Author Topic: Brooklyn is going to be terrible- We really could get a top 5 pick this year...  (Read 56047 times)

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 562
I think Lopez will be dealt.  I just don't see how you justify keeping him on a team that is arguably the worst in the league, because they are trying to win and cannot.  At least we know the Sixers and the Lakers are tanking.

Considering that they'll have plenty of cap space going forward, and still have draft pick problems going forward, what motivation could they possibly have to move Lopez other than looking for an upgrade?
i've speculated in other threads that they'd consider moving their vets (Lopez, Young, JJ, Jack, Bargs) for other teams picks.  they can have oodles of cap space but it doesn't do much good if they can't bring in top players worth spending that money on.  sure, they could attract some mediocre players but would it be enough to get them to the playoffs?  probably not, so what would be the point.
Teams have to pay the minimum team salary (90% of cap) so getting rid of Lopez and Young just means that the Nets will spend even more money on mediocre players.  The league is full of mediocrity or parity if you prefer.  If they make some improvement in their guards and add some more depth, the Nets could certainly compete for the 7th or 8th spot in the East.  I can't see the Nets getting good enough offers to justify trading Lopez and Young.

Teams do NOT need to reach the salary floor.  If they don't, the difference between their total salary and the floor gets distributed among the players, so there's no advantage to being below it, but there isn't a disadvantage, either
Yes which is why I said what I said.  One way or the other the Nets would end up spending more money on mediocre players if they get rid of Lopez and Young for just a few lousy picks.  Unless they get a good return for Lopez and Young, it makes little sense for the Nets to trade them.  Now if King could pull off a Jrue Holliday type trade that would be a different story but I wouldn't hold my breath on that.   

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 890
The surprising thing about the Nets is that they have been healthy and still bad.  They will likely have injuries at some point considering the age and history of the players.

In terms of a trade, how about a trade with New Orleans.  Can you imagine a front line of Lopez and Anthony Davis?  New Orleans could offer 2016 #1 (which should remain a decent pick) and Asik plus maybe Holiday or Ryan Anderson.

I think this trade makes NO better this season and gives BRK some players to work with this year so they can tread water but also gives them a half decent pick in 2016.

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
I think Lopez will be dealt.  I just don't see how you justify keeping him on a team that is arguably the worst in the league, because they are trying to win and cannot.  At least we know the Sixers and the Lakers are tanking.

Considering that they'll have plenty of cap space going forward, and still have draft pick problems going forward, what motivation could they possibly have to move Lopez other than looking for an upgrade?
i've speculated in other threads that they'd consider moving their vets (Lopez, Young, JJ, Jack, Bargs) for other teams picks.  they can have oodles of cap space but it doesn't do much good if they can't bring in top players worth spending that money on.  sure, they could attract some mediocre players but would it be enough to get them to the playoffs?  probably not, so what would be the point.
Teams have to pay the minimum team salary (90% of cap) so getting rid of Lopez and Young just means that the Nets will spend even more money on mediocre players.  The league is full of mediocrity or parity if you prefer.  If they make some improvement in their guards and add some more depth, the Nets could certainly compete for the 7th or 8th spot in the East.  I can't see the Nets getting good enough offers to justify trading Lopez and Young.

I can see the Nets getting a 1st round pick and a player with upside for Lopez.  I think they have to make that trade if it is offered.  But I am sure whatever direction they go in, it will be the worst one, because Billy King runs their team.
I've yet to see anyone propose an actual trade for Lopez that's realistic and beneficial to the Nets.  We're one of the few teams that might benefit from getting Lopez and that possibly have the assets to tempt the Nets. 

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
The surprising thing about the Nets is that they have been healthy and still bad.  They will likely have injuries at some point considering the age and history of the players.

In terms of a trade, how about a trade with New Orleans.  Can you imagine a front line of Lopez and Anthony Davis?  New Orleans could offer 2016 #1 (which should remain a decent pick) and Asik plus maybe Holiday or Ryan Anderson.

I think this trade makes NO better this season and gives BRK some players to work with this year so they can tread water but also gives them a half decent pick in 2016.
Actually the one player injured so far for the Nets was RHJ their young rookie.  He was playing pretty well for them before the injury.  If NO would give up their 2016 1st for Lopez that could tempt the Nets.  Of course it would depend on the protection placed on the pick. 

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1793
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

TP for a creative trade idea that would seem to benefit both sides. Brooklyn getting a mid-lottery pick and a decent player makes sense and the Pelicans moving forward with a super-quality front court also makes sense.