Author Topic: Greg Oden, if he's legit healthy, any interest in him still?  (Read 7645 times)

Re: Greg Oden, if he's legit healthy, any interest in him still?
« Reply #30 on: March 19, 2015, 10:49:18 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1826
When has Oden ever been "legit" healthy. Pass.

Ditto.

The main interest was to drive the discussion away from a worry about health, and focus more on the hypothetical of him being a real option to us and if his recent personal problems were enough of an obstacle to you guys or not to give him a chance, with the variable of remaining skills (mainly drawing from what you saw last season as he was coming back) he might still possess.

But how can you have a legit discussion about Oden without discussing health?  That's always been the elephant in the room with him and will continue to carry with the guy. 

Hypothetically, he could come back as Bill Russell or he can Sam Bowie himself & be done for good. 

Personal problems aside, I'm not sure there is anything Oden can bring to the table at this point besides being a warm body.  I'd rather try & address the C position by going after a legit starter caliber center.  Not another backup quality/end of bench big man.  We seem to have those already although Zeller has proven to be quite serviceable and a pleasant surprise.

Because I really have no interest on whether you guys think he's healthy enough to play or not, that's a boring discussion in itself, there's nothing to contribute on that regard. Either he's healthy or he isn't, there's really nothing more to discuss on that regard unless we're talking about a big contract, and that isn't the case here. No one would be advocating that type of deal.

My interest is plain and simple in getting your thoughts on how his personal issues in particular affect your interest in this player if the option where to be there.

The rest, well... I honestly don't care for. The main issue at this point is a skills vs. personal issues vs. roster space dilemma, health is simply a matter of diagnosis from the medical experts. If you don't trust them, well nothing we can do on that regard. But again, no one is advocating a big contract, and we have plenty of spending power going forward, so the health risk is very minute to the point that it's negligible in my opinion aside from letting the medical experts pass judgment upon evaluating him.

« Reply #31 on: March 19, 2015, 11:03:29 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Legit healthy and Oden is a folly.

« Reply #32 on: March 19, 2015, 11:39:54 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Legit healthy and Oden is a folly.

Agreed.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #33 on: June 21, 2015, 10:30:52 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1826
Not much to add to this, but I guess we'll be hearing a bit more on him once free-agency starts, so a small update:

Former No. 1 overall pick Greg Oden will participate in the Dallas Mavericks' free-agent minicamp next week as he continues to work toward another NBA comeback, a source said.

Ohio State coach Thad Matta, who coached Oden during his one season in college, told reporters at the NCAA tournament in Portland that Oden had been doing "high-level training" on campus for sixth months and had slimmed down to about 280 pounds.

"Quite honestly, I haven't seen Greg look this good since when he played for us back in the day at Ohio State," Matta said in March. "His attitude is off the charts."

RealGM.com first reported Oden's planned participation in the Mavs' minicamp. RealGM.com also reported that Oden worked out for the Charlotte Hornets on Wednesday and the Memphis Grizzlies recently.

http://espn.go.com/dallas/nba/story/_/id/13121177/former-no-1-overall-pick-greg-oden-participate-dallas-mavericks-free-agent-minicamp

« Reply #34 on: June 21, 2015, 10:46:26 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
Wouldn't touch him with a 10 foot pole.

Pair him with Embiid and you'd have the tallest bench ever to never play a single game.

Wonder if Andrew Bynum is also available to add to the mix?