Author Topic: Would the Raptors give up the Knicks pick for Olynyk?  (Read 5049 times)

Re: Would the Raptors give up the Knicks pick for Olynyk?
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2016, 11:25:35 PM »

Offline slightly biased bias fan

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 310
what would be the point of acquiring a 9th pick in this draft?

Another asset to package for a rebuilding team e.g. Bulls, Kings or if Ainge wants another lottery talent to stash like Bender if he falls.
KO is likely a better asset than another late lottery pick in a weak draft if you're proposing to use it in a trade.  The last thing we need is have to spend yet another pick on a draft and stash player.

no issue with trading KO but we need to be acquiring better talent, not more picks

Jakob Poeltl will be there around the 9-10 pick and he's the rim protector we haven't had since Perk left, this is just one option.

« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2016, 11:36:46 PM »

Offline loco_91

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 145
I think this is pretty fair for both teams. Olynyk might be a better player than whoever we'd draft (I do think he's a starting-caliber player with a bit of upside left), but you have to factor in the fact that he's up for a big raise in 2017. If the C's can swap him for a cost-controlled rookie, it significantly improves our flexibility in 2017 when there will be multiple stars and superstars on the market. Plus, there's a chance that Poeltl will be available, which would be pretty awesome.

« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2016, 12:21:12 AM »

Offline BornReady

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 40
I don't think so
As olynyk is a pretty new player and not a well established C
I mean they could probably trade to get a good vet that could help more immediately as a defender and add offensive versatility
Plus the NY pick is going to lottery

Also I'd rather keep olynyk as he's a good enough player and we already have a ton of picks
So no point of getting another, unless there was a player ainge wanted there which he didn't want to reach with the Brooklyn pick

« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2016, 12:33:06 AM »

Offline Bucketgetter

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 11
Imagine the Raptors starting five of:

Olynyk
Carroll
Ross
DeRozan
Lowry
That wouldn't be the lineup, it would be

JV
KO
Carroll
Derozan
Lowry

Carroll is 6'8 defensive animal, he is a modern 4 the only reason to start two bigs is if they face the Grizzlies or Cavs
Then Olynyk would be pointless because JV is better than him and they might as well just use their #9 pick.

JV can't pass, nor shoot 3's and Olynyk can run the floor better and passes like a PG.
And JV is also much better inside and a better rebounder. 2 things you want your center to excel at. There's a reason why JV is starting for the #2 seed and KO is coming off the bench for the #4 seed.

That's ridiculous rationality, you can't compare two different teams with different coaches, schemes and players...you're essentially saying that Iguodala or Ginobili suck because they come off the bench.

Olynyk doesn't start because he's been injured most of the season and the starting line up has been settled, and because he isn't a shot blocker and our team doesn't have a 4 who can protect the rim, Toronto do with Carroll.
What are you talking about??? Carroll is a good on ball defender, however he is in no way a rim protector. He plays similar defense to that of Jae Crowder, so by your "ridiculous rationality", the celtics already have their rim protector in Crowder and can start KO. Problem solved!  ::)
CB Mock Deadline - Minnesota Timberwolves
Kemba Walker / Tyus Jones / Aaron Brooks
Jimmy Butler / Jamal Crawford / Treveon Graham
Rodney Hood / Nic Batum / Marcus Georges Hunt
Taj Gibson / Nemanja Bjelica / Jonas Jerebko
KAT / Derrick Favors / Cole Aldrich
Picks - 2018 CHA 1st (Lotto protected), none out

« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2016, 01:20:55 AM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
Imagine the Raptors starting five of:

Olynyk
Carroll
Ross
DeRozan
Lowry
That wouldn't be the lineup, it would be

JV
KO
Carroll
Derozan
Lowry

Carroll is 6'8 defensive animal, he is a modern 4 the only reason to start two bigs is if they face the Grizzlies or Cavs
Then Olynyk would be pointless because JV is better than him and they might as well just use their #9 pick.

JV can't pass, nor shoot 3's and Olynyk can run the floor better and passes like a PG.
So maybe they should start Lowry at Center because Lowry can shoot 3's, can run the floor, and passes like a PG!

« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2016, 10:50:26 AM »

Offline hardlyyardley

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 149
Why not just KO for JV?

« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2016, 12:00:01 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Wait, someone thinks a 9th pick would be in play for Olynyk?! You folks are funny.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2016, 01:23:20 PM by kozlodoev »
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."