Author Topic: Rubio is going to talk to Love to stay doesn't want to rebuild  (Read 1241 times)

Offline j804

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 3071
  • BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS
?Of course I want him to stay.?

Are you going to tell him?

?Yeah,? Rubio said. ?I don?t want to convince him if he doesn?t want to stay. But I want him to stay and I?m going to tell him what I think, which is we?ve been improving every year and he?s a great player, he helps us a lot. I think we need to make the next step. ? The media says it?s pretty settled, but I don?t know what he thinks. What I?ve been hearing is from the media, not from him, so I don?t trust that. It can be an opinion from you guys. I just really want to talk to him as a teammate.?
Rubio obviously won?t get Love to commit to staying when he becomes a free agent in July 2015. But Rubio is hopeful of either finding out Love is not desperately tunneling out of Minnesota, as is the perception, or that he can convince Love to keep an open mind about the future under new coach Flip Saunders and, thus, not force the Timberwolves into dealing their best player before the February trade deadline (rather than lose him for nothing after the season).

If Love does continue to signal he has no intention of staying and Saunders, also head of basketball operations, does do a deal, there will be new implications. Rubio, while saying he wants to stay, made it clear his own future in Minnesota would be in play. He, too, could take a similar tact and try to force a trade if a Love deal meant gathering picks and prospects.

?No,? Rubio told NBA.com when asked if Love?s departure would prompt him to want to leave. ?I like Minnesota. But I want to win too. Of course when a big guy like him leaves you?re thinking about what?s going to be happening with the team. Are we going to lose a lot? Before I came to Minnesota, the season before they won like 17 games. I was a little scared when I went there. I?m coming from Europe, where I was playing in Barcelona. I think we lost six games or seven games in two seasons and every loss was a disaster. I don?t want to go through a process like every win is something special.

?If he leaves, it?s going to be painful because he?s a main guy. But it depends what we get back for him. We?ll see what we can do. I don?t think going through a rebuild year is going to help us because we?ve been improving every year and now we?re so close to making the playoffs that it doesn?t make sense to rebuild it again. It?s not continuing what we were doing.?
http://hangtime.blogs.nba.com/2014/06/08/rubio-will-make-his-pitch-for-love-to-stay/

Good luck lol
"7ft PG. Rondo leaves and GUESS WHAT? We got a BIGGER point guard!"-Tommy on Olynyk

Re: Rubio is going to talk to Love to stay doesn't want to rebuild
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2014, 03:40:45 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2435
I'd like to see Rubio leave too. I think trading him could be difficult though. So many talented PGs in the league right now and a lot of teams will be put off by his lack of scoring + shooting ability. I reckon he'll have to wait until Free Agency to get out of there (which I think he should do).

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2014, 03:48:15 PM »

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 568
I'd like to see Rubio leave too. I think trading him could be difficult though. So many talented PGs in the league right now and a lot of teams will be put off by his lack of scoring + shooting ability. I reckon he'll have to wait until Free Agency to get out of there (which I think he should do).

I think Rubio is their only hope of remaining a relevant offense though.

If you see Love traded, I imagine you'll see that franchise fully embracing Ricky.
*CB Miami Heat*
Kyle Lowry, Dwayne Wade, 13th pick in even numbered rounds, 18th pick in odd numbered rounds.

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2014, 04:36:10 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Tommy Heinsohn
  • Tommy Points: 2743
At least Rubio has more tact than Saunders. Maybe they should make him GM/player.