Author Topic: What if [Player A] was in [Era B]?  (Read 3665 times)

What if [Player A] was in [Era B]?
« on: July 17, 2015, 12:09:17 PM »

Offline A Future of Stevens

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 495
So as it is the summer months and we are all starved for some basketball in our lives, lets play a little game. Which players do you think would be even better if they were in a different era of basketball?

What if Gary Payton was around for the current generation of basketball? Over the last half decade or so, basketball has shifted to place more of an influence on perimeter play. Gary Payton is considered one of if not the best perimeter defensive player of all time. His play style would seem like the perfect counter to today's game, and I believe he would have even more of a positive impact on the game than he already did.

Ok, let her rip guys.
#JKJB

Re: What if [Player A] was in [Era B]?
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2015, 12:13:40 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
He'd have been a sight to C?
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2015, 12:33:46 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
I wonder if Eddie Jones would be a top 3 shooting guard in the current era. Two way player, can score on his own. If Eddie Jones is in his prime, would you take him over any SG this era has right now? He could be a superstar in this time.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2015, 12:38:22 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
I wonder if Eddie Jones would be a top 3 shooting guard in the current era. Two way player, can score on his own. If Eddie Jones is in his prime, would you take him over any SG this era has right now? He could be a superstar in this time.
Eddie Jones?  guy was a bench guy in his prime.  wouldn't fair much better now.

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2015, 12:38:29 PM »

Offline kne

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 16
Fun topic.

I think under current defensive rules, Pippen & MJ would've killed it.

No-injury McGrady, Hill and Penny would also be nice.

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2015, 12:42:02 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
I'd like to see Lebron in the late 80's/early 90's with the thuggery taking over the league -- particularly the Pistons and Knicks.

now THAT is something I'd love to see.  if you think he cries a lot now over fouls, let him play when the refs just swallowed their whistles because they got tired of using them. 

would also like to see what a Wilt or Kareem could do in the league currently.  I don't think there's a big man that would be able to do a thing to stop them.

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2015, 12:47:34 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1649
  • What a Pub Should Be
I'd like to see Lebron in the late 80's/early 90's with the thuggery taking over the league -- particularly the Pistons and Knicks.

now THAT is something I'd love to see.  if you think he cries a lot now over fouls, let him play when the refs just swallowed their whistles because they got tired of using them. 

would also like to see what a Wilt or Kareem could do in the league currently.  I don't think there's a big man that would be able to do a thing to stop them.

I was just thinking of Kareem in today's game.  He'd be off the charts.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2015, 01:08:11 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

I was just thinking of Kareem in today's game.  He'd be off the charts.
agree.  hated him as a Laker but have to respect his abilities.  great passer, scorer and rebounder.  defended pretty well too.  full package.  would just dominate the position today. 

wouldn't mind seeing Mchale or Olajuwon in the league today for that same reason.

« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2015, 01:21:44 PM »

Offline BraxVitto

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 8
How about LeBron in the Bird Era? I think it would be interesting to see how he would fair against all the legendary players who were around back then.

« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2015, 01:46:51 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.

Don't know about that. 3x 2nd team All Defense, capable 20 ppg scorer. Maybe Harden is the only one I'd take over him, but would gladly have him over anyone in this era of SG's.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2015, 02:03:58 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

Don't know about that. 3x 2nd team All Defense, capable 20 ppg scorer. Maybe Harden is the only one I'd take over him, but would gladly have him over anyone in this era of SG's.
career average of 14.8 and only averaged 20 ppg once (99-00 season).

not sure why you would think this guy is better than every SG in league besides Harden.  he was an ok player in his day.  he'd be ok in today's game. 

« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2015, 02:12:34 PM »

Offline TheTruthFot18

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 263
  • Truth Juice
Sully would be fun to watch when big men only stayed down low and were only 6'8/ 6'9. He'd be like Dwight Howard running around the perimeter  ;D
The Nets will finish with the worst record and the Celtics will end up with the 4th pick.

- Me (sometime in January)

--------------------------------------------------------

Guess I was wrong (May 23rd)

« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2015, 08:54:21 PM »

Offline A Future of Stevens

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 495
I think another interesting swap would be to put prime Shaq into the Russell and Wilt era. Shaq was so physically dominant it would have been interesting to see the Wilt vs Shaq matchups, especially in an era that saw alot of teams feed the ball into the big. Also in terms of pure size, it would have been interesting to see an equal for wilt, and to see if the Russell Cs would have been as dominant if there was another super dominant center out there.
#JKJB

« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2015, 09:16:48 PM »

Offline Greenbean

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 418

career average of 14.8 and only averaged 20 ppg once (99-00 season).

not sure why you would think this guy is better than every SG in league besides Harden.  he was an ok player in his day.  he'd be ok in today's game.

There was a 5 year stretch where he scored btw 17 and 20 a year. Pretty consistent.

You may remember him as an OK player because he played in an era rich with 2 guards. I also remember him as a choker. But the posters point is that this era is a bit thin on shooting guards. Actuaally it seems the position is getting phased out. Maybe Eddie Jones wouldnt even be considered a 2 in todays league. I mean is Klay Thompson a 2? SO that would be my argument. Im not going to say Jones was just an average player though because he was pretty good for a stretch.

« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2015, 09:43:47 PM »

Offline Matthew Shorten

• Drew Peterson
  • Tommy Points: 1
I'd like to see Bill Bradley and Dave Debuschere of Knicks in this era of 3 pointers and stretch big men. Debuschere would be like K. Love who played tenacious D. With Clyde and Pearl in backcourt, and Willis hitting mid range jumpers, they'd be unstoppable.