Author Topic: Lance Stephenson is a free agent in 2014. What's he worth?  (Read 2730 times)

Lance Stephenson is a free agent in 2014. What's he worth?
« on: December 19, 2013, 07:23:54 PM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
6 foot 5, has deep play off experience as defender who can shoot the 3 ball.

His numbers are very similar to Avery Bradley except his win shares on both ends and offensive +defensive ratings are significantly higher.

If you'd give Avery 5,6 or 7 million, what would you give Stephenson?
I like his size for a defensive 2 and he's a decent 3 point shooter.

If you can get him for 4 or 5 million instead I f Avery's 6 or 7 million (lets say 2 million less per season) then do you take him?
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

Re: Lance Stephenson is a free agent in 2014. What's he worth?
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2013, 07:43:24 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1800
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Lance Stephenson is really making a name for himself. He was inserted into the lineup as a replacement for Granger until he returned, but miraculously ended up being better for them than Granger would have.

I am not sure what his value is going to be this offseason. It could be anywhere between 4-8 million a year, but I may still be off. I love love love Avery, but his reputation as an elite defender may increase his pricetag. All things being equal, I am not sure who I would take.

I still think Ainge trades Avery and Crawford for comparable players on rookie contracts to keep our payroll down, but continue to have assets going forward.

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2013, 07:46:40 PM »

Offline pokeKingCurtis

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
He's one of Larry's projects. Along with Paul George.

He and George would never leave for market value.

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2013, 07:47:08 PM »

Offline ScubaSteve

• Jaden Springer
  • Tommy Points: 1
He is worth more than Bradley, and he will probably get it. Larry and the Pacers are pretty high on him and he is probably going to stay in Indiana unless he gets some an offer that he just can't refuse. Would love him on this team though. I say he ends up getting something like 5yrs/40 million from the Pacers, something similar to what they gave George Hill.

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2013, 07:52:06 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
before the season I made a wild guess that the Pacers would be the Rondo trade destination.

I had it pegged as:

Rondo - 2 years 12 mil
Wallace - 3 years 10 mil

For

Granger - 11 mil expiring
George Hill - 3 years 8 mil (could re-route him to a 3rd team for a pick)
Lance Stephensen (young asset)
+ a couple late 1st rounders

I figured we'd dump the bad Wallace contract, get a couple meh assets.  I figured Indiana was one team that might gamble on Rondo... a fringe contender who might see Rondo as the final piece.  Kinda like Sheed was to the Pistons.

Stephensen's play and Indiana's hot start has made that trade go from horribly underwhelming ...to unrealistic. 

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2013, 08:04:07 PM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 247
In addition to scoring and defense, Stephenson can pass too. On too of that, the guy is fearless.

He is worth at least 10 million per year.

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2013, 08:32:53 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I think he'll get somewhere between Lee money and Green money.

He's not a star, but he's a nice complementary piece.  Maybe he'll get a deal similar to Afflalo.

Certainly not the sort of player the Celtics should target. You don't spend money on a player like that unless you already have all the major pieces in place.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2013, 10:43:42 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
He is, without a doubt, my favorite Pacer.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2013, 11:31:23 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

George is by far the most exciting player on that team.  But there are a lot of likable players on that team.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2013, 11:54:22 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239

George is by far the most exciting player on that team.  But there are a lot of likable players on that team.

No, I don't think so. George is one of the best young players in the league, and he's starting to act like it--last night was a prime example, posturing for getting bailed out by the refs, etc. No fun rooting for the guy who's been anointed the team's next superstar on the back of one good playoff series.

Paul George became an NBA fan household name for boring, vanilla reasons like being good at basketball.

The first time the greater hoops universe heard of Lance Stephenson, it was for the "choke" that he threw at LeBron.

Stephenson>George, because Lance Stephenson is almost a  thousand times more interesting (on the court) than Paul George. I haven't met either of them, so I can't comment on anything beyond that.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2013, 12:21:02 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
I think he'll get somewhere between Lee money and Green money.

He's not a star, but he's a nice complementary piece.  Maybe he'll get a deal similar to Afflalo.

Certainly not the sort of player the Celtics should target. You don't spend money on a player like that unless you already have all the major pieces in place.

I think if Avery gets offered 8 million elsewhere id rather try and get Stephenson for 5 or 6 million.
He's a taller version of Bradley without the injury history.
I target him if Bradley is gone and he's either a.steady 6th man or your starting 2 guard if our picks are starters at other positions and depending what scorers we have.
eg
Rondo
Stephenson
Green
Melo/Sully
Asik

pretty tough squad assuming Stephenson can shoot jumpshots consistently.
Brutal defensive line up.

"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.