Author Topic: is Marc Gasol now a possibility for the c's?  (Read 5576 times)

Re: is Marc Gasol now a possibility for the c's?
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2015, 09:35:45 PM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
If we move Wallace and renounce our cap holds, we could sign three max free agents.
I don't think Marc is going anywhere.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2015, 09:51:01 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
I would skip.

He has not been able to lift his team past the 2nd round for several years now

Yet he will want to get paid as the guy "who can" . He is aging fast, will be dealing with injuries more and more soon.

skip

Did you somehow miss him and Randolph leading them to the conference finals 2 years ago, where they ran out of gas, didn't have enough offense against the Spurs (which is why I thought that Jeff Green could have put them over the top, but I guess that I was wrong on that one, lol ;D), and started that post season by overcoming a 2-0 deficit to the Clippers, after which they beat OKC in five games (even though Westbrook was out after the injury resulting from the whole Patrick Beverly thing, but still)?

Regardless, he's not coming here.  The Knicks make a lot of sense for both sides, especially if New York somehow doesn't 'luck' ::) their way into the top pick, but even if that happens, they could possibly still wind up with Okafor and Gasol could then form a new version of the pf/c duo in Memphis in New York, but the real selling point is his perfect fit for the triangle, of which I'm sure he'll discuss with his brother.  That's not to say that he couldn't go somewhere else, but I can definitely see him as a Knick.

« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2015, 09:56:15 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
I would skip.

Yet he will want to get paid as the guy "who can" . He is aging fast, will be dealing with injuries more and more soon.

skip

Did you somehow miss him and Randolph leading them to the conference finals 2 years ago, where they ran out of gas, didn't have enough offense against the Spurs (which is why I thought that Jeff Green could have put them over the top, but I guess that I was wrong on that one, lol ;D), and started that post season by overcoming a 2-0 deficit to the Clippers, after which they beat OKC in five games (even though Westbrook was out after the injury resulting from the whole Patrick Beverly thing, but still)?

Regardless, he's not coming here.  The Knicks make a lot of sense for both sides, especially if New York somehow doesn't 'luck' ::) their way into the top pick, but even if that happens, they could possibly still wind up with Okafor and Gasol could then form a new version of the pf/c duo in Memphis in New York, but the real selling point is his perfect fit for the triangle, of which I'm sure he'll discuss with his brother.  That's not to say that he couldn't go somewhere else, but I can definitely see him as a Knick.
I don't see him leaving. I just don't.
NY makes sense as you said but I feel like he may be one of the few guys who actually looks at being in NY as a minor negative rather than a selling point.

For those saying he's not the right fit.
He is probably the 2nd best center in the NBA he's a great passer, defender, and a very good rebounder and scorer. He fits pretty perfectly here. Plus his brother is still a beast at a more advanced age and gasol is such a smart player who doesn't rely on athleticism a ton. He would be incredible here.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2015, 09:56:36 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
I wonder which other teams could take 2 max guys.
As far as I know, Boston can't take 2 max guys without dumping the salary of 2 of the 3 players:  Wallace, Bradley, Thomas

« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2015, 10:33:23 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
I don't see it happening, but I'd LOVE to have him.

« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2015, 10:55:33 PM »

Offline konkmv

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
Not happening

« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2015, 10:59:07 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Tommy Heinsohn
  • Tommy Points: 2753
He would be my top target for this celtics team. I can see Ainge getting him here if he really wants him. A top defensive center and low post scorer who can pass, just what this team needs. Stevens would utilize him extremely well.

« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2015, 09:52:46 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1826
I wonder which other teams could take 2 max guys.
As far as I know, Boston can't take 2 max guys without dumping the salary of 2 of the 3 players:  Wallace, Bradley, Thomas

Depends on the max players and the years of service. Dumping Wallace or stretching him is a requirement though.

« Reply #23 on: May 17, 2015, 10:24:40 AM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
No reason for him to come here. I am shocked that are people that wouldn't want us to see him sign us, though. If for some reason he really liked the celtics, I would love him.

Same here. He seems to have the type of game that will age well, too, since he's not really athletically-dependent. Honestly, though, I'd rather have a more athletic DJ or WCS type for our run-and-gun system, or even a Turner type who can defend down low and stretch the floor.

I think a big man who can pass well is a better option for the Celtics system than an athletically gifted, offensively deficient center who can dunk.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #24 on: May 17, 2015, 11:17:34 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I think a big man who can pass well is a better option for the Celtics system than an athletically gifted, offensively deficient center who can dunk.

Just so we get rid of defensively deficient guys, I am all for it.

« Reply #25 on: May 17, 2015, 11:39:10 AM »

Offline GetLucky

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 349
I was going to start a thread like this the otehr day but forgot to. Like most of you, I figured that it makes no logical sense for Gasol to leave, so I didn't even consider him a posibility. That was until Friday night.

Did any of you watch the Grzzlies-Warriors game? At the end, Gasol had the look. The "our season's over for the umpteenth time and we will never go any further" look. The look Kevin Love had in that press conference before he left Minnesota. The look LeBron had when we ran him off the floor in 2010. When the crowd gave him a standing ovation, he never saluted them or acknowleged them. He didn't even high-five any of his teammates. He simply sat down and stared into space. 

So I think Gasol is a possibility now. Maybe he's not a strong one, but I definitely think he'll explore his options now more than he otherwise would've. The postseason does weird things, and I think Gasol wants to get his ring. It's up to the Celtics to convinve him to do it in green.

« Reply #26 on: May 18, 2015, 12:14:52 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
I would skip.

skip

I kinda feel this way too in a way, because I see Marc Gasol as being in the "Paul Milsap" group of players who are really good players, but not superstar/franchise-player/carry-the-team type guys.

Gasol has never really been much more than above average as a scorer all things considered, and over his career he's only really been a good (rather than great) rebounder.  He is an extremely good defensive player of course and a very good passer for a big man, but like Millsap I see him more as a #2 or #3 guy rather than the type of guy who is going to change the face of your franchise. 

I wouldn't object to seeing him in Boston, but I'd really only like to add him if we can secure a legitimate #1 guy (or at least a <25 year old with star potential) so add alongside him.

For example if we could pick up Monroe and then team him with Gasol, that could be a devastating front court..and Gasol's jumpshot combined with his rim protection would probably cover many of Monroe's flaws.  Plus Monroe could learn from the more experienced Gasol so then Marc starts to fall off in 2 or 3 years Monroe is ready to take his place.

Likewise you could probably combine Gasol with Deandre Jordan for a dominant defensive frontcourt, with Gasol helping to cover some of Jordan's offensive limitations.

I don't think Gasol can ever be a dominant player on his own, but I think he's he's a very good "second half" to a dominant front line.  He's got such a versatile skill set that if you combine him with just about any star or borderline star big man, you'd likely end up with a pretty deadly combination.

For example, you could combine Marc Gasol with Pau Gasol, with Greg Monroe, with Paul Milsap, with DeAndre Jordan, with Kevin Love, with Blake Griffin, with Dwight Howard, etc.  I think just about any one of those combinations would be deadly.

« Reply #27 on: May 18, 2015, 01:49:13 AM »

Offline CelticsFanFromNYC

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 137
Get that guy out of hear