Author Topic: TV Show Draft - Gen Comm Thread  (Read 101799 times)

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
We should all be ashamed of ourselves that only one 'Seinfeld' character got taken, right? That's kind of pathetic
No shame here.

Same. One could say the same thing about 'Friends'. Also no shame to that.

Chandler Bing was a name we'd discussed. But I wasn't sure how to write him in. Not action-y enough.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

Offline RebusRankin

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 923
Rachel Green = Love Interest. What, I'm the only one with that fantasy? I think not.

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1200
We should all be ashamed of ourselves that only one 'Seinfeld' character got taken, right? That's kind of pathetic
No shame here.

Admittedly I'm not super familiar w/ friends (I've probably v watched fifteen or so episodes, and most of the time not payment ng all that much attention), but their comedy seems a little different, seems like it'd be a little tougher to just throw them on the middle of a cast.

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
No shame here.

Only one Simpsons character too I think - Sideshow Bob.

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Farnsworth Hospital gets my vote for most sincerely creative idea I've seen so far. Loads of potential there, it's like a tragic version of Kingdom Hearts.

I would've liked to see Dr Blake Downs from Childrens Hospital maybe as the Funny Man. But a lot...A LOT of comedy here will be dry, Blake Downs may have been a bit too irrelevant.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

Offline freshinthehouse

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 156
I gotta continue to ask, what was the reasoning behind the 1985 cutoff?

Offline freshinthehouse

• Don Chaney

While Friends had its moments, it's not on the same planet as Seinfeld, comedy-wise.  That's just my humble opinion, of course.

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith

Oh I thought I addressed this, sorry.

It was just a 'modern era' cutoff. Basically it was a little selfish I guess. The game sounded less fun if I had to hear about how darn funny Lucille Ball was or something. Old enough to be nostalgic, young enough to be relevant. Kind of like Jason Williams.

Offline freshinthehouse

• Don Chaney

It was just a 'modern era' cutoff. Basically it was a little selfish I guess. The game sounded less fun if I had to hear about how darn funny Lucille Ball was or something. Old enough to be nostalgic, young enough to be relevant. Kind of like Jason Williams.

I gotcha.  You probably did mention it, but I didn't see it.  It makes sense.  But if I would've been putting a show together I would've been heartbroken not to have Festus from Gunsmoke as a sidekick option.

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith

I gotcha.  You probably did mention it, but I didn't see it.  It makes sense.  But if I would've been putting a show together I would've been heartbroken not to have Festus from Gunsmoke as a sidekick option.

This seemed to work out pretty well. And the possibilities are pretty wide. Maybe next year no cap, but you have to make a Western or something.

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885

While Friends had its moments, it's not on the same planet as Seinfeld, comedy-wise.  That's just my humble opinion, of course.

Oh i completely agree. I wasn't a huge Seinfeld guy just because it was a few years before my time but catch the reruns here and there. Friends I was never a fan of despite all of my friends thoroughly enjoying it in their younger years.

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239

It's a masterful sitcom, in that the situations define the comedy. The characters save Kramer aren't very good devoid of that, though -- and Kramer only translates since his whole purpose is to be more or less on another planet than the other characters.

I disagree. George in particular would work in a whole lot of different scenarios. Heck, they pretty much made a George show.

Right, but Nerotic Jewish Dude has been done better in other TV shows since.

(This is the part where I point out that I'm not a Seinfeld fan by any stretch of the phrase)
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1200

It's a masterful sitcom, in that the situations define the comedy. The characters save Kramer aren't very good devoid of that, though -- and Kramer only translates since his whole purpose is to be more or less on another planet than the other characters.

I disagree. George in particular would work in a whole lot of different scenarios. Heck, they pretty much made a George show.

Right, but Nerotic Jewish Dude has been done better in other TV shows since.

(This is the part where I point out that I'm not a Seinfeld fan by any stretch of the phrase)

Ya, I think that's selling him short. George is one of the all time best TV characters. He might not have the most depth, but there's much more to him than being a neurotic-jewish guy.

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
... but not really.
 :P
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Some of you may have heard of this already, but it seems fitting in the thread: a Colombian TV station is airing a telenovela version of Breaking Bad called Metastasis.  It seems like it's mostly shot-for-shot though the quality isn't as good:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K5_-IJaWpJo