Author Topic: 2014 draft darkhorse prospect: Chris Walker  (Read 6692 times)

2014 draft darkhorse prospect: Chris Walker
« on: January 12, 2014, 01:16:15 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
www.youtube.com/watch?v=3RQtrN4LB98

What do you guys think of this kid? Suppose to be like a Chris Bosh. He is all over the mock charts and he hasn't even played one college game yet. (eligibility/academic reasons)

But from the clip above, he clearly demonstrates the raw physical tools (6'9, decent strength, 7'2-7'3 wingspan, high vert leap, quick) and some nice looking skills (handle, different ways to finish, passing)

If we missed out on the top 5 I can see Danny taking a risk on a guy like this.  He pretty much takes a risk in most drafts

addition: Stats from Jordan Classic game (all the top HS players)

Walker did really well, better than Selden and Aaron Gordon.

http://www.jordanbrandclassic.com/images/stories/docs/2013/NationalBoxScore2013.pdf
« Last Edit: January 12, 2014, 01:26:48 AM by triboy16f »

Re: 2014 draft darkhorse prospect: Chris Walker
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2014, 01:20:23 AM »

Offline celticmania

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 39
I'm a huge fan of Chris Walker. Super athletic, good size (6'10) with a long wing span, can handle the ball..... I dont see Chris Bosh at all in Chris Walker. He's more like Josh Smith

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2014, 01:26:01 AM »

Offline 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 384
Impressive...our 2nd Pick---?
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2014, 01:29:13 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
I'm a huge fan of Chris Walker. Super athletic, good size (6'10) with a long wing span, can handle the ball..... I dont see Chris Bosh at all in Chris Walker. He's more like Josh Smith

Your right. But i think even more athletic then Smith. Maybe like a cross between smith/bosh.

I like that he did well in the Jordan Classic against the likes of Parker, Embiid etc and did pretty good. Not a fan of course of him missing school and not getting college ball experience but who knows, maybe he could be like the next Lebron or KG where it doesn't matter

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2014, 01:32:50 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
Impressive...our 2nd Pick---?

If we miss out on the top 5, we might have to use your 1st 1st round pick to take this guy. I have a feeling somebody is going to take the risk on him. Not the top 10 teams, but someone after, especially if they are already a good team or have multiple picks. Unless someone really drops for us to pick them (our 1st pick), i think we should take a risk on this kid. With our 2nd 1st pick, you could be a little more conservative.

Like many have said, there is a pretty decent drop off from 1-6 to 7-15 in terms of talent but not a big drop off from 7-15 to 15-30

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2014, 01:26:28 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0UFYhq-Pzoc

Its too bad he hasn't been able to play yet.  But man, does he show alot of intrigue. Never seen this video about his skills etc before. Sounds like a nice kid. Check out 1:33 layup. That is FAST from one end to the other.

Looks/plays + physical tools like Wiggins a little

60 score Dunk by walker
http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=9125040

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2014, 01:39:24 AM »

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners
huge fan of his. i think he and noah vonleh are diamonds in the ruff.

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2014, 02:37:37 AM »

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 419
I don't know much about him, but he actually seems like a decent enough guy.  You hear someone is suspended and just assume it's a character issue, but he didn't do anything wrong and he seems to be handling it pretty well.  If anything, it's the college board that are having character issues.  I just looked up his Twitter and it's all just him being religious and saying how proud of his team is even though he's not playing.  There are pictures of him beating his brother in NBA2k and none of him partying.  I am staring to think someone will reach on him, too now. 

/I would probably stay in college if I were him, though

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2014, 07:08:00 AM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
I read somewhere that he wasn't playing well in practices, and disappointing.

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2014, 09:50:08 AM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315
Doesn't sound like a bright player, and I'd only draft potential with a smart player with good reason to be behind the curve.

« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2014, 12:13:31 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
his capabilities though looks to be top 5.

you cant teach some of the things he has.

not sure about picking him up with our 1st pick, but with the 2nd first worth the risk.

somebody I think will reach .

« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2014, 12:14:14 PM »

Offline Mencius

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 103
He's quite a physical specimen.  Sure has as load of natural talent.  Just raw physical ability-wise, reminds me of a young Shawn Kemp.  Know nothing about the guy other than the vids I've seen.  He's intriguing.

Why was he ineligible this year?  Was it simply grades, or are there character issues, or what?

Taking a gamble on a guy with physical gifts can really pay off sometimes.  Lance Stephenson comes to mind.  Of course, there are too many counterexamples to list, too.

« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2014, 12:33:02 PM »

Offline aingeforthree

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 134

What do you guys think of this kid? Suppose to be like a Chris Bosh. He is all over the mock charts and he hasn't even played one college game yet. (eligibility/academic reasons)

But from the clip above, he clearly demonstrates the raw physical tools (6'9, decent strength, 7'2-7'3 wingspan, high vert leap, quick) and some nice looking skills (handle, different ways to finish, passing)

If we missed out on the top 5 I can see Danny taking a risk on a guy like this.  He pretty much takes a risk in most drafts

http://www.jordanbrandclassic.com/images/stories/docs/2013/NationalBoxScore2013.pdf

He's definitely a wild card.  We all know how Ainge likes his HS phenoms.

I'd add another guy to the darkhorse list, Kyle Anderson.  The game comes so easy to him.  Typical Ainge pick.

« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2014, 01:42:16 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

He's definitely a wild card.  We all know how Ainge likes his HS phenoms.

I'd add another guy to the darkhorse list, Kyle Anderson.  The game comes so easy to him.  Typical Ainge pick.

and who knows maybe thats our 2 picks, Walker and Anderson come draft day. I will be excited to see what happens from there

The main issue Walker will have becoming a celtic is that Stevens has openly said he likes to acquire players who have finished at least a few years of school. But it might be too tempting for Ainge to pass up on this kid

Ainge has a history of taking risks and draft HS players. Three of them panning out already in Al Jefferson, Bradley, Gerald Green.

The challenge with Walker bc it looks like he will not play this year , is to be patient with him and maybe have learn the ropes in the d league. 

Kyle Anderson is going to be a good player in the nba. Maybe not a starter, but he is going to make damage somehow. Just has too much skills and height not be able to. Defense is a concern

Another darkhorse and has been for the last few years is Doug Mcdermott. He plays with extreme confidence and doesn't let a few misses get him down. He can really shoot the ball.  He is definitely the next Kyle Korver in the making. And if you got a team full of athletic very good defensive players, you can afford to have a kyle korver. As of now we don't have such a team, so if we get DM, he would have to come off the bench.

« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2014, 02:11:10 PM »

Offline European NBA fan

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 141
He's quite a physical specimen.  Sure has as load of natural talent.  Just raw physical ability-wise, reminds me of a young Shawn Kemp.  Know nothing about the guy other than the vids I've seen.  He's intriguing.

Why was he ineligible this year?  Was it simply grades, or are there character issues, or what?

Taking a gamble on a guy with physical gifts can really pay off sometimes.  Lance Stephenson comes to mind.  Of course, there are too many counterexamples to list, too.

According to this article, he became academically eligible more than a month ago, but there is an ongoing investigation into a "pre-enrollment eligibility issue".