Author Topic: (Rumors) Should the C’s trade for Thaddeus Young or Brook Lopez?  (Read 7765 times)

Re: (Rumors) Should the C’s trade for Thaddeus Young or Brook Lopez?
« Reply #30 on: December 10, 2015, 05:30:34 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
You'll have a hard time convincing me that letting the Nets off the hook of Lopez's horrible contract helps our picks. And yes, it is a lateral move. Young is not talented enough to compensate for the fact that he does nothing great.

No, he's in Maine because he couldn't beat any of our other 5 PFs for an active roster spot. Trading away 2 of the 5 isn't going to make Mickey any better.

Agreed with all of the above.

« Reply #31 on: December 10, 2015, 06:05:16 PM »

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 269
Lopez is a guy who has averaged 8 rpg for his career despite having the standing reach of Shaq. He also hasn't played 75 games since 2011. If you think Ainge will surrender assets AND tie up 20+ millions in cap space for him... you're probably writing for a clickbait site.  8)
He is also averaging 18 points/game for his career. His stats for this season are 20.2 points, 8 rebounds, 2.3 blocks per 34.3 minutes.

The thing is that if we trade for Brook or Young, the Nets pick becomes a lot more valuable.

Brook for Lee, Zeller and future pick(s) makes the Nets a far worse team than they are right now. After all, Brook and Young are the best players on their current roster.
To add to what you wrote. I don't think Lopez gets enough credit for how he prevents guards from scoring at the rim. He might only have 2.5 or so blocks a game, but he alters and forces opponents into taking a ton of bad looking drives to the hoop.

Wow, Brook is rated the 53rd best defensive center according to ESPN's real plus minus defensive stats!!!

http://espn.go.com/nba/statistics/rpm/_/sort/DRPM/position/9

HORRIBLE!!!!!

Smitty77
« Last Edit: December 10, 2015, 08:26:04 PM by Smitty77 »

« Reply #32 on: December 10, 2015, 06:16:22 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Lopez is a guy who has averaged 8 rpg for his career despite having the standing reach of Shaq. He also hasn't played 75 games since 2011. If you think Ainge will surrender assets AND tie up 20+ millions in cap space for him... you're probably writing for a clickbait site.  8)
He is also averaging 18 points/game for his career. His stats for this season are 20.2 points, 8 rebounds, 2.3 blocks per 34.3 minutes.

The thing is that if we trade for Brook or Young, the Nets pick becomes a lot more valuable.

Brook for Lee, Zeller and future pick(s) makes the Nets a far worse team than they are right now. After all, Brook and Young are the best players on their current roster.
To add to what you wrote. I don't think Lopez gets enough credit for how he prevents guards from scoring at the rim. He might only have 2.5 or so blocks a game, but he alters and forces opponents into taking a ton of bad looking drives to the hoop.

Wow, Brook is rated the 53rd best defensive center according to ESPN's real plus minus defensive stats!!!

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/addicted-mom-baby-enter-canyon-hell-n476436

HORRIBLE!!!!!

Smitty77
Drug-addicted ... what?
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #33 on: December 10, 2015, 06:19:01 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo

HORRIBLE!!!!!

Smitty77

Also for the record that is out of 73 total players who qualify at the center spot, meaning that Lopez is in the bottom 38% or so among all centers.

Here is the Defensive RPM of Boston's other bigs:

Jared Sullinger (+2.54)
Kelly Olynyk (+1.68)
Amir Johnson (+1.56)
David Lee (+1.31)
Jonas Jerebko (+1.28)
Tyler Zeller (+0.75)

Lopez DRPM of +1.24 would rank him below every single big on our roster except Zeller (who has barely played).

So yes, saying that Lopez has been a poor defensive player this season might be a bit of an understatement.  Saying he's been a pretty horrendous defensive player (by Center standards) is not too much of a stretch. 

« Reply #34 on: December 10, 2015, 06:27:26 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
You'll have a hard time convincing me that letting the Nets off the hook of Lopez's horrible contract helps our picks. And yes, it is a lateral move. Young is not talented enough to compensate for the fact that he does nothing great.
It will help our pick this year, that’s for sure. Lopez is their star player and he is averaging 20 points, 8 rebounds and 2.3 blocks per 34 minutes.

No, he's in Maine because he couldn't beat any of our other 5 PFs for an active roster spot. Trading away 2 of the 5 isn't going to make Mickey any better.
Well, he is going to see more playing time in the NBA against more talented opponents than the ones he is facing in the D-League.

Stats per 36 minutes

Thad Young
18.1 points, 7.3 rebounds, 1.8 assists, 1.6 steals, 0.4 blocks
FG% 0.531, FT% 0.581

Amir
11.9 points, 9 rebounds, 2.7 assists, 1.1 steals, 1.8 blocks
FG% 0.55, FT% 0.575

Defence: Amir is far better at protecting the rim, Thad is better at switching screens and guarding shorter opponents.
Offense : Thad > Amir all day long

(plus Amir is injury prone)

I have nothing against Amir, he is a great team player. That being said, I think Thad is an upgrade over him. Not a major upgrade, but still an upgrade. In any case, the number one reason for us to pull the trigger in that deal is the fact that the Nets pick would become more valuable.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2015, 06:38:00 PM by Jvalin »

« Reply #35 on: December 10, 2015, 06:37:29 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
It will help our pick this year, that’s for sure. Lopez is their star player and he is averaging 20 points, 8 rebounds and 2.3 blocks per 34 minutes.

Well, he is going to see more playing time in the NBA against more talented opponents than the ones he is facing in the D-League.

Stats per 36 minutes

Thad Young
18.1 points, 7.3 rebounds, 1.8 assists, 1.6 steals, 0.4 blocks
FG% 0.531, FT% 0.581

Amir
11.9 points, 9 rebounds, 2.7 assists, 1.1 steals, 1.8 blocks
FG% 0.55, FT% 0.575

Defence: Amir is far better at protecting the rim, Thad is better at switching screens and guarding shorter opponents.
Offence : Thad > Amir all day long

(plus Amir is injury prone)

I have nothing against Amir, he is a great team player. That being said, I think Thad is an upgrade over him. Not a major upgrade, but still an upgrade. In any case, the number one reason for us to pull the trigger in that deal is the fact that the Nets pick would become more valuable.

You completely ignore the fact that Young has been one of the primary offensive options on every team he has played on, while Amir Johnson has always played in the shadows and has never had anything resembling a primary option on offense.

Amir's percentages inside the paint, from midrange, from three have all been in recent times and he's an outstanding passer.  He's always been capable of scoring if he wanted to, but that's never been his role.

Kind like how many people say KG could have been a 30+ PPG scorer if he wanted to be, but that just wasn't his mentality - he was always a team first guy who tried to do the little things and get other people involved.  Looking at his percentages over his career, Amir probably could have easily been a 15 or 16 PPG score if he really wanted to be.  That was just never his M.O. as a player.   

Also defensively, I'd take Amir over Young all day every day. 

Amir is very good at protecting the rim, pretty good at defending the perimeter and the P&R.

Thad is good at defending the perimeter, but is completely hopeless at protecting the rim and a far inferior rebounder.

« Reply #36 on: December 10, 2015, 07:04:52 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
You completely ignore the fact that Young has been one of the primary offensive options on every team he has played on, while Amir Johnson has always played in the shadows and has never had anything resembling a primary option on offense.

Amir's percentages inside the paint, from midrange, from three have all been in recent times and he's an outstanding passer.  He's always been capable of scoring if he wanted to, but that's never been his role.

Kind like how many people say KG could have been a 30+ PPG scorer if he wanted to be, but that just wasn't his mentality - he was always a team first guy who tried to do the little things and get other people involved.  Looking at his percentages over his career, Amir probably could have easily been a 15 or 16 PPG score if he really wanted to be.  That was just never his M.O. as a player.   

Also defensively, I'd take Amir over Young all day every day. 

Amir is very good at protecting the rim, pretty good at defending the perimeter and the P&R.

Thad is good at defending the perimeter, but is completely hopeless at protecting the rim and a far inferior rebounder.
He has never been a primary option on offense because he lacks the necessary skills in order for him to be given that role. He is a great team player who provides some decent rim protection, but he is not that skilled as an offensive player.

In any case, my argument is that if we trade for either of those guys, the Nets will lose more games this season, hence our pick will gain in value. All I care about is the pick. That’s why I am interested in trading with the Nets.

« Reply #37 on: December 10, 2015, 07:05:52 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
delete

« Reply #38 on: December 10, 2015, 08:26:44 PM »

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen

HORRIBLE!!!!!

Smitty77
Drug-addicted ... what?

Fixed:_))    Thanks.

« Reply #39 on: December 10, 2015, 08:40:56 PM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1019
Call me if DeMarcus Cousins or Anthony Davis are on the grocery list and maybe I'll pick up the phone.

;D

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #40 on: December 10, 2015, 08:42:57 PM »

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
Wow.  Young is 83rd out of 94 PF's in defensive RPM on ESPN's real plus minus.

http://espn.go.com/nba/statistics/rpm/_/page/3/sort/DRPM/position/6

I don't see how the Nets trading EITHER Lopez or Young does NOT help them!!!

Smitty77

« Reply #41 on: December 10, 2015, 08:51:11 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016

Smitty77
I'm not sure Young would start on this team, but he and Lopez have some chemistry.  This rumor is nonsense, but I can see the logic in trading for Lopez if you could keep all the Brooklyn picks.  He's the main thing keeping them competitive. 

« Reply #42 on: December 10, 2015, 09:14:39 PM »

Offline MJohnnyboy

• Bailey Howell

Smitty77

That stat is kind of flawed. Jason Thompson, who has hardly played, is #9. Tyler Hansbrough, who also has hardly played, is #13. David Lee, who is not known for his defense, is #31. Heck, Jordan Mickey is #70.

« Reply #43 on: December 10, 2015, 09:17:38 PM »

Offline Denis998

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 388
  • Rutgers '17
Essentially, Bodj will be their best asset. Him we should aim for.

« Reply #44 on: December 10, 2015, 09:57:32 PM »

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182

LOL good stuff, TP