Author Topic: Sherrod Blakely- C's to put a package deal for Aldridge and Matthews  (Read 51582 times)

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
http://www.csnne.com/boston-celtics/lamarcus-aldridge-possibility-for-Celtics-free-agency

It can be found in the video above. Yes, it's Blakely, so it obviously needs to be taken with a grain of salt. However, we would have the cap space to sign both, assuming we move Wallace with a #1 attached. They're supposedly really close friends, so it's likely they would like to remain together if at all possible. So what if we overpay for Matthews, overpaying considering his achilles tear, just to sign Aldridge?

http://www.oregonlive.com/blazers/index.ssf/2015/03/trail_blazers_wear_with_wes_t-shirts_in_support_of.html

To show their support for the Matthews, who had surgery this morning to repair a torn left Achilles tendon, the Blazers wore T-shirts with the slogan "With Wes" across the front and "RE2URN" on the back.

Nearly every Blazers player and coach wore the T-shirts prior to the game against the Houston Rockets on Thursday. LaMarcus Aldridge, Matthews' closest friend on the team, came up with the idea for the T-shirts.

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I love Wes Matthews, but I wouldn't make a substantial offer to him in free agency.  The injury he suffered is historically one of the worst kinds of injuries a player can suffer in terms of recovery and affect on the player's career long term.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Are you sure we have cap space to sign both?  We'd have to deal with Wallace at the very least, right?

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
We should, assuming we find a suitor for Wallace (sending out a first or two in the process).

I'm ok with overpaying Wes Matthews if it means that we have a shot at LMA. I doubt we're the only franchise that is ok with that idea.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277
Blakely? Well let's temper our expectations. Though I would love Wes Matthews.

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25582
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I can't imagine that Aldridge has any interest in Boston.  I don't trust anything that Blakely "reports".

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
If they're down with it, I'm down with it, assuming LMA is willing to sign a 4 year deal.  Wouldnt like it if we paid Matthews extra only for Adridge to change his mind in a year, leaving us with an overpaid Matthews.

And yes, I know it's Blakely, but I'd totally believe the Celtics would make that offer (since a healthy Matthews fills another need).  It doesn't mean I'd expect such a deal to actually be agreed to, however.

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

We will see what happens

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
We should, assuming we find a suitor for Wallace (sending out a first or two in the process).

I'm ok with overpaying Wes Matthews if it means that we have a shot at LMA. I doubt we're the only franchise that is ok with that idea.

I agree with that, but how many teams will have the cap room to sign both? Plus, if Aldridge's goal is to advance deep into the playoffs, it would behoove him to go to the East.

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville
To be precise, he says there is a 35.4% chance of this happening. Which means 64.6% this is not happening, therefore it is not happening.

Re: Sherrod Blakely- C's to put a package deal for Aldridge and Matthews
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2015, 07:09:15 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
I can't imagine that Aldridge has any interest in Boston.  I don't trust anything that Blakely "reports".

As a playoff team with cap space to sign a max free agent, I think Boston probably draws at least some interest from any player who really likes both money and winning.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2015, 07:17:41 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1800
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

As a playoff team with cap space to sign a max free agent, I think Boston probably draws at least some interest from any player who really likes both money and winning.

Absolutely - we also offer the opportunity of signing his good friend which very few teams (with division winning potential) can do. I am not huge on Matthews, but mostly because of his injury. He is a consistent 40% 3PT shooter and has the ability to score in several ways.

Aldridge would obviously be a ridiculous acquisition.

« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2015, 07:29:16 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson

Absolutely - we also offer the opportunity of signing his good friend which very few teams (with division winning potential) can do. I am not huge on Matthews, but mostly because of his injury. He is a consistent 40% 3PT shooter and has the ability to score in several ways.

Aldridge would obviously be a ridiculous acquisition.

That's where I'm at too. We can offer Aldridge a lot, and not just in terms of max money.

« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2015, 07:33:47 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
How much would Matthews cost? If you could get him for 11 mil a year you have made us contenders
Beggining: 23 mil in cap (roughly)
Wallace + 28 for future top 55 protected 2 (+11)
AB for 12 (+8)
Qualify Crowder (-1.1)
Draft pick holds (-3.3 and less if we trade up)
Sign Matthews (-12)
Sign Aldridge (-19)

End: 6.6 mil space

Team
Smart Thomas
Matthews
Turner Crowder
Sullinger Olynyk
Aldridge Zeller

Dont forget we still have 6.6 mil in room and picks 12, 16, all the future picks and Sully and Olynyk.

I mean 12 + 16 + Sully could maybe get you 6 which would actually add 3 mil in cap. Trade Turner for future picks and all of a sudden you have 13.1 mil in space and can make a run at a guy like Robin Lopez.

Can you imagine if we could snag Justice Winslow or WCS with #6 and then signed Lopez???

Smart IT4
Matthews Young
Crowder Winslow
Aldridge Olynyk
Lopez zeller.

Also that puts us right in line with the cap so we would free up another 20 mil next summer.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2015, 07:44:43 PM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 563
The Knicks and Lakers have the cap space for both.  The Mavs could free up enough cap space.  The Spurs could potentially do so.