Author Topic: Rondo missed both free throws in clutch again  (Read 17279 times)

Re: Rondo missed both free throws in clutch again
« Reply #45 on: December 30, 2014, 10:51:07 AM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
All things considered, I regret posting in this thread. I agree it's silly to nitpick how many FTs Rondo missed in a game Dallas won... in December, no less.

I was only pointing out that Rondo's FT shooting is an elephant in the room for the team he plays for. The change of scenery hasn't improved things, and it's mental now for him. For a variety of reasons (both personal and team driven) he's got to figure it out ASAGDP, IMO. I certainly hope he does.

Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #46 on: December 30, 2014, 12:05:48 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
Player breaks hand. Makes it back super fast showing major toughness and leadership. Has bad free throw percentage. Leads league in assists and rebs at his position.

Must trade for JR Giddens and a trade exception.

Maybe we can get Andre Drummond for a late first and a trade exception. His shooting just isn't up to par. And he didn't even break his hand.
rond broke his left hand. he shoots ft with his right hand. now please make your case based on this info.
You think breaking your left hand is helpful to shooting?

« Reply #47 on: December 30, 2014, 12:09:45 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Player breaks hand. Makes it back super fast showing major toughness and leadership. Has bad free throw percentage. Leads league in assists and rebs at his position.

Maybe we can get Andre Drummond for a late first and a trade exception. His shooting just isn't up to par. And he didn't even break his hand.
rond broke his left hand. he shoots ft with his right hand. now please make your case based on this info.
You think that his free throw percentage is in any way related to his hand injury? It's been bad from the get-go, and has mostly gotten worse over time.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #48 on: December 30, 2014, 12:22:23 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman

You think that his free throw percentage is in any way related to his hand injury? It's been bad from the get-go, and has mostly gotten worse over time.
I definitely think given a completely healthy off season of rest and regular conditioning he could easily revert to form. It's not like he's Kobe's age

« Reply #49 on: December 30, 2014, 12:33:57 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
I definitely think given a completely healthy off season of rest and regular conditioning he could easily revert to form. It's not like he's Kobe's age
Oh, I didn't realize that we're treating 60% FT shooting as some sort of "form" worth talking about (mostly because I don't think that the fact that he's shooting .310 right now is anything but white noise). What's concerning is that 8+ seasons in, he hasn't even made a proverbial inch of progress beyond said 60%.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #50 on: December 30, 2014, 12:35:09 PM »

Online hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2673
  • bammokja

eja, you are not directly addressing the questions being raised here. rondo's free throw shooting has always been questionable, to put it kindly. this season it has been brutally bad.

the questions raised centered on your earlier point that indicated his left hand injury was the culprit behind the decline in a right handed shooter.

but more to the point, rondo's poor ft shooting is one of his warts. what is more interesting, to me, is how it will play out in dallas.

come crunch time, will hack-a-rondo be a common tactic by other teams? if so, how will dallas handle it?
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #51 on: December 30, 2014, 12:52:20 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman

eja, you are not directly addressing the questions being raised here. rondo's free throw shooting has always been questionable, to put it kindly. this season it has been brutally bad.

the questions raised centered on your earlier point that indicated his left hand injury was the culprit behind the decline in a right handed shooter.

but more to the point, rondo's poor ft shooting is one of his warts. what is more interesting, to me, is how it will play out in dallas.

come crunch time, will hack-a-rondo be a common tactic by other teams? if so, how will dallas handle it?
They'll probably pull out tapes of Rondo contributing mightily to two deep playoff runs and correctly concluding it's a non-issue.

« Reply #52 on: December 30, 2014, 01:04:02 PM »

Offline greg683x

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 585

They'll probably pull out tapes of Rondo contributing mightily to two deep playoff runs and correctly concluding it's a non-issue.

Because Shaq had never contributed to a deep playoff run before someone tried it on him
Greg

« Reply #53 on: December 30, 2014, 01:10:10 PM »

Offline TwinTower14

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 48

I am not a Rondo guy but it's not going to effect Dallas.  Luckily Dallas has other guys that can handle the ball late in games and taking the hack of Rondo out of the equation...They also have a pretty bright coach over there in Dallas too, I don't think it will factor.  Spacing the floor in the half court will be an issue, like it was with the C's and Rondo during they playoff run years...

« Reply #54 on: December 30, 2014, 01:16:24 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman

Because Shaq had never contributed to a deep playoff run before someone tried it on him
And then he never contributed ever again

« Reply #55 on: December 30, 2014, 01:24:53 PM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428

I am not a Rondo guy but it's not going to effect Dallas.  Luckily Dallas has other guys that can handle the ball late in games and taking the hack of Rondo out of the equation...They also have a pretty bright coach over there in Dallas too, I don't think it will factor.  Spacing the floor in the half court will be an issue, like it was with the C's and Rondo during they playoff run years...
smart coach indeed
anyone see the first rondo game where rick had rondo in center of 1/2 court right near foul line, dishing the ball and well within his range  :o

they have a very good shooting guard, super solid sf, very good defensive center, instant offense pf and that guy at pg
one tough starting lineup

« Reply #56 on: December 30, 2014, 01:27:31 PM »

Offline littleteapot

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 93
sorry wrong thread
How do you feel about websites where people with similar interests share their opinions?
I'm forum!

« Reply #57 on: December 30, 2014, 01:38:57 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 890
31% free throw shooting is really bad, regardless of whether the last two that he missed were clutch or not.  All he has to do though is get hot and make 30 in a row and he will be back up to his career average of 60%.

And for defense, it looks like he did very well against Westbrook.  I didn't see the game but comments were posted that Rondo was aggressive and in Westbrook all game.  I am sure Dallas was happy to see that.  Schroder got 22 on Rondo and pretty much ran right by him all night though.  I don't think anyone doubts that Rondo can play good defense when he wants to but I don't think Rondo is (or ever was) an all league defender.

I know he has 4 all NBA defensive selections that can be waved in my face to say my assessment isn't true but I watched plenty of those seasons and I never saw Rondo as a defensive difference maker.  On Dallas, I am sure they will be happy if he is just good on defense.

« Reply #58 on: December 30, 2014, 02:05:04 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
Do we really need to go over the difference between how and when Shaq handles the ball (as opposed to your average PG)?
« Last Edit: December 30, 2014, 02:12:42 PM by kozlodoev »

« Reply #59 on: December 30, 2014, 02:15:51 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
Do we really need to go over the difference between how and when Shaq handles the ball (as opposed to your average PG)?
Shaq had the ball in his hands quite a bit. Difference was he was trying to score with it, whereas Rondo isn't