makes a point I just offered in a new thread.

We want bidding wars and if PHO loves Bender, we have every incentive to let leak that we like him too.

If they are really a fan, something like #4 and #13 for #3 and #35 would work. If less desperate, then for #3 and #23.

Maybe, but what use do the Celts have for yet more picks in this draft?  If anything they should be trying to consolidate and move up for a second selection in the lottery.

By the way Boris, you need to get an avatar again so that your posts are easier for me to find and make a point of reading.

I'd imagine #13 and #16 could move you to the #8-10 range if there's another player Ainge likes who might be available there.  Seems like Poeltl might go in that range, for instance.

I don't expect such a trade to happen, but Ainge will never shy away from trying to make a deal.

« Reply #48 on: May 18, 2016, 04:45:08 PM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
Feels like a smokescreen  8)

Exactly what I was thinking.

« Reply #49 on: May 18, 2016, 04:47:45 PM »

Offline kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2512
i don't get why so many people are in love with this kid - in every video i've seen he's facing weak defenders who barely look like they're trying.

compare that to jaylen brown, who is a slashing machine against much better, more physical competition. he looks like a beast physically, at the least i see him as being a jeff green type. at best he could be a legit star. and jaylen is only 1 year older than bender. so is murray.

if bender is such a great prospect, despite his poor performance in the weak israeli league, then why isn't murray and especially brown getting that hype? neither guy is done developing, and they've both shown plenty of promise.

this isn't a bash on bender, just an honest question, there seems to be a double standard here.

« Reply #50 on: May 18, 2016, 04:50:19 PM »

Online footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834

3 and 23 for 4 and 13 makes sense. 3 and 35 would get rejected by PHX.  Then package 13 and 16 to move up if necessary to get another stud who slips down.  I could see that happening.

« Reply #51 on: May 18, 2016, 04:53:07 PM »

Online footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Sorry, Saltlover, I posted before reading your post, which already said pretty much the same thing.

« Reply #52 on: May 18, 2016, 04:54:21 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
This rumor was probably directed at the Wolves. They could use a floor stretching big to pair with Towns and Bender would fit perfectly. Pointing out that both the teams in front of them love Bender is a good way to start a trade discussion.

I'm not sure who I would want from Minnesota (that they would be willing to give) to move back to 5.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #53 on: May 18, 2016, 04:55:42 PM »

Offline gamehead36

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 9
Is a young Pau Gasol comp fair?  If so, we are in business!

http://www.nba.com/draft2001/playerfiles/pau_gasol.html?nav=ArticleList

"Height:
7-0 (215 cm)
Weight:
227 (103 kg)

According to telebasket.com, he is an excellent ballhandler and passer, who can put the ball on the floor and run the court.
Despite his height, he moves around the court like a small forward and has the passing and shooting abilities for that position.

Delivered a breakthrough season in 2000-01 as a 20-year-old playing for F.C. Barcelona.
Played in 29 of team's first 33 games, averaging 11.3 points and 5.2 rebounds in 23.8 minutes.

As a 19-year-old, averaged 4.2 points and 2.6 rebounds in 14.8 minutes.
Showed perimeter game, hitting six three-point field goals.

As an 18-year, saw action in two games, playing 11 total minutes.
Scored six points and grabbed two rebounds, making one three-pointer.
Made his debut on January 17, 1999, against Caceres."

Awesome find. TP.

« Reply #54 on: May 18, 2016, 04:56:00 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065

I'd imagine #13 and #16 could move you to the #8-10 range if there's another player Ainge likes who might be available there.  Seems like Poeltl might go in that range, for instance.

I don't expect such a trade to happen, but Ainge will never shy away from trying to make a deal.

That's what I was thinking too.

Or, someone else wants #16 and #23 for a vet.

I mean the permutations are endless, and Danny thinks about how deals lead to other deals all the time. Remember a lot or people were baffled by the Ray Allen trade when it happened, until the next steps took place.

« Reply #55 on: May 18, 2016, 05:01:16 PM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624
Is a young Pau Gasol comp fair?  If so, we are in business!

http://www.nba.com/draft2001/playerfiles/pau_gasol.html?nav=ArticleList

"Height:
7-0 (215 cm)
Weight:
227 (103 kg)

According to telebasket.com, he is an excellent ballhandler and passer, who can put the ball on the floor and run the court.
Despite his height, he moves around the court like a small forward and has the passing and shooting abilities for that position.

Delivered a breakthrough season in 2000-01 as a 20-year-old playing for F.C. Barcelona.
Played in 29 of team's first 33 games, averaging 11.3 points and 5.2 rebounds in 23.8 minutes.

As a 19-year-old, averaged 4.2 points and 2.6 rebounds in 14.8 minutes.
Showed perimeter game, hitting six three-point field goals.

As an 18-year, saw action in two games, playing 11 total minutes.
Scored six points and grabbed two rebounds, making one three-pointer.
Made his debut on January 17, 1999, against Caceres."

Offensively, that sounds like a scouting report of Bender. Pau's numbers at age 19 are almost identical to Bender's at 18. Pretty wild. TP for digging this up.
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #56 on: May 18, 2016, 08:37:30 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 748
If the Celtics draft every player they're rumored to love so far, they'll have to add a second D-League team.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #57 on: May 18, 2016, 08:39:31 PM »

Offline budMovin

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 26
I personally want Murray, but if he has the best upside, then take the gamble. I know the Pistons did the same thing in 2003, but Darko failed because he was a headcase, not because he lacked ability.
"What we do in life echoes in eternity"
                 -Gladiator

« Reply #58 on: May 18, 2016, 08:40:29 PM »

Offline PaulP34

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 39
This rumor was probably directed at the Wolves. They could use a floor stretching big to pair with Towns and Bender would fit perfectly. Pointing out that both the teams in front of them love Bender is a good way to start a trade discussion.

I'm not sure who I would want from Minnesota (that they would be willing to give) to move back to 5.

Wiggins 😜

« Reply #59 on: May 18, 2016, 08:50:04 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975

Don't make this mistake Danny. Bender is not what u want

Don't worry.  Boston loves him ? Lol

Until I see it reading Danny and or CBS loves him, I don't believe it.   Who is this source anyways?? 

Come on eddie20. Nice try

Try google, boy.

And?? Still who is this source?  Is he credible like woj

Give it up

David Pick is a very reliable European basketball analyst/scout.

And ok... Danny told him directly loves bender?? And McDonoug told him the same??

Um. Do you know how sources and rumors work? Of course these two GM's didn't tell him themselves this info. That's why it's called a rumor and a source.

Well there you go. Just a rumor that's it.

Uh, yeah, that's literally what the thread is titled.