Author Topic: 2012 draft redo (year of 2nd round prospects)  (Read 3701 times)

2012 draft redo (year of 2nd round prospects)
« on: March 02, 2016, 09:33:29 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
2012 draft redo (year of 2nd round prospects)

1. Davis
2. Lillard
3. D. Green (2nd round)
4. Drummond
5. Middleton (2nd round)
6. Beal
7. Barnes
8. Crowder (2nd round)
9. Sullinger
10. Henson
11. MKG
12. T. Jones
13. T. Ross
14. Fournier
15. Ezeli
16. Barton (2nd round)
17. Leonard
18. Zeller
19. Waiters
20. Wroten

Re: 2012 draft redo (year of 2nd round prospects)
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2016, 10:50:06 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
Should fab Melo even been drafted? Danny's worst pick as a gm

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2016, 10:51:57 AM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2673
  • bammokja
of course. most picks in that part of the draft never become credible nba players anyway. melo was a gamble as ainge swung for the fences. with picks in the 20s a GM can do that.

i didnt want melo, but i could understand the attraction. physically, melo was a very good player. brain-wise...well not much there. nor was there any really drive to be great.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2016, 10:52:52 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
of course. most picks never become credible nba players anyway. melo was gamble as ainge swung for the fences. with picks in the 20s a GM can do that.

i didnt want melo, but i could understand the attraction. physically, melo was a very good player. brain-wise...well not much there. nor was there any really drive to be great.

Dont forget the concussion

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2016, 11:09:48 AM »

Offline Dino Pitino

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 219
Why would Crowder be drafted behind Beal and Barnes? Because he's a little older? Because they sure as hell are not better than Crowder.
"Young man, you have the question backwards." - Bill Russell

"My guess is that an aggregator of expert opinions would be close in terms of results to that of Danny." - Roy H.

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2016, 11:19:43 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1648
  • What a Pub Should Be
Why would Crowder be drafted behind Beal and Barnes? Because he's a little older? Because they sure as hell are not better than Crowder.

Dino, you have to remember that Barnes is oozing potential.  ;)

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2016, 11:31:56 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

Really?

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2016, 11:33:48 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

To be fair, he's shooting over 40% from three each of the last two seasons.  Most of his shots get taken from the perimeter (including long 2s) -- as Golden State is the best offense in history, I'd guess that's what the coaches want from him.  The potential hasn't been completely unrealized.  It'd be interesting to see Barnes on a team where he wasn't the 4th option.  I'm curious if he could be more of a playmaker.  Right now he's a 6'8" wing on offense who can guard 2-3 positions on defense.

I'd really love to see Barnes and Crowder on the court for the same team.

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2016, 11:36:15 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

Really?
after how all 3 have performed in their careers through this year, I'd say yes, really.

Beal can't stay on the court and Barnes hasn't shown me anything other than he's a decent complementary piece.  He's a bit better offensively but Crowder is much better defensively.

Never understood the fascination for Barnes.

« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2016, 12:00:05 PM »

Offline JohnBoy65

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 132

I think that if all three of these players were UFA this season and you could give one a max contract, Jae Crowder probably wouldn't be the unanimous decision. I even think the vast majority would put him at the bottom of the 3.

« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2016, 12:00:17 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
In a redraft, I'd take Barnes over Crowder. Simply put, you can't consider Jae's contract and Harry's potential contract in the decision, they're about even statistically (offensively), and we've probably seen close to Jae's ceiling but not necessarily Barnes' (on another team, based on his being 4th option versus 2nd, his 3p%, his age, and his contribution to a historically great team). Doesn't seem like all that crazy of a decision...

Beal's injury situation and "minutes restriction" seems odd. Apparently that was reported to be in the 35 min range (but that remains vague and multiple sources, including he and his coach, don't have a definitive answer). That doesn't seem like much a restriction... and you'd think with his injury history they would be more conscientious of the situation.

Edit: it's crazy how close Crowder and Barnes are now, though. McCollum is the only guy that made a leap a more drastic ino. Crowder also continues to trend upward, so maybe he does still have room to grow offensively.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2016, 12:17:17 PM by tarheelsxxiii »
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2016, 12:00:26 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • What a Pub Should Be

To be fair, he's shooting over 40% from three each of the last two seasons.  Most of his shots get taken from the perimeter (including long 2s) -- as Golden State is the best offense in history, I'd guess that's what the coaches want from him.  The potential hasn't been completely unrealized.  It'd be interesting to see Barnes on a team where he wasn't the 4th option.  I'm curious if he could be more of a playmaker.  Right now he's a 6'8" wing on offense who can guard 2-3 positions on defense.

That's the thing that scares me with Barnes; how he'd perform in a system that's more geared around him as a 2nd or 3rd option.   He's a good basketball player but I also think he is benefiting  a ton by playing for Golden State.  It's the perfect opportunity for him & he's doing well in it. 

For the money it'll take to get Barnes v. what Crowder is getting paid, I'm fine with Crowder in a "pick one" scenario.  Obviously, you don't really need to factor in salary in a redraft scenario, though.

I think what Crowder has done in his given situation (being asked of more too) is more impressive than what Barnes is doing.

« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2016, 12:11:39 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
No one disagrees D. Green is the third best player of the draft

Lots of good 2nd rounders came out of this one

D. Green, Middleton, crowder on one team would be tough

« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2016, 12:27:29 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

That's the thing that scares me with Barnes; how he'd perform in a system that's more geared around him as a 2nd or 3rd option.   He's a good basketball player but I also think he is benefiting  a ton by playing for Golden State.  It's the perfect opportunity for him & he's doing well in it. 

For the money it'll take to get Barnes v. what Crowder is getting paid, I'm fine with Crowder in a "pick one" scenario.  Obviously, you don't really need to factor in salary in a redraft scenario, though.

I think what Crowder has done in his given situation (being asked of more too) is more impressive than what Barnes is doing.

Yeah, but we're not talking contracts.  We're talking a hypothetical redraft from 2013.  Contracts don't matter in this universe.

I'll put it a different way: Do you think the Warriors would be any better with Crowder instead of Barnes? I don't think they would.  I don't think they'd be worse, but they'd both just be role players on that team.  That's not an insult to either -- it's just really hard to evaluate a 4th option on the best team in history.

Prior to Crowder arriving in Boston, however, Barnes had looked like the better player.  Opportunity is a wonderful thing to have.  In my opinion the two are pretty equal, and as Barnes is two years younger, in a hypothetical draft situation, I'd take Barnes.  Will Barnes probably get a little overpaid this summer? Yes, probably, based on every team having large amounts of cap room and the free agent pool being limited.  Did Danny get an amazing bargain with Crowder's contract? 100%.  Neither of those facts are relevant in the sometimes fun "Let's use hindsight to do-over the draft" game.

« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2016, 12:29:26 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • What a Pub Should Be

Yeah, but we're not talking contracts.  We're talking a hypothetical redraft from 2013.  Contracts don't matter in this universe.

I'll put it a different way: Do you think the Warriors would be any better with Crowder instead of Barnes? I don't think they would.  I don't think they'd be worse, but they'd both just be role players on that team.  That's not an insult to either -- it's just really hard to evaluate a 4th option on the best team in history.

Prior to Crowder arriving in Boston, however, Barnes had looked like the better player.  Opportunity is a wonderful thing to have.  In my opinion the two are pretty equal, and as Barnes is two years younger, in a hypothetical draft situation, I'd take Barnes.  Will Barnes probably get a little overpaid this summer? Yes, probably, based on every team having large amounts of cap room and the free agent pool being limited.  Did Danny get an amazing bargain with Crowder's contract? 100%.  Neither of those facts are relevant in the sometimes fun "Let's use hindsight to do-over the draft" game.

That's why I said this.

Obviously, you don't really need to factor in salary in a redraft scenario, though.