Author Topic: 17 Years later the next Duncan is here. J. Okafor  (Read 12366 times)

Re: 17 Years later the next Duncan is here. J. Okafor
« Reply #60 on: December 02, 2014, 07:13:32 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji

Call me crazy. This kid is not even fair. Keep Wiggins, Keep Parker, This kid is 18, he's 6'11" 275 pounds he's got a 7'5" wingspan and best of all It's not because he's the best athlete you have ever seen in your life, It's because he plays like a super strong super sized  Tim Duncan, This kid will be so good barring injury it's scary.

If we get Okafor we win a title within five years. Heck maybe sooner if we could lure someone else here, hell, a Celts fan can dream, Can't he?
I agree that Okafor is great. Problem is that even if we finish as bad as 5th from the bottom (really unlikely considering that Philly has already established itself as the worst, and then you have Utah, LAL, NYK, Pistons, Minny, Charlotte and Orlando) this gives us only a 8.8% chance of getting Okafor.
Even if Okafor is not nr1, the chance of getting a top-3 pick will be 29.1%. I wouldn't get myself too excited.

Cleveland against all odds won the #1 pick last year, and I believe the Bulls in 08 did as well

Which, really, isn't making it any more attractive to tank.

I'm just not really interested in basing my organizational strategy on the outcome of lottery balls anymore.

thank you. My manager was right about basketball vs football. Now correct me if I am wrong or feel free to add what I missed

The teams that tank or does bad does have a guaranteed top 10 pick, to get lotto pick is another story. But essentially, the best players in the NBA are USUALLY picked in the top 10, vs football where good players can be in any of the rounds.

How can we solve the tanking issue with all the teams and how do we get more talent in the draft that can also prevent tanking assuming pick 11 to round 2 are also decent players?

I guess the biggest argument from what I heard is the size of the team in football vs the size of 15 players on a basketball roster
50% of all HOFs were in the top 5 in draft. Having said this, especially in the last 15 years or so there have been plenty of excellent players outside not even the top-5 but even the top-10. Think Giannis, Ginobili, T. Parker, M. Gasol. Good scouting can be the answer to our problems.
In any case, next year's draft has enough Centers to keep everyone happy- even with a 7 to 10 draft pick we ll probably be fine.

I completely agree - we need much better scouting if we're ever going to be able to get great players at whatever point in the draft.  Now, I realize that you're referencing international players in your argument, but don't forget that Paul George and Joe Johnson were picked at 10, Lance Stephenson and Michael Redd were second rounders, and even Reggie Lewis was picked at 22 (the second to last pick in the first round in 1987), so it is possible to find guys, but you have to know what you're doing.  Look no further than Jimmy Butler, and, to a lesser extent, Chandler Parsons from the 2011 draft.  That said, we're not going to change or even upgrade our scouts, and Danny seems to have the owners convinced that he's a great drafter ::), so I wouldn't get my hopes up lol ;D.

« Reply #61 on: December 02, 2014, 07:14:43 PM »

Offline TheFlex

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 367
On the subject of draft eligibility... all we're doing by raising the age or grade threshold is punishing players who are able to play in today's game and may need the financial rewards of NBA life to support family that has been counting on them their whole life (see: KG, LBJ, two of the greatest to ever do it). It is the choice of a front office to pick a player whom they feel is unproven. If they would rather go for a sure thing, nothing is stopping them. Players should not be penalized for the faults of a scouting team.

Draft: 8 first rounders in next 5 years.

Cap space: $24 mil.

https://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague/

« Reply #62 on: December 02, 2014, 07:43:16 PM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 608
For every KG, Lebron and Kobe, there are Kwame Browns, Darius Miles, Sebastian Telfairs of the world. Drafting high school prospects is such a high risk.

Usual draft steals are either Jr/Sr or an international player.

« Reply #63 on: December 02, 2014, 09:14:17 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
If you go into a dark room and say "Jahlil Okafor" 3 times into a mirror, your team will be guaranteed a championship.  It's science.

I don't get it. Last year was supposed to be THE draft with transcendent talent. Wiggins, Parker, Embiid. We need one of them! Now: Next year is THE draft with Okafor, Towns,... Who will be in the 2016 draft? I'm curious who will be the next messiah?

One of my favorite parts of the offseason was watching this pivot happen less than a week after the draft.
... Are there people out there who are already dismissing Wiggins, Parker and Embiid?  Lol...  Those guys are going to be fantastic.

They're not dismissing them so much as applying the "new car loses half its value when it leaves the lot" mentality.  A subset of fans feel what players could do someday on an NBA court is a lot more exciting than what they actually do on an NBA court, and those fans often tend to closely follow draft prospects.  Once a guy's actually played in the league he's forever stained by the grime of actuality; he can't measure up to the pristine glitter of an imagined future.
Yeha maybe for a little while until some of those prospects actually reach their potential... And then two years later the reality becomes "Oh... Kevin Durant is better than Kevin Durant."  or "Oh... Anthony Davis is even better than Anthony Davis."

« Reply #64 on: December 02, 2014, 09:46:34 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Remember when Harrison Barnes was the next Kobe?

No, actually, that is not something I ever recall hearing, even once.
Well then today you can either say you learned something, or you can start to worry about your memory.  ;)

From the blogo/forumosphere:
www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=170184
https://asubstituteforwar.wordpress.com/2011/10/09/harrison-barnes-o-j-mayo-and-the-perils-of-illogical-projections/
http://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?p=39866949&sid=bfe1f244caa8730d4147cb250158969d#p39866949
http://forums.prosportsdaily.com/showthread.php?474486-An-unnamed-NBA-scout-suggests-Harrison-Barnes-is-the-next-Kobe-Bryant

And from Chad Ford:
It's been several years since I've compared a player to Kobe Bryant. Barnes is as close as you're going to get.
http://m.espn.go.com/ncb/story?storyId=5710090&insider=&wjb=

Barnes came into the matchup with an enormous amount of hype. Not only is he ranked as the No. 1 player on ESPNU's top 100 list, I have him projected as the top prospect in the 2011 NBA draft, and scouts have compared him to Kobe Bryant.
http://m.espn.go.com/general/story?storyId=5078028&pg=1&lang=ES

IIRC it was also mentioned on the broadcast of the Team USA vs. Team World game in 2010, when Barnes was still in high school.

If you didn't hear about it, I'd wager it's because you weren't paying attention.

Haven't we learned by now that Chad Ford doesn't know crap, lol?  Besides, I don't remember Barnes being compared to Kobe, either, but that's probably because I don't visit all of those sites.  My main source has always been nbadraft.net, and I believe that they compared him to Ray Allen/Luol Deng, so cut the guy some slack lol.  Geesh.

Also, weren't similar comparisons made 7 years ago when Oden was being called the best center prospect since, well, Jay Bilas said Ewing, to which I rolled my eyes, so this type of thing has happened before, and I'm sorry to say that we won't be getting any of those players - that's just not how it works for us, so I suggest that you don't get your hopes up, unfortunately, because there's no point - either we'll be shafted by the lottery as usual, or the guy won't declare, or he'll be on the board and Danny will pass on him for some moron who no one has ever heard of who likely won't be in the league in 2 years.  Sigh.

No slack cut for people who suggest that I speak disingenuously.  ;D
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #65 on: December 02, 2014, 10:23:21 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Usual draft steals are either Jr/Sr or an international player.

Fact check this, because it is not true.   Internationals have a slightly higher bust rate  than NCAA players and the real stars in the NBA today are the great freshmen out of college.

Here are some numbers prove International players have a 58% bust rate.

http://sportsnstats.com/nba-draft-euro-bust/

You only hear about the good ones that stick usually except for Darko.   When they do well it is a pleasant surprise though.