Author Topic: ' 14 Winter Olympic thread  (Read 7075 times)

' 14 Winter Olympic thread
« on: January 11, 2014, 11:20:31 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Who else is looking forward to the winter Olympics?
« Last Edit: January 11, 2014, 11:37:21 AM by Donoghus »
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

Re: Olympic thread
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2014, 11:36:38 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
Definitely.

I actually enjoy the Winter Olympics more than the Summer games.  So many of the events kick butt in HD too. 

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

Re: ' 14 Winter Olympic thread
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2014, 11:38:05 AM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
When do they start?
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2014, 09:18:35 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2014, 09:51:54 AM »

Offline chicagoceltic

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 208
I absolutely LOVE the Olympics, both summer and winter!  The excitement and pride shown by the athletes competing for their country is a joy to watch.

I mentioned this a few years ago in the summer Olympics thread and I will mention it again...one of the greatest moments of sports fandom for me was wathcing the 2008 swim relay race where Jason Lezak chased down the french swimmer on the final leg and won by the smallest of margins keeping Michael Phelps' push for 8 gold medals alive.  Some buddies and I went to a Cubs game and were at a bar in Wrigleyville after the game.  The bar was packed and quieted down for the last leg of that race.  When they showed the results the bar EXPLODED with cheers and U.S.A. chants.  Strangers were high-fiving and hugging each other and as cheesy as it may sound there was an electric feeling in the place.  What other time would a swimming event get a reaction like that?
Pub Draft

Sam N Ella's

At the Bar: The Most Interesting Man in the World
At the Door:  Hugh Hefner
On Stage:  O.A.R., Louis C.K., EDGAR! Special Drinks:  Irish Car Bomb, Martinis On Tap: Lite, Beamish, 3 Floyds Seasonal, Chimay Grand Reserve, Spotted Cow

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2014, 10:54:01 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Used to be big but becoming more of a joke with each year.

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2014, 05:08:08 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • What a Pub Should Be
Sounds like things are off a stellar start in Sochi.

http://deadspin.com/staying-in-sochi-is-a-hilarious-adventure-1515722114

In all seriousness though, does anyone else have a bad feeling about these Olympics? 

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2014, 05:24:11 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
In all seriousness though, does anyone else have a bad feeling about these Olympics?
In a country that worries more about gay "propaganda" and phasing out TV stations that ask "insulting" questions, I didn't expect anything different.

IOC should really be ripping the organizers, not the groups that are boycotting this shameful excuse for Olympic games.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2014, 05:26:10 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325

Construction isn't even finished on a bunch of the infrastructure, and Sochi is actually a subtropical city—and only about the size of Encenitas, California. How did this place even get consideration for hosting the Olympics?

I'm not surprised at the situation, though, considering this is Russia.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2014, 05:29:53 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • What a Pub Should Be
In a country that worries more about gay "propaganda" and phasing out TV stations that ask "insulting" questions, I didn't expect anything different.

IOC should really be ripping the organizers, not the groups that are boycotting this shameful excuse for Olympic games.

Agreed that the IOC should be all over these guys although they were the ones who ultimately awarded Sochi these games in the first place.  They should've been pressuring and even threatening the organizers when things were falling behind.

I probably could've said it better but the bad feeling question stems from wondering if some sort of terrorist act is going to happen at these games.

« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2014, 05:32:58 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett

Construction isn't even finished on a bunch of the infrastructure, and Sochi is actually a subtropical city—and only about the size of Encenitas, California. How did this place even get consideration for hosting the Olympics?

Someone thought it was a good idea to award a WC to Quatar, and seriously considered playing it in the summer, as usual. Apparently money seems to trump common sense all around these days.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2014, 05:43:15 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
Sochi itself is a popular Russian sea resort on the Black Sea. This type of climate is only found at the lower elevation, though.

That's not where the events take place. That happens at the (newly expanded) Krasnaya Polyana/Rosa Khutor complex that goes up to 7,000 feet above sea level.

« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2014, 05:54:03 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
I'm with Terje:

The whole thing is corrupt – the IOC is run by a few people, when in reality it is something that should be owned by the whole world and to benefit sport, not just to make them money.

How would I change it? I would make it so that a host city would get the rights to sell the rings and the imagery of the Olympics themselves in every country around the world – and use that revenue to pay for all the new facilities, which that town could then use to improve local facilities.

Any extra money could then be used to support sport around the world. That’s how easy it could be. If people had values, we could start to change it.

Ultimately, the whole qualification system isn’t built to make sure the best guys are there. It’s to have all the nations included so that they can sell the Rings to more territories, so they can get more commercial revenue for the IOC people. Who don’t pay tax on it either.

http://whitelines.com/features/comment/terje-haakonsen-why-i-still-hate-the-olympics.html
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2014, 06:10:34 PM »

• Satch Sanders

Someone thought it was a good idea to award a WC to Quatar, and seriously considered playing it in the summer, as usual. Apparently money seems to trump common sense all around these days.

Good point.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2014, 06:11:26 PM »

• Satch Sanders
Sochi itself is a popular Russian sea resort on the Black Sea. This type of climate is only found at the lower elevation, though.

That's not where the events take place. That happens at the (newly expanded) Krasnaya Polyana/Rosa Khutor complex that goes up to 7,000 feet above sea level.

That makes more sense. Still, though, I wouldn't trust Russia with being able to accomplish something like this, and on time.

— C.S. Lewis