Author Topic: We will win 50 games  (Read 3438 times)

We will win 50 games
« on: February 04, 2016, 01:17:05 AM »

Offline Celtic Fan Forever

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2437
Call it overly optimistic, call it homerism, tell me to take off my green-tinted glasses.. I don't care! I love this team! I haven't been this excited about our team in a while, and I think we have a legit shot to make the conference finals this year and give Cleveland a good fight. Some things that have stood out:

Kelly's aggressiveness: gotta love what Kelly has been doing. He's not afraid to shoot anymore, he's running the floor and finishing well. And he looks competent defensively and on the boards.

Thomas' all star play: so happy for this guy, leading our offense and being a consistent go to guy night in and night out

Bradley's emergence: he's been slower lately, but Bradley had some crazy good stretches this year. He's shooting well and providing us with his trademark tough on ball defense

Crowder's two way excellence: is he living up to that contract or what? Scoring and shooting better than I could've imagined, and bringing it defensively every night

Smart's development: he's still got a long way to go, but I've loved watching him lately. His shot has been getting better and he's always in attack mode.

So back to my original point.. Here's why we'll win 50 games:

We've lost some tough games early on, and the only teams with point differentials better than ours are SA, CLE, OKC, GS, TOR. That's some pretty good company. No reason we shouldn't be the 3 seed in the East.

We're top 5 in assists, defense, and pace. We move the ball well, move it fast, and play good defense in the half court and transition. These are important traits that will be huge for us in the second half of the season.

So for those of you who think this all subjective and blah blah blah, I'll break it down even further. Right now we stand at 29-22. That's 51 games, with 31 left to go. To get 50 wins, we'd need to finish 21-10. To put this in perspective, we finished 20-11 in our last 31 games last year. This was before IT was fully accustomed to this team, and was coming off the bench. This was with a rookie Smart, a Bradley/Crowder combo not nearly what they are now, Evan Turner starting, and no Amir. There's no reason we can't perform one game better than we did last year.

For those still doubting, I'll break it down further:

Of the remaining 31 games, 14 are against teams above .500, with 7 of those 14 being on the road.

The ones that seem likely to be losses are:

@Cleveland
@Cleveland again
@Toronto
@Golden State
@Clippers

Then some close ones should be:

@Atlanta
Vs Miami
Vs Toronto
Vs OKC
@ Indiana
Vs Houston
Vs Memphis
Vs Miami again
Vs Clippers

All our other games (17) are against sub 500 teams. If we finish 14-3 in those games, and lose 4 of the 5 tough ones (I think we can beat the Clippers in LA, the Wolves just did..) we have to win 6 of the 9 games in the last category (7 are home).

This is doable guys!! It's not gonna be easy, but it's not gonna take a miracle to win 50 games and secure a 3 seed. It's gonna take this team playing to its full potential night in and night out, and staying focused on its goal.

Take this for what you will, but I strongly believe it is without a doubt a good possibility this team wins 50 games. Criticize my logic all you want, I don't care. I love this team and regardless of how this season ends up, I'll be extremely proud of our team.

LET'S GO CELTICS!

2023 CelticsStrong Historical Draft Champions - OKC Thunder
PG: Chauncey Billups/ Baron Davis
SG: Michael Redd/ Dan Majerle/ Allan Houston
SF: Peja Stojakovic/ Gerald Wallace/ Toni Kukoc
PF: Shawn Kemp/ Antonio McDyess
C: Dwight Howard/ Tyson Chandler

Re: We will win 50 games
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2016, 01:20:04 AM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
I picked us to win 50 games at the beginning of the season.
But we have to avoid injures to do that.

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2016, 01:25:26 AM »

Offline Rakulp

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 78
I like the positive thinking! 

This is why I'm a little reluctant to make a trade at this point because they are starting to come together as a TEAM.  The Celtics, much like our all star IT, are the little engine that could. 

Maybe it's my love for the movie "Hoosiers"...but I absolutely HATE the idea that you have to have "stars" to have success.  Bring everybody along for the ride, and you end up with a real team.

That's what the Celtics are becoming...and we're primed with our picks in the next 3 years to truly become something great!

Rak

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2016, 01:28:29 AM »

Offline Bucketgetter

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 11
i think we will win 50 games, make it to the second round, and lose to either Toronto or Cleveland.
CB Mock Deadline - Minnesota Timberwolves
Kemba Walker / Tyus Jones / Aaron Brooks
Jimmy Butler / Jamal Crawford / Treveon Graham
Rodney Hood / Nic Batum / Marcus Georges Hunt
Taj Gibson / Nemanja Bjelica / Jonas Jerebko
KAT / Derrick Favors / Cole Aldrich
Picks - 2018 CHA 1st (Lotto protected), none out

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2016, 01:28:46 AM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2934
Very doable. I think I said 48 wins before the season, and I think we certainly are still capable of 48-50 wins the rest of the way, especially if we get an upgrade in a couple of weeks!

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2016, 01:30:09 AM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2934
i think we will win 50 games, make it to the second round, and lose to either Toronto or Cleveland.

I want a Chicago first round meeting with us having homecourt advantage. I think that'd be a killer series, almost like 2009 all over again. I like our matchups against Chicago, so I think we'd ultimately win in 6 or 7.

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2016, 01:36:38 AM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804
Go Celts! I'll go with DA until he isn't our GM, even if I don't agree with him. Well, until he screws up a lot. GMs aren't forever. 

Oops... wrong thread but w/e LOL. Don't need to delete it though. 
« Last Edit: February 04, 2016, 01:53:30 AM by ImShakHeIsShaq »
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2016, 01:42:56 AM »

Offline CelticSince83

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 42
Call it overly optimistic, call it homerism, tell me to take off my green-tinted glasses.. I don't care! I love this team! I haven't been this excited about our team in a while, and I think we have a legit shot to make the conference finals this year and give Cleveland a good fight. Some things that have stood out:

Kelly's aggressiveness: gotta love what Kelly has been doing. He's not afraid to shoot anymore, he's running the floor and finishing well. And he looks competent defensively and on the boards.

Thomas' all star play: so happy for this guy, leading our offense and being a consistent go to guy night in and night out

Bradley's emergence: he's been slower lately, but Bradley had some crazy good stretches this year. He's shooting well and providing us with his trademark tough on ball defense

Crowder's two way excellence: is he living up to that contract or what? Scoring and shooting better than I could've imagined, and bringing it defensively every night

Smart's development: he's still got a long way to go, but I've loved watching him lately. His shot has been getting better and he's always in attack mode.

So back to my original point.. Here's why we'll win 50 games:

We've lost some tough games early on, and the only teams with point differentials better than ours are SA, CLE, OKC, GS, TOR. That's some pretty good company. No reason we shouldn't be the 3 seed in the East.

We're top 5 in assists, defense, and pace. We move the ball well, move it fast, and play good defense in the half court and transition. These are important traits that will be huge for us in the second half of the season.

So for those of you who think this all subjective and blah blah blah, I'll break it down even further. Right now we stand at 29-22. That's 51 games, with 31 left to go. To get 50 wins, we'd need to finish 21-10. To put this in perspective, we finished 20-11 in our last 31 games last year. This was before IT was fully accustomed to this team, and was coming off the bench. This was with a rookie Smart, a Bradley/Crowder combo not nearly what they are now, Evan Turner starting, and no Amir. There's no reason we can't perform one game better than we did last year.

For those still doubting, I'll break it down further:

Of the remaining 31 games, 14 are against teams above .500, with 7 of those 14 being on the road.

@Cleveland
@Cleveland again
@Toronto
@Golden State
@Clippers

@Atlanta
Vs Miami
Vs Toronto
Vs OKC
@ Indiana
Vs Houston
Vs Memphis
Vs Miami again
Vs Clippers

All our other games (17) are against sub 500 teams. If we finish 14-3 in those games, and lose 4 of the 5 tough ones (I think we can beat the Clippers in LA, the Wolves just did..) we have to win 6 of the 9 games in the last category (7 are home).

This is doable guys!! It's not gonna be easy, but it's not gonna take a miracle to win 50 games and secure a 3 seed. It's gonna take this team playing to its full potential night in and night out, and staying focused on its goal.

Take this for what you will, but I strongly believe it is without a doubt a good possibility this team wins 50 games. Criticize my logic all you want, I don't care. I love this team and regardless of how this season ends up, I'll be extremely proud of our team.

LET'S GO CELTICS!

The last time I saw a post similar to this, the poster just marked every sub .500 team as a W.  We subsequently lost games to BKN & LAL, so I'll commend you for not assuming we will win every single on of those games.  I'll go with 47 wins. 

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2016, 05:10:51 AM »

Offline bopna

• NGT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 136
I really dont care much about whether we reach 50 or not but I really want us to give the Cavs or Toronto a good fight. I want ECF and no less simply bec once we are there anything can happen.. Injuries will be a big factor once again just look at the Cavs in the playoffs...we are the only team they faced head on without injuries to their main core hence we got spanked but out team is much improved now.

IT is brimming with confidence and MS is maturing by the week that hopefully come playoffs he will be a beast on both side of the floor.

For me the East right now is as wide open as you can get. Its like 1999 or 2002 all over again..heck im not even sure the Cavs is a sure bet finalist right now because if Lebrick slows down with abug or even a mild injury and their toasts...ofcourse same can besaid with us so its imperative our team reach the playoffs up to the ECF with no injuries whatso ever.

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2016, 05:26:40 AM »

Offline Greyman

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 211
TP for the thought and analysis put into the prediction. You have me ready to go and check the odds and place a bet. I won't bet but at a time when I am feeling pretty good about the Celtics you have found another way to make people feel positive.

I am sure I said it was doable in an earlier thread, right now I am thinking 45 is the point where I would feel disappointed and the team underachieved in the second half of the season. Anything above that is pretty positive and 50 would be great.

« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2016, 02:30:20 PM »

Offline otherdave

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 124
  • takes.....MAKES!!!!

..and we're primed with our picks in the next 3 years to truly become something great!

And don't forget the Memphis 1st rd pick, which will probably convey in June 2019.  Memphis could be pretty bad in 3 years!

« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2016, 02:43:11 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
love the optimism but I think 45 would be fortunate.  it'll be better than the 40-41 wins I predicted preseason.

@Cleveland
@Cleveland again
@Toronto
@Golden State
@Clippers

@Atlanta
Vs Miami
Vs Toronto
Vs OKC
@ Indiana
Vs Houston
Vs Memphis
Vs Miami again
Vs Clippers

for the teams above .500, I would chalk up 6 out of 7 as losses figuring the C's will surprise someone.  For the home games, I think they'll cough up at least one, probably 2.
we'll call that 7-7 split for the sake of argument.

For other 17 games, 8 are on the road.  a four and four split would be reasonable. 

that leaves 9 games at home.  unfortunately this team has shown it takes 'winnable' games for granted and loses to teams it should beat handily.  I'll be generous and go 7-2 in those games.

so, 7-7 in the 'playoff' teams.
4-4 on the road against weak teams
7-2 at home against weak team.

18 and 13 the rest of the way with generous considerations for wins.  puts them at 49-33 for the season.  I can could easily see them not performing up to expectations because they tend to go on losing streaks which the above results aren't accounting for nor are any potential injuries accounted for.

positive - C's look to be solidly in the playoff picture and should be better than the 7/8 seeds.  Question is, will teams with star players get it together in time for the stretch run to put the pressure on the C's for overall record.

« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2016, 02:44:20 PM »

Offline libermaniac

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 377
I'd say the odds are pretty good we'll win 50

... if you count the playoffs. ;-)

« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2016, 02:54:32 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
21-10 to end the year seems like a little bit of a stretch but even I think we finish with closer to 46-48 wins which would still be great.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2016, 02:55:08 PM »

Offline Denis998

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 388
  • Rutgers '17
538 has us winning 48 games this season, not too shabby.
http://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/2016-nba-picks/
also have quite a great chance to win the championship this season.