Author Topic: Brooklyn is going to be terrible- We really could get a top 5 pick this year...  (Read 56055 times)

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Praying for injuries is lame, even if you don't believe in praying.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2984
I find it repulsive to wish harm to another human .....especially one who has never crossed me in any way.

It's bad karma to wish pain on others.

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Praying for injuries is lame, even if you don't believe in praying.

Yeah.

I guess you could look at it in a more abstract way as "Wishing for other teams to suffer the misfortune that the Celtics have at times suffered, while hoping for the Celts to have some good luck to jumpstart their rebuild."
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
I'm not wishing anything bad on Brook Lopez, personally.  But history tells us that his chances of getting injured and missing significant playing time are fairly high. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
I wouldn't count on Brooklyn sucking.  They finished the season strong.  Brook Lopez and Thad Young made a difference.  I think our pick from them will end up in the 12-17 range.

This is exactly what I thought too. Then they traded Plumlee, KG left, Teletovic went down, Johnson got older and had his 5th straight season of decline.

I'm getting pretty bored of this topic, but i'll just briefly touch on this.

- Plumlee was irrelevant in the second half of the season.
- Swapping KG for Thad Young gave them a major positive Jolt
- Teletovic?  Lol
- Johnson... eh... still a solid player
- Lopez was beasting over the past three months of the season.  That makes a difference as a healthy Lopez is a force down low.

Agree to disagree.  Hope you guys end up right.

I hope you see the irony in saying 'lol' to Teletovic and Plumlee but somehow have faith in Bargani, Larkin and Willy Reed whilst the rest of the East gets considerably better? lol

Their starting PG is Jarrett Jack. Their back up is Larkin- not a typo.
Their starting SG is Johnson. Their back ups are Markel Brown and Wayne Ellingtion with some Karasev thrown in.
Their SF is Bogdanovic with Karasev and Quincy Miller.
Their PF is Thadeus with Bargani, Willy Reed and Thomas Robinson.
Their C is Lopez with Bargani and Willy Reed. That's not a typo. Bargani and Willy Reed.

That is arguably the poorest line up in the NBA or is definitely in the conversation and it's a bottom 5 defense.

They are going to be terrible. They are an injury away from being a genuine dumpster fire.
Brooklyn's 3 best players would probably be the 3 best players on the Celtics.  *shrug*

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
I wouldn't count on Brooklyn sucking.  They finished the season strong.  Brook Lopez and Thad Young made a difference.  I think our pick from them will end up in the 12-17 range.

This is exactly what I thought too. Then they traded Plumlee, KG left, Teletovic went down, Johnson got older and had his 5th straight season of decline.

- Teletovic?  Lol
- Lopez was beasting over the past three months of the season.  That makes a difference as a healthy Lopez is a force down low.

I hope you see the irony in saying 'lol' to Teletovic and Plumlee but somehow have faith in Bargani, Larkin and Willy Reed whilst the rest of the East gets considerably better? lol

Their starting SG is Johnson. Their back ups are Markel Brown and Wayne Ellingtion with some Karasev thrown in.
Their C is Lopez with Bargani and Willy Reed. That's not a typo. Bargani and Willy Reed.

That is arguably the poorest line up in the NBA or is definitely in the conversation and it's a bottom 5 defense.

They are going to be terrible. They are an injury away from being a genuine dumpster fire.
Brooklyn's 3 best players would probably be the 3 best players on the Celtics.  *shrug*
Brooklyns 5th best player would probably be the 12th best player on the Celtics.

Smart Sully AB KO Amir Jonas IT Crowder Lee Zeller ET I think are all better than Bogdanovich

Also I think you overrate both Joe Johnson and Thad Young.

I expect pick to be in 7-12 range
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

Offline BDeCosta26

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 232

- Teletovic?  Lol

Okay, I'll give you Brook Lopez if he's healthy and playing like he did at the end of last season.

But A 35 year old Joe Johnson wouldn't be the best player on the Celtics. He's not better than Isaiah Thomas, not at this stage of his career. And Thad Young? C'mon man. He might be the 3rd best player on the Celtics, like he is on the Nets but not by much.

Here's the thing your just totally skipping. Even if we accept that what you just said was true; that Brooklyn's 3 best players are better than anyone on the Celtics, which I think is ridiculous but regardless, they would hardly be. Lopez deff would be, but not but a huge margin. And considering that players 4-12 (a vital component to how well a team does in the regular season) are much, much better than Brooklyn's that theory just doesn't hold up. Andrea Bargnari wouldn't even get to wear warm ups on the Celtics, and he's gonna be playing major minutes. He's a Lopez injury or Johnson trade away from starting! Jarrett Jack wouldn't play at all here either, and let's not even discuss Shane Larkin and Willie Reed.

And lemme ask you, if someone like say Phoenix or Utah calls Brooklyn offering a top-12 protected 1st in some kinda deal for Johnson, do you think they'll turn them down?

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Yeah hoping for injuries is not cool.

Personally I'm praying Brook Lopez has an existential crisis and retires early to start an Etsy store making artisanal hand-woven screen doors.  That seems much more agreeable.

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
Yeah hoping for injuries is not cool.

Personally I'm praying Brook Lopez has an existential crisis and retires early to start an Etsy store making artisanal hand-woven screen doors.  That seems much more agreeable.

That seems very Robin Lopez.

I wonder if Brook might grow a jazz dot and spend a self-imposed yearlong sabbatical learning French while working at EuroDisney as a mascot.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
still saying Brooklyn pick will be in top 5.  the idea that they would come even close to sniffing the playoffs is unfathomable. 

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish

- Teletovic?  Lol

Brooklyns 5th best player would probably be the 12th best player on the Celtics.

You probably coulda said that about the Cavs team won the ECF last year.

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish

- Teletovic?  Lol

And lemme ask you, if someone like say Phoenix or Utah calls Brooklyn offering a top-12 protected 1st in some kinda deal for Johnson, do you think they'll turn them down?
Trade value is impacted by contracts and perceived long-term potential.   Not really relevant.

But whether or not 7x all-star Joe Johnson (a year removed from being an all-star) is better than a back-up point guard is an interesting question.  You're goin with the back-up point guard, I take it.

Offline ahonui06

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 27
Hoping for injuries isn't bad at all because it helps the Celtics cause.

And prayer and karma aren't factual, they are fantasy.

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
I think the floor is higher for the Celts, but the ceiling for the Celts isn't much higher than the Nets.  Both teams are pretty mediocre.

I agree with this, though I'd also say we're in a stronger position to acquire a roof-raiser or two this season.

They literally have two maybe three guys who would start on playoff teams being Johnson and Lopez. Young is solid and would start for some poorer NBA teams but not unless he's the 4th/5th option.

It's literally D Leaguers and some washed up starting caliber guys.
Take a look...Try and put together a team that wins over 30 games from this car crash, let alone can handle one injury to any position.

www.nba.com/nets/roster

Oh I've looked, and they're pretty bad.  I just think the bottom 10 in the East, excluding Philadelphia, are all mediocre enough that they could finish in nearly any order.  I'd put Brooklyn towards the bottom of that group on average, but it doesn't take many breaks - good for you or bad for them - to find yourself in the middle of a pack like that.

Yep you're 100% right. The East is so bad in that middle/bottom of the road pack that a few injuries here or there can completely change the landscape. TP you've repeated this a few times lol.

I just think that where as last year they were fighting for the 8th seed, this year they'll be fighting for 11th/12th in the East.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

Top 3 advanced stats comparison BKN vs BOS
« Reply #164 on: September 14, 2015, 08:53:48 PM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
http://bkref.com/tiny/uWFmU

Nets: JJ, TY, BL
PER 52.5
Box +/- 0.3
VORP 3.7

BOS: AJ, JS, IT