Author Topic: No disgruntled stars, no players in KG like situation. Danny stuck?  (Read 5467 times)

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
We all know that Danny is ready to push the button once either of the situations above is available

The issue is ,things are quiet around the league.   

If you are Danny do you try to force the issue like he tried when trying to trade up for Winslow at the deadline? Can he go through another year of drafting 4 rookies? 

Re: No disgruntled stars, no players in KG like situation. Danny stuck?
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2015, 02:37:08 PM »

Offline apc

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 437
You may be right.
I wish we put more focus on developing our rookies.

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2015, 02:38:09 PM »

Offline Granath

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 567
We all know that Danny is ready to push the button once either of the situations above is available

If you are Danny do you try to force the issue like he tried when trying to trade up for Winslow at the deadline? Can he go through another year of drafting 8 rookies?

FTFY  :)
Jaylen Brown will be an All Star in the next 5 years.

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2015, 02:40:02 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I think Danny will have to continue to be aggressive on draft day.  Maybe a team considers trading a star for some younger assets (e.g. Cousins).  Otherwise, maybe Danny can finally get a guy he really likes on draft day by moving up.  He's tried to do that the last couple years and has failed to make a deal both times.

If Danny can get that one star prospect on board without having to give up too much of the younger talent the Celts already have (Thomas, Smart, Bradley, Crowder etc), that could make the team look really appealing to a bigger name free agent (Al Horford?) or the next star reaching the end of his deal looking for a new place.

I definitely don't think the team can afford to use all of the picks they've got next year, unless half of them are draft and stashes.  If Danny can't work out a consolidating trade or two, he'd better open up some room in the rotation for these young guys to get some real playing time, or else a third of the roster will just be young guys with no meaningful experience wasting away on the bench.

It's going to take time, though.  The Celts are winning games but they're still only a couple years into this rebuild.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2015, 02:41:07 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Stars don't get traded only because they're disgruntled. 

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2015, 02:53:36 PM »

Offline MJohnnyboy

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 269
Right now it's quiet because the season is still young. Give it until February when teams have to start thinking about what direction they want to take. I don't think anyone expected the season to turn out like this so far. Remember, we have teams that were supposed to do well coming into the season who are struggling, like the Rockets, Clippers, and Pelicans, and we have surprising young teams that may be looking for an extra push, like the Magic, Hornets, and Timberwolves.

There may not be disgruntled "stars" right now, but there are disgruntled quality players on the market. Markieff Morris, a guy who we've brought up countless times before, was a healthy scratch yesterday and Marc Stein reported today that the Rockets are interested in his services.

https://twitter.com/ESPNSteinLine/status/673727929487138816

The roster at the moment is full of power forwards but I wouldn't mind an upgrade like Morris or at the very least, getting involved in a multi-team deal with the Suns.

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2015, 03:00:07 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2434
The Cousins / Sacramento situation is playing out nicely.

I think Cousins could be made available in a trade this summer.

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2015, 03:18:51 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
Right now it's quiet because the season is still young. Give it until February when teams have to start thinking about what direction they want to take. I don't think anyone expected the season to turn out like this so far. Remember, we have teams that were supposed to do well coming into the season who are struggling, like the Rockets, Clippers, and Pelicans, and we have surprising young teams that may be looking for an extra push, like the Magic, Hornets, and Timberwolves.

There may not be disgruntled "stars" right now, but there are disgruntled quality players on the market. Markieff Morris, a guy who we've brought up countless times before, was a healthy scratch yesterday and Marc Stein reported today that the Rockets are interested in his services.

The roster at the moment is full of power forwards but I wouldn't mind an upgrade like Morris or at the very least, getting involved in a multi-team deal with the Suns.

Morris is far from a star. 

I'm talking like Paul George level. Why else would Danny create a package to make a trade

I do agree things can happen. But sudden change is not likely

2016 FA for example should produce some noise for the trade deadline. But unfortunately Lebron is going nowhere and I doubt a guy like Dhoward is also, nor would he fit under the Celts system

« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2015, 03:21:00 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

That owner will never let him go. Plus Danny wouldn't do that to CBS. Look at the pain Karl is going through. He doesn't even look like he gives a crap.   Rondo do whatever. Cousin bad body language.. Who cares.   

If it was up to Karl, cousins would be the 1st one to go. They should either follow what Karl wants or bring back Malone. What a mess that org is

« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2015, 03:35:39 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

Cousins seems like the best chance the Celts will have in the next year or so.  What if Sacramento wants more established talent for him, though?  I wouldn't be surprised if they'd take a Oladipo + Vucevic package, for example, over anything the Celts can offer with all their picks and role players. 

The Kings simply can't go into that new arena with a team that's ready to lose 60 games.

If the Celts get the #1 pick from the Nets, that would probably trump all other offers, but if that happens, give me Ben Simmons.  I think Cousins is a great talent, but I'd prefer a superstar prospect who can grow up in Brad's system from day 1 and be under Celts control for 8-9 years.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2015, 03:49:33 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
No disgruntled stars, no players in KG like situation - YET.

Just play your cards, Danny, and continue to be patient. When the time comes we'll be rdy to make a move.

« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2015, 03:55:26 PM »

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 568

Cousins seems like the best chance the Celts will have in the next year or so.  What if Sacramento wants more established talent for him, though?  I wouldn't be surprised if they'd take a Oladipo + Vucevic package, for example, over anything the Celts can offer with all their picks and role players. 

The Kings simply can't go into that new arena with a team that's ready to lose 60 games.

If the Celts get the #1 pick from the Nets, that would probably trump all other offers, but if that happens, give me Ben Simmons.  I think Cousins is a great talent, but I'd prefer a superstar prospect who can grow up in Brad's system from day 1 and be under Celts control for 8-9 years.

Yeah, I have zero issue riding these Nets picks out and drafting.

Just not a lot of obvious big names out there.
*CB Miami Heat*
Kyle Lowry, Dwayne Wade, 13th pick in even numbered rounds, 18th pick in odd numbered rounds.

« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2015, 03:56:35 PM »

Offline BDeCosta26

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 232

If you are Danny do you try to force the issue like he tried when trying to trade up for Winslow at the deadline? Can he go through another year of drafting 4 rookies?

Things change quickly in this league. A guy your not even considering could be up for a trade without any of us even knowing

Beyond that though, in the short term I don't think it's so essential to make a big KG type trade during this season. Let's say a guy like Gallinari comes up for trade. He fits into what we need pretty perfectly and we could likely get him without using either Smart or the 16' Nets pick. Those kinda guys are on DA's radar too, and combining a few decent assets into a better one like Gallo is something worth considering.

But don't get too worried about it. History has shown us that star players get traded just about every year or two. Were in a great position to strike on that and we'll remain so until we get a star one way or another

« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2015, 04:02:24 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Its only December. There's plenty of time.

« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2015, 04:21:03 PM »

Offline MJohnnyboy

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 269

Morris is far from a star. 

I'm talking like Paul George level. Why else would Danny create a package to make a trade

I do agree things can happen. But sudden change is not likely

2016 FA for example should produce some noise for the trade deadline. But unfortunately Lebron is going nowhere and I doubt a guy like Dhoward is also, nor would he fit under the Celts system

I didn't he say he is a star, but "far from" is a stretch. The guy is an improvement offensively over any bigs the Celtics have on their roster right now, he's being paid for less than he's worth in a salary cap that's going to skyrocket, and, from the looks of things, can be had for cheap. Considering Danny has made nothing but bargain trades since blowing up the team, that to me is a deal that he would absolutely make.

More importantly, Morris is just an example. He's definitely not the star the Celtics are looking for but he's an improvement and he's cheap. Another example of a cheap option would be someone like Ryan Anderson or Danillo Gallinari since, as you said, there's no all-star caliber player on the market.

Sudden change RIGHT NOW looks unlikely, but in the world of sports, things can change instantly, especially since the season started just a month ago. Take last year for example. I don't think anyone at this time last year thought Isaiah Thomas was going to be a trade possibility. I don't think anyone at this time last year thought Goran Dragic was going to ask out of Phoenix. I don't think anyone at this time last year thought Lamarcus Aldridge was going to leave the Blazers for the Spurs. Point is, a lot can change in a span of 2.5 months.