Author Topic: Deyonta Davis as the 3rd Overall Pick  (Read 3552 times)

Re: Deyonta Davis as the 3rd Overall Pick
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2016, 05:26:51 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 769
It's outside the box, that's for sure. He might end up being the top pick next year, depending on if Izzo unleashes him or not. That kind of athleticism and talent may be worth taking a risk on. If I were Ainge, I'd have to be convinced:

1. Izzo would have to convince me that the kid is a workhorse.
2. Development coaches would have to convince me that he has the raw ability to be a star, instead of turning into another Tristan Thompson.
3. His measurements would have to come back favorably. If he is 6'7'' without shoes, 6'9'' with two inch shoes, then I don't want him. We already have Mickey. If he is a true 6'8.5'' to 6'9'' without shoes, and 6'10''-6'10.5'' with shoes then I'm more interested. Especially if they can measure his growth plates and see he is not done growing.

I agree that if Davis stays in this draft, he will drift upward. Remember Vonleh? WCS? Steven Adams? Thompson? Vesley? Udoh? Big men with athleticism do rise. Good thought. Outside the box. I like it. Not sure I agree, but good idea.

Davis signed with an agent.  He's not returning to school.

My bad. Thanks for the heads up.

« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2016, 05:30:58 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
His stats does not justify 3rd pick. Freshman or not

7.5 PPG is just not going to cut it

High ceiling but nuts and bolts are not there yet

Somebody will take a risk on him in the 1st round. But not in the top 15.  Not 3rd

« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2016, 06:26:36 PM »

Offline A Future of Stevens

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 495
Lol I really wanted Davis with the mavs pick (will have to trade up from it now), but 3 is definitely a reach. Kinda like when I saw somebody (can't remember who) suggest sabonis as the 5th pick.
#JKJB

« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2016, 06:35:39 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1398
Do we roll the dice on robert upshaw?

« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2016, 06:53:41 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
April must be "Get unreasonably excited about raw PF prospects" month.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2016, 06:58:11 PM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1215
Do we roll the dice on robert upshaw?

Or Noah Vonleh?
I'm bitter.

« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2016, 07:00:12 PM »

Offline alewilliam789

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 76
I've been looking over our options at the 3rd overall pick and haven't truly been blown away with the prospects that will be available. After looking over which player would be available with this pick I started to look at one of my very own Spartans as a viable candidate as a legitimate fit for our basketball team.
Here are the basic measurables:
PF/C
6'10"
7'1" wingspan

Why you ask?? Because Davis is just the best fit for our basketball team at the 3rd overall pick as both a player that fills needs of shot blocking and rebounding, but also combines this with an interesting, but raw, post game and nice looking mid range stroke. His upside also fits with the draft slot that he's being considered.
When you look at his stats, the most impressive figure is his 1.8 blocks per game and almost 60% from the field. Overall his stats aren't fantastic, but it's when we look at his Per 40 and advanced stats we see the real enticing qualities of Davis. After watching him I was reminded of a certain player that's taking over the game right now in Utah. While not exact by any means because Favors was just a more refined player in college, their games share many similarities. For one, Deyonta Davis and Derrick Favors share very similar physical profiles as freshmen. Both measured out at about 6'10" even with Favors being more physically imposing at 245, instead of the lighter 230 that Michigan State list Davis at. Davis had 2 inches less on his wingspan. Besides physical differences, their per 40 and advanced stats are almost exactly the same despite a few deviations. For example, both averaged about 16-18 PPG per 40, 11 RPG, about 1 APG, 3 BPG, about 60% FG%, same FT% at about 60%, and almost all the their BLK%, RB%, AST%, and PER are about the same. The upside with Deyonte Davis is that he is a considerably better shot blocker than Derrick Favors considering he had a 10.2% compared to Favors 7.9%. Favors had more win shares, but it's also because he had a much larger role on his team and he also had a higher USG% as well.

By no means am I saying that he is on the same level as Favors, but they host similar games and, like Favors, he has a tremendous ceiling that can easily be achieved if he lands in a stable system like our own. He also addresses many issues that we have in the front court. Considering Derrick Favors was exactly the 3rd overall pick in the 2010 draft, why wouldn't at least consider Davis at this position? Why wouldn't we consider Davis if you guys are willing to consider Bender as a top 3 pick even though he hasn't shown anything and is a terrible defender compared to a player like Davis who we have more tape on and is a much better all around player?

He may be the best fit (although I doubt it), but you don't draft for fit at #2 overall.  Best player available is the only way to go with a pick that high

Oh no in the top 2 it's either Ingram or Simmons and even I can't argue that. I'm just trying to think outside the box on other prospects that show massive upside and fit criteria for the needs that the Celtics have positionally because the players available are highly flawed and questionable or don't fill needs with our guard laden roster. Undoubtedly we need a shot blocker, rebounder, and anchor for our defense. Davis could probably bring something close to that right now with some more seasoning in summer workouts, summer league, and pre-season. He also has the mass to bang down low at 230 and he could potentially add more in the offseason to address concerns about not having enough weight come draft time. He also shown that he has the versatility to knock down the mid range jumpshot and then work on the block that bigs that play in Stevens system need. We also have major frontcourt needs so the fit is pretty clear.

« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2016, 11:32:52 PM »

Offline loco_91

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 145
Isn't Davis a zero on offense? He gets 16 points per 40 on merely-decent efficiency for a low-usage big man. He doesn't shoot. If you're picking him in the single digits it's because you think he has DPOY potential but I don't think he's on that level.

« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2016, 11:34:36 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1029
Ben Simmons or Brandon Ingram.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #24 on: April 13, 2016, 11:40:13 PM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1215
I've been looking over our options at the 3rd overall pick and haven't truly been blown away with the prospects that will be available. After looking over which player would be available with this pick I started to look at one of my very own Spartans as a viable candidate as a legitimate fit for our basketball team.
PF/C
6'10"
7'1" wingspan

Why you ask?? Because Davis is just the best fit for our basketball team at the 3rd overall pick as both a player that fills needs of shot blocking and rebounding, but also combines this with an interesting, but raw, post game and nice looking mid range stroke. His upside also fits with the draft slot that he's being considered.
When you look at his stats, the most impressive figure is his 1.8 blocks per game and almost 60% from the field. Overall his stats aren't fantastic, but it's when we look at his Per 40 and advanced stats we see the real enticing qualities of Davis. After watching him I was reminded of a certain player that's taking over the game right now in Utah. While not exact by any means because Favors was just a more refined player in college, their games share many similarities. For one, Deyonta Davis and Derrick Favors share very similar physical profiles as freshmen. Both measured out at about 6'10" even with Favors being more physically imposing at 245, instead of the lighter 230 that Michigan State list Davis at. Davis had 2 inches less on his wingspan. Besides physical differences, their per 40 and advanced stats are almost exactly the same despite a few deviations. For example, both averaged about 16-18 PPG per 40, 11 RPG, about 1 APG, 3 BPG, about 60% FG%, same FT% at about 60%, and almost all the their BLK%, RB%, AST%, and PER are about the same. The upside with Deyonte Davis is that he is a considerably better shot blocker than Derrick Favors considering he had a 10.2% compared to Favors 7.9%. Favors had more win shares, but it's also because he had a much larger role on his team and he also had a higher USG% as well.

By no means am I saying that he is on the same level as Favors, but they host similar games and, like Favors, he has a tremendous ceiling that can easily be achieved if he lands in a stable system like our own. He also addresses many issues that we have in the front court. Considering Derrick Favors was exactly the 3rd overall pick in the 2010 draft, why wouldn't at least consider Davis at this position? Why wouldn't we consider Davis if you guys are willing to consider Bender as a top 3 pick even though he hasn't shown anything and is a terrible defender compared to a player like Davis who we have more tape on and is a much better all around player?

He may be the best fit (although I doubt it), but you don't draft for fit at #2 overall.  Best player available is the only way to go with a pick that high

Oh no in the top 2 it's either Ingram or Simmons and even I can't argue that. I'm just trying to think outside the box on other prospects that show massive upside and fit criteria for the needs that the Celtics have positionally because the players available are highly flawed and questionable or don't fill needs with our guard laden roster. Undoubtedly we need a shot blocker, rebounder, and anchor for our defense. Davis could probably bring something close to that right now with some more seasoning in summer workouts, summer league, and pre-season. He also has the mass to bang down low at 230 and he could potentially add more in the offseason to address concerns about not having enough weight come draft time. He also shown that he has the versatility to knock down the mid range jumpshot and then work on the block that bigs that play in Stevens system need. We also have major frontcourt needs so the fit is pretty clear.

Sorry, I meant #3 overall

It doesn't matter if he's a perfect fit, and the BPA is a point guard.  You take the best player and figure things out from there, or trade down.  You don't draft for need early on.
I'm bitter.

« Reply #25 on: April 13, 2016, 11:56:07 PM »

Offline Smart457

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 23
Yes. Maybe.

If there is one guy to gamble on its Deyonta. Danny is capable of making this pick but it makes more sense to trade down and take him 8th.

I think this thread might get bumped in 2-3 years.

« Reply #26 on: April 14, 2016, 12:51:47 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1562
7'1" is actually a pretty terrible wing span for a big man.  He will struggle to find success in the NBA blocking shots and rebounding and that is the only thing you could say he showed any promise at doing. 

Favors, for example, has a 7'4" wingspan.  Which is more in line with Howard (7'4.5") and the other quality big men in the league.  Even a guy like Noel is 7'3.75".

I recall seeing an article on here that said that virtually every big man prospect that became more than just a role player had a wing span of over 7'3" no matter their height (it might have even been 7'4").  You have to have long arms to play the post, especially if you a defensive oriented player.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #27 on: April 14, 2016, 02:55:34 PM »

Offline ThePoeticWolf

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 14
PF/C
6'10"
7'1" wingspan

HELL NO.

Yes, Davis is a good player but he's projected to be the 14-15th best player in the draft.  We'd be able to draft him probably with the Dallas pick.  If you take him at 3, you're blind or don't know basketball.