Author Topic: C's close to signing Javale McGee (not no more!)  (Read 46648 times)

Re: C's close to signing Javale McGee
« Reply #165 on: March 05, 2015, 02:07:53 PM »

Offline aingeforthree

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 134
You got Zeller and Thomas free because of a TPE.

Many on here were giving up the world in trade to get McGee out here when he was with Denver.  Now, Ainge lands him for free and at low risk/low cost.

It pays to be patient.

« Reply #166 on: March 05, 2015, 02:08:47 PM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448
McGee can block shots.  He has put up impressive shot blocking statistics in the past (like elite level).  We have no one who can and the risk is minimal.  I'm all for it.

Hoping for gravy in some offensive rebounds and easy alley oop baskets we get with spacing.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #167 on: March 05, 2015, 02:09:24 PM »

Offline aingeforthree

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 134
I think we need to start off with the lowered expectation that McGee can be a capable backup behind Zeller who is asked to be an energy big off the bench.

I think that is the expectation.  He comes in off the bench to defend and plays 10-20 minutes per night, depending on his performance.

« Reply #168 on: March 05, 2015, 02:12:13 PM »

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182

Many on here were giving up the world in trade to get McGee out here when he was with Denver.  Now, Ainge lands him for free and at low risk/low cost.

It pays to be patient.

That's why DA is our GM and not any of the posters on this board.  We need to give DA his due, he creates assets seemingly out of thin air.  A trade exception turns into players and draft picks?? 

Only a master at his craft can pull off what DA has managed to do so far.  We're in rebuild mode but we have a legit shot at pushing for the playoffs even after dealing our aging stars.  The Brad Stevens hire is also looking like a very good move right now.

« Reply #169 on: March 05, 2015, 02:14:12 PM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas

It pays to be patient.

That's why DA is our GM and not any of the posters on this board.  We need to give DA his due, he creates assets seemingly out of thin air.  A trade exception turns into players and draft picks?? 

Only a master at his craft can pull off what DA has managed to do so far.  We're in rebuild mode but we have a legit shot at pushing for the playoffs even after dealing our aging stars.  The Brad Stevens hire is also looking like a very good move right now.

Agreed on all parts.  And we aren't going to have a good pick probably but we seem to have bad luck with the lottery anyways.  And we aren't pitiful like the 76ers.  I'm glad.

« Reply #170 on: March 05, 2015, 02:17:24 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
I think as of now McGee will play around 10-15 minutes a game off the bench backing up Zeller. They will keep his job simply by keeping him around the hoop on both sides of the ball and not asking him to do too much.

I wouldn't be surprised if by the end of the season Olynyk and McGee are starters but they both will be coming off the bench and working their way into more minutes.

People that are acting like Olynyk isn't any good have a short memory. To start the season, he was very good shooting a high percentage, making the extra pass and rebounding. For a good portion of the season he lead our team in VORP, BPM, and Win shares. He might not have met your expectations but lineups with him in them did better than those without him.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #171 on: March 05, 2015, 02:22:28 PM »

Offline furball

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 95
Well, so much for that.  Jay King ?@ByJayKing 7m7 minutes ago

Fair enough. RT @SteveBHoop: JaVale McGee will NOT be coming to the Celtics. The sides couldn't reach agreement on a contract.

« Reply #172 on: March 05, 2015, 02:23:54 PM »

Offline j804

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 3072
  • BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS
Blah wanted to see what he'd look like that sucks but not worth to overpay thats for sure
"7ft PG. Rondo leaves and GUESS WHAT? We got a BIGGER point guard!"-Tommy on Olynyk

« Reply #173 on: March 05, 2015, 02:24:15 PM »

Offline bdm860

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 4601
This is reasonable, so long as he gets the minimum for next year or is at least partially unguaranteed.  It would have been stupid to only sign him for the rest of the season, especially since he doesn't seem to have recovered fully from his injuries.

Here's angle people may not have considered.  McGee's agent is BJ Armstrong, who represents pending free agents Omer Asik and Draymond Green (and Bismack Biymobo and Brandon Knight).
That agent is getting paid this coming year. Most those guys have done well this year. Some good enough for ten + million per.

I chuckled a little at you referring to BJ Armstrong as "that agent."  This is NBA All-Star and 3x champ BJ Armstrong we're talking about here.  "That agent" makes it sound like he's a nobody, like just some mayor in Sacramento, or some no name like whoever James Young's agent is.

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #174 on: March 05, 2015, 02:26:54 PM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
Bah ahah that's why you don't get caught up in rumors I suppose.  Funny how things work these days.

But yeah, agreed with j804 I'd rather not overpay.

« Reply #175 on: March 05, 2015, 02:28:00 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1041
We just got David West'd.  :-\

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #176 on: March 05, 2015, 02:30:01 PM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
We just got David West'd.  :-\

Wow that's not even close to the same level.  I hope we weren't expecting that much from him.

It's a small loss from me, especially if he wanted too much.  Wasn't worth an investment that would sacrifice any bigger plans past this season.

« Reply #177 on: March 05, 2015, 02:33:22 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #178 on: March 05, 2015, 02:33:27 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Well, so much for that.  Jay King ?@ByJayKing 7m7 minutes ago

Fair enough. RT @SteveBHoop: JaVale McGee will NOT be coming to the Celtics. The sides couldn't reach agreement on a contract.

Its ok. Mcgee prob wanted 5 plus million a year. Danny said no

« Reply #179 on: March 05, 2015, 02:33:55 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1572
all about the option for next year.  Celtics wanted team.  McGee wanted player.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip