Author Topic: Danny is lost  (Read 18794 times)

Re: Danny is lost
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2014, 06:50:14 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Looking at it the wrong way.  This team was garbage for two decades.

Danny went all-in on some mid-30s stars who were just past their prime.  We had a 3 year window of contention that resulted in a championship and a finals appearance.  We then took an extended victory lap for a couple years.  Now we're in the inevitable aftermath. 

I spent the vast majority of my Celtic fandom following pretty bad teams.  We've arguably been a contender for 3 of the past 26 years... I'm not sure why some folks think we can just flip a switch and return to instant-contention again.  It's going to take 3-5 years minimum for this team to be relevant again.  It might take a lot longer than that.   

If you're expecting Boston to be a contender in the immediate future, you're setting yourself up for disappointment.  This is going to take time.  Ainge provided he could do it in 5 years the first time around... if we're lucky, we'll be a contender again sometime around 2018.

« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2014, 06:50:41 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1423
  • Let's Go Celtics!
Reasons

- hires a coach with zero nba coaching experience. This to me is a signal for a full rebuild
- but he doesnt do that. Keeps Rondo, Bass, Green. If we trade all of these guys we def get a top 3 or 4 pick
-  cant find a way to trade wallace, humphries, bogans
- lets everyone know that Rondo is here to stay for the long run
- then drafts Smart (and Young)  instead of addressing some serious needs upfront (like having one flat tire)
- doesnt pickup Asik, Afflalo, Louis Williams, Lucas Nogueira (all that would of cost a fair price to obtain)
- cant bring in any top undrafted players to the SL squad.

- the 76ers at least are going about their rebuild in a "pure" fashion.

Does Danny even have a plan?? I find him always wanting to chase the ideals, pack on the assets(usually crowded at the same area) but lacks vision. Maybe mcdanough was the real brains when he was still here.
I can handle and be patient during a rebuild. But cant tolerate mess.

Anyone else frustrated?

-What veteran coach would willingly come on to run this roster after the KG trade? Name some REALISTIC options he could've chosen. Excuse me while I puke at the thought of Vinny Del Negro.
-The Cavs had a 1.7% chance of getting the #1 pick.  Trading any of those guys doesn't guarantee us anything.
-Trading Wallace likely would've costs us draft picks. Why in the world would Danny trade an asset to offload that deal? Similarly, trade an expiring guy like Humphries would mean we'd be taking back longer term salary. Again, it makes no sense to do that.
-So what should he say? "Hey guys, Rondo is readily available! Please take him". He'd be giving up any leverage.
-He drafted the BPA in both cases. In our situation, you can't afford to pass on talent for the sake of filling positional needs.
-The cost to get Asik was a 1st rounder, maybe that price was to high for Danny. As far as the others, no evidence any of them were on Danny's radar. He clearly didn't value them as highly as some obsessive posters do here.
-Such as?

You claim you're patient, so show it. 7 days into free agency, just because you're not in the know about Danny's plan doesn't mean he doesn't have one. Calm down and step back from the ledge.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2014, 07:10:55 PM »

Offline greg683x

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 585
-Danny wasnt hiring some scapegoat coach to trot out for a full rebuild, he brought in his coach for the future, vet roster or young.  Brad can get his feet wet during the rebuild process whether it be quick or full

-Rondos stock was as low as it possibly could have been this season, not the time to trade him even if we wanted to.  You dont know that he didnt try to trade Green or Bass, maybe he didnt get the deal he was looking for.  Besides, as far as Rondo/Green, but especially Rondo, you need a vet around if youre going to be bringing in a bunch of young dudes.  He did it with Pierce when he was rebuilding on the fly in 2004-2006

-You cant knock him for not getting out of wallaces contract.  There is a reason we have so many Brooklyn first rounders, that contract is atrocious, something positive had to happen for them in that deal.  Humphries and Bogans are small potatoes.

-Danny always drafts the best player available, regardless of position.  Perhaps he didnt like Vonleh, and thought Smart had a higher ceiling than Randle.  Besides Vonleh really is the only one that would potentially fill a position of need.  If we drafted Randle you could still make your complaint with Sully/KO on the roster.

-we didnt have the cash at the time to sign Asik I believe.  A lot of those other players you mentioned wouldnt have fit well on our roster, given our draft picks, or how you feel about Avery Bradley.

-im sorry he wasnt able to make summer league more interesting for you.

- as much praise as youre giving the 76ers, they could look INCREDIBLY stupid in a couple years.  Dannys using the same strategy he used several years ago, at least thats how it looks to me.  Build around your vet star, rebuild on the fly, and wait for the right deals to come along to cash your chips in on.

Danny could fail, and he might not have a plan at this point, hes probably still collecting assets to a certain degree.  We all knew, or at least I hope we all knew this was going to be more than just a one year turnaround, so just sit back and enjoy the show, give him some time to fail first if youre gonna blast him
Greg

« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2014, 07:15:40 PM »

Offline 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 382
Didn't/Doesn't  matter how much we "tank"....this league will never give us a Top Pick....NEVER.
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.

« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2014, 07:38:02 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
Ainge should be fired. He screwed up the tank and has done nothing other than keep a friendship with McHale which caused the KG trade to happen. He did a good job with the Brooklyn trade too. But the fact he has decided to keep Rondo is awful. Horrible management and Ainge should resign and someone who is committed to the right plan for a mid market team should be hired. Bottom out and tank harder this year. Okafor for 2015!

Since when is Boston a "mid market."

Think big!

We should expect the best from our teams.

Don't fall into the "mid market" mentality that John Henry and the Red Sox want everybody to follow.

« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2014, 07:38:45 PM »

Offline P stoff

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 31
Can't comment on how Philly tanked... But I will say ( as I'm watching Noel play in summer league) that if Embiid reaches half his potential! and they stay healthy, that pHilly is going to be kicking our butt, and a lot of others in a couple of years. Noel is a freak athlete, and carter Williams and Embiid are also long and athletic. You put two long SG/SF with them and it is going to be scary on both ends.

If we both are going for the rebuild mode, I'd rather be philly right now.... And it's not even close.

« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2014, 07:52:54 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Ainge should be fired. He screwed up the tank and has done nothing other than keep a friendship with McHale which caused the KG trade to happen. He did a good job with the Brooklyn trade too. But the fact he has decided to keep Rondo is awful. Horrible management and Ainge should resign and someone who is committed to the right plan for a mid market team should be hired. Bottom out and tank harder this year. Okafor for 2015!

Don't fall into the "mid market" mentality that John Henry and the Red Sox want everybody to follow.

your serious right?? The Redsox have won 3 championships in the last 10-12 years.  They know what they are doing. 

« Reply #22 on: July 08, 2014, 08:03:20 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 890
Phili's big move was trading Jrue Holliday for Noel and another first round pick.  We probably could have traded Rondo to NO for the same deal.  If we had, we would be in a much better place right now.

I am not critical of Danny overall but I will be if he either (a) hangs on to Rondo too long and loses him for nothing or (b) gives him $100M.

I think DA is still holding out hope he can get Love to pair with Rondo.  If he can pull that off, great but at some point soon, we need to cash in Rondo.  I think his value will reduce as time goes on because the team that takes him will get a shorter and shorter rental.

« Reply #23 on: July 08, 2014, 08:16:34 PM »

Offline Sketch5

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
Reasons

- hires a coach with zero nba coaching experience. This to me is a signal for a full rebuild
- but he doesnt do that. Keeps Rondo, Bass, Green. If we trade all of these guys we def get a top 3 or 4 pick
- then drafts Smart (and Young)  instead of addressing some serious needs upfront (like having one flat tire)
- doesnt pickup Asik, Afflalo, Louis Williams, Lucas Nogueira (all that would of cost a fair price to obtain)

Does Danny even have a plan?? I find him always wanting to chase the ideals, pack on the assets(usually crowded at the same area) but lacks vision. Maybe mcdanough was the real brains when he was still here.

Anyone else frustrated?

-Stevens did a pretty good job first year in. People forget he had to learn and coach at the same time. He brought a style of play that was nice to watch when things were clicking. Guys bought in. Other players and coach's seem to have respect for him. How many losses were blow outs compared to the last year of KG and PP with Doc? Or even seasons before that? Stevens is fine.

-Rondo not going to fetch much with an ACL injury, and didn't have enough time before deadline to show he could play again. Bass and Green were getting offers of pennies on the dollar, because teams knew DA was tanking. They are more valuable now than at deadline. If we don't want Wallaces contract, who else would? Humps not an easy contract to move, plus he was good with the young guys. Bogans didn't make or break the team. His contract is worth more now in a trade than last year.

-Saying Rondo is here for the long term is to get teams that would be interested to offer more. You say a guy is up for grabs no one will offer us anything good. Make him unavailable some one will offer a nice package.

Asik could not be had with the TE because we can't use it yet. Afflalo makes no sense unless we are going to contend, better off not having him if we are tanking again. Louis Williams, Lucas Nogueira not worth trading right off the bat, because there could be other trades to be had that would be better.

Might not be his concern right now with SL. He might have things in the works that undrafted guys just make no sense. Plus he doesn't have to bring them in to sign, he can see them on other teams and decided if he needs to bring some one in. He may not as of right now, so why bother.

76ers suck. They will for the next 5 years easy unless they do some major dancing. MCW is okay, rookie of the year in a bad draft. KO was one of the better rookies at pick 13. Noel has only played 2 or 3 SL games, who knows if his knees will hold up. Two ACL's isnt' a good sign. Embiid is the same. Now if they can stay healthy, great! But by the time the 76ers have a team together they will be looking for extensions. And if things aren't going well, maybe heading out of town.

What did you expect in a rebuild? There will always be a mess in the beginning. Your acting like we've been at this for 3 or 5 years. Year one man. If the Love deal (which I know you love  ;) ) falls threw than its time to ship some guys like Green and Rondo out.

I'll be frustrated by year 4 if we are in same position. But I can get threw one more season of sucking and getting rid of contracts by either trade or letting them run out if nothing good can come out of them.

« Reply #24 on: July 08, 2014, 08:26:39 PM »

Offline timobusa

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 284
  • Bleed Green, Die Green
As soon as I saw the title of the thread.
I knew it was by the triboy16f.
 LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL

« Reply #25 on: July 08, 2014, 08:34:24 PM »

Offline Jailan34

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 30
Reasons

Anyone else frustrated?

-Stevens did a pretty good job first year in. People forget he had to learn and coach at the same time. He brought a style of play that was nice to watch when things were clicking. Guys bought in. Other players and coach's seem to have respect for him. How many losses were blow outs compared to the last year of KG and PP with Doc? Or even seasons before that? Stevens is fine.

See I watched my fair share of games, especially once Rondo returned. While I like Steven's potential as a coach I didn't see much of an offensive system implemented so I'm not sure what I missed. While I saw guys hustling on defense some games which was nice I didn't see what I would consider an "offensive system", however I also see a lot of fans say he did a good job with the offense. Basically I'm wondering if another fan with a more intimate knowledge of Steven's system could tell me what exactly he implemented?
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into.

« Reply #26 on: July 08, 2014, 08:34:25 PM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277
 What makes you think Danny is lost. We're into the offseason! Be patient, I think Danny knows what he's doing.

« Reply #27 on: July 08, 2014, 08:34:25 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
 LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL

wow, this rebuilding process must be hard on alot of people. Timousa has actually gone insane

« Reply #28 on: July 08, 2014, 08:35:41 PM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277
 LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL

wow, this rebuilding process must be hard on alot of people. Timousa has actually gone insane

I think he's mentioning you, judging by your gross overreation.

« Reply #29 on: July 08, 2014, 08:36:29 PM »

Offline timobusa

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 284
  • Bleed Green, Die Green
 LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL

Yep.. I've gone insane.
You're right.