Author Topic: Danny's great trade, playoff Rondo  (Read 10446 times)

Re: Danny's great trade, playoff Rondo
« Reply #30 on: April 19, 2015, 02:13:17 PM »

Offline Blaze4G

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 6
OP needs to watch the game. Rondo brought back the mavs to a tied game in the second after scoring 11 points in a few minutes. When Rondo misses a couple shots or has a turnover, Rick pulls him from the game for an extended period.

If you jump over to the Mavs forum, many of the fans are complaining about Ellis and saying they would prefer to keep Rondo than Ellis. I would prefer take their word on how Rondo has been doing since they actually watch the games rather than Rondo bashers on here.

The most recent case were they complained about Ellis is in game one of second quarter, rondo had the ball on almost all plays on their run to tie the game. Many Mavs fans says they need a 3 and D shooting guard and resign rondo while letting Ellis walk.

« Reply #31 on: April 19, 2015, 02:13:21 PM »

Offline BornReady

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 40
I think cuz he is not being used in an optimal system for his skills

As a pass first player in a ball movin offence, his skills are clearly going to be under used
It is best for the mavs to playing their strengths and ignore the rondo experiment as he clearly has not fit
Running the offense through dirk,monta and parsons gives a less predictable offense

I believe the mavs got rondo mainly for his defence and playoff exp

« Reply #32 on: April 19, 2015, 02:35:11 PM »

Offline sed522002

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 221
OP needs to watch the game. Rondo brought back the mavs to a tied game in the second after scoring 11 points in a few minutes. When Rondo misses a couple shots or has a turnover, Rick pulls him from the game for an extended period.

If you jump over to the Mavs forum, many of the fans are complaining about Ellis and saying they would prefer to keep Rondo than Ellis. I would prefer take their word on how Rondo has been doing since they actually watch the games rather than Rondo bashers on here.

The most recent case were they complained about Ellis is in game one of second quarter, rondo had the ball on almost all plays on their run to tie the game. Many Mavs fans says they need a 3 and D shooting guard and resign rondo while letting Ellis walk.

Yeah, I seen that on their blog. They were p---ED at Monta. I don't blame them. He made Brewer and Jet look like the splash brothers, yet he played like 38 mins or so and Rondo played 27..that's on Rick for how he's using Rondo .

« Reply #33 on: April 19, 2015, 02:37:54 PM »

Offline jeezem

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 11
if they want to win, they have to unleash Rondo.  they can not beat Houston any other way.  Dirk is the team leader, but they have to let Rondo be the floor leader.  You got a guy who can get 20 assists, 15 points, 5 steals, and will play with a broken arm, why not let him help the team win.  Parson's getting the ball 25 feet from the basket, and Ellis looks a bit off, trying to play 1 on 1 - Dirk getting picked off passing out of double teams.  Dallas just looks like a team that's not firing enough.  Sometimes you gotta let your players just play.  I think Phil Jackson would agree with me.   He would run triangle, but there is a certain amount of the players just have to be able to play the game to his coaching style.  Dallas looks flat, and I'll put that on the Coach before any one of their players, unless it was Lebron, then I would point my finger at a player ... lol

« Reply #34 on: April 19, 2015, 02:40:55 PM »

Offline celtics2030

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 72
I predicted this would happen a couple years ago.

That's how Celtic fans, and fans in general are, Love the player, give him props, defend him, but then he gets traded and the same fans turn on him HARD.

That's why I do not like forums much,

Getting ripped to pieces , getting called a hater, this and that, when you state the facts, then when he gets traded, fans then only open their eyes to those facts.

It's a hateful business being a fan.

« Reply #35 on: April 19, 2015, 04:16:31 PM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
if they want to win, they have to unleash Rondo.  they can not beat Houston any other way.  Dirk is the team leader, but they have to let Rondo be the floor leader.  You got a guy who can get 20 assists, 15 points, 5 steals, and will play with a broken arm, why not let him help the team win.  Parson's getting the ball 25 feet from the basket, and Ellis looks a bit off, trying to play 1 on 1 - Dirk getting picked off passing out of double teams.  Dallas just looks like a team that's not firing enough.  Sometimes you gotta let your players just play.  I think Phil Jackson would agree with me.   He would run triangle, but there is a certain amount of the players just have to be able to play the game to his coaching style.  Dallas looks flat, and I'll put that on the Coach before any one of their players, unless it was Lebron, then I would point my finger at a player ... lol

Rondo is not the player he once was. Thank God, Danny understood that and Cuban didn't.

« Reply #36 on: April 19, 2015, 04:20:18 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2993
I predicted this would happen a couple years ago.

That's how Celtic fans, and fans in general are, Love the player, give him props, defend him, but then he gets traded and the same fans turn on him HARD.

That's why I do not like forums much,

Getting ripped to pieces , getting called a hater, this and that, when you state the facts, then when he gets traded, fans then only open their eyes to those facts.

It's a hateful business being a fan.

Except that didn't happen with PP or KG  ;)

« Reply #37 on: April 19, 2015, 04:25:56 PM »

Offline TA9

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 118
  • I Bleed Green
Rondo can't play with Monta because he's taking the ball away from his hands. Either Monta has to learn to play without the ball in his hands or Dallas will have to let one of the two walk this off season.
Jack of all trades, master of none.

« Reply #38 on: April 19, 2015, 04:45:29 PM »

Offline GratefulCs

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 496
  • Salmon and Mashed Potatoes
Maybe there would have been less of this if there were less of the "you'll see the real value of Rondo come playoffs" type of talk when he was traded away.
true
I trust Danny Ainge

« Reply #39 on: April 19, 2015, 04:52:37 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1797
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
On another note, I know some people weren't necessarily psyched that we made the playoffs since several guys weren't going to be here next year anyway. No matter what happens, I am happy to see  guys like KO and Smart playing well since they are a part of our future. I am also mostly satisfied with IT4 even though he isn't at his peak.

« Reply #40 on: April 20, 2015, 09:20:36 AM »

Offline Iggzilla

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 8
i don't think we got all that much from the trade, honestly. Now, if we landed some of the trade ideas going on around here last year, then it would've been a great trade.

Really? Through that Rondo trade, we got Jae Crowder (a versatile wing who can be our own DeMarre Carroll; his 3-point shooting just needs polishing) and Brandan Wright (part of the PHX trade for Isaiah Thomas). While the trade looked like nothing at the time, in the end Danny was able to flip some of the pieces he got for pieces which helped land us in the playoffs. Even if he didn't trade Wright, we could have used him as our rim protector.

Rondo's trade value at the time just wasn't good...nobody wants a PG who can't shoot, can't hit free throws, and dominates the ball to the point that he clogs up offenses. Modern NBA offenses don't call for that type of player--just look what he did to Dallas. It was like throwing a wrench in a machine; the team just fell from their perch as the league's best offense. I love Rondo, but he's more of a liability at this point of his career.

« Reply #41 on: April 20, 2015, 09:43:50 AM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
Rondo played well and actually kept the Mavs in the game. Watch the NBA recap video:

http://www.nba.com/games/20150418/DALHOU/gameinfo.html?ls=eref:google:1b:post

« Reply #42 on: April 20, 2015, 07:31:09 PM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
Rondo is a liability. He has been for awhile.

His trade helped clear the way for this young team to blossom.

No hate, just not any of the silliness perpetuated on this board for years and years and years about an obviously flawed player, on the court and between the years.

The Celtics are better because Rondo is gone. Fact.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #43 on: April 20, 2015, 07:43:50 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
i don't think we got all that much from the trade, honestly. 

Crowder
1st rd pick from Dallas next season (potential lottery pick)
2nd rd pick Minny 2016 (likely high 2nd rd pick)
2nd rd pick Minny 2017 (likely high 2nd rd pick)
12.9M Trade Exception (a trade exception is how we essentially got Zeller and a 1st, with the latter flipped for Thomas)

Some dominoes that occurred...

Allowed us to give Smart more playing time.

We probably wouldn't have traded for Thomas with Rondo still on the team. Instead, a potential deal might have been completed during the summer. However, that's no certainty.

We didn't risk overpaying Rondo or losing him without compensation.

« Reply #44 on: April 20, 2015, 08:32:51 PM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 562
i don't think we got all that much from the trade, honestly. Now, if we landed some of the trade ideas going on around here last year, then it would've been a great trade.

Really? Through that Rondo trade, we got Jae Crowder (a versatile wing who can be our own DeMarre Carroll; his 3-point shooting just needs polishing) and Brandan Wright (part of the PHX trade for Isaiah Thomas). While the trade looked like nothing at the time, in the end Danny was able to flip some of the pieces he got for pieces which helped land us in the playoffs. Even if he didn't trade Wright, we could have used him as our rim protector.

Rondo's trade value at the time just wasn't good...nobody wants a PG who can't shoot, can't hit free throws, and dominates the ball to the point that he clogs up offenses. Modern NBA offenses don't call for that type of player--just look what he did to Dallas. It was like throwing a wrench in a machine; the team just fell from their perch as the league's best offense. I love Rondo, but he's more of a liability at this point of his career.
Jay Crowder is a free agent so he could easily go elsewhere.  Brandan Wright was not part of the Thomas trade.  Wright was trade earlier for the Timberwolves protected 1st that most likely end up as two seconds.