Author Topic: What next if Asik comes to Boston?  (Read 10353 times)

Re: What next if Asik comes to Boston?
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2013, 07:03:37 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
Do they have to make another move?  I have been sitting here thinking about it and I am not sure they do.  If you don't count the games where Bradley played point guard they are 2 games over .500.  With those games they are 2 games under. They have a glaring weakness at center.  They desperately need a rim protector and a rebounder.  Asik fill this need. Then you add in Rondo and what does this team become?  They have gotten better as the season has worn on.  If they can play .500 ball with no center and without their best player how good will they be with them? 

Rondo, Bradley, Green, Sully and Asik is a very good starting five.  They don't really have a go to guy to carry them all game but Green has been known to make a clutch shot at the end of games.  It matters who goes in the trade but their bench won't be that bad either.   If Green goes then they have to find a Small Forward. Preferably not named Melo.  I can't see Green going as that would be a side step.  Asik is a win now guy, the C's need Green to win now. 

I don't know the answer to if they need another move or not but I would love to see how the tam looks with Asik and Rondo before they do anything.

Don't look at it as the team 'being over .500'.
Look at it as 'how good are the best teams in our conference and what pieces would we need to beat them in a 7 game playoff series ?'.

Currently there are 3 teams that would kill us.
Pacers, Heat and Nets (when healthy).
We are a long way away from any of those squads. We only have to be better than 2 or 3 teams in the West but you also have to look at who's most likely to come out of the West and who you'd meet in the finals- how do we match up with them?

Do we have any shot against OKC, Spurs or Blazers? Not a chance in hell.
We have a long way to go but adding Asik means we are looking to do something sooner rather than later. (in my opinion)
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2013, 07:15:11 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Trade Wallace, Humphries, Lee Brooks, Olynyk, + 2 first rounders for Carmelo Anthony and Kenyon Martin.

Like that is going to happen.  Not to mention the Melo is not a winner and selfish and a veritable anti Celtic.

« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2013, 09:31:20 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
Trade Wallace, Humphries, Lee Brooks, Olynyk, + 2 first rounders for Carmelo Anthony and Kenyon Martin.

Like that is going to happen.  Not to mention the Melo is not a winner and selfish and a veritable anti Celtic.

Knicks get 2 first rounders and hump is expiring. What do you think the Knicks are getting for Anthony if he demands a trade? At very least we are sending Humphries and Wallace + picks.

"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2013, 09:50:01 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2991
If Melo gets a ring ....he'll be old like Ray Allen and get it off the the backs of younger stars on another club ....like OKC or Houston.......Melo is passed being the main gun on a contender ......he was and is too selfish .    If he gets a ring , he'll be coming of the bench for Durant or Lebron  or somebody like that . 

If he is a Celtic it will years down the road as a role player off the bench .   

I want him on the Lakers to add to the huge ego ball hog situation they have now and kill their cap space.

« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2013, 09:52:26 AM »

Offline jay

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 50
If Asik is landed by just giving up Bass, Brooks, and a 1st - Danny wins again.  Highway robbery. 

I would think the next step is a shooting guard.  The Wallace/Humphries/Lee trade for Stoudamire and either Shumpert or Hardaway Jr would be huge.

or trade Humphries/Lee/pick for Afflalo, BBD, and Harkless. 

Rondo
Crawford
Bradley
(Shumpert or Afflalo)
Green
Sullinger
Asik

Thats a hell of a top 7 with Olynyk and Faverani adding depth inside and the ability to draft a SF or a stretch 4 this summer. 

« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2013, 10:08:43 AM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
So if Asik deal is done with Bass going with 1ST and Brooks. Who should the C's go after?

With Utah's record, upcoming FA coming, and Stevens connection, Ithink Heyward seems like the perfect sign an trade move at the deadline. I think starting 5 of Rondo/Heyward/Green/Sully/Asik really compliment each other really well.

It really depends on which players are headed out. Too soon to say.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2013, 10:29:14 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
So if Asik deal is done with Bass going with 1ST and Brooks.
Yeah, that deal is not happening.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2013, 10:32:52 AM »

Offline esel1000

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 587

Is that really that bad of a trade for the Rockets? With a need to get rid of this guy and looking for a two way pf that actually plays defense and compliments Howard getting Bass while getting a first on top seems like a good deal for both teams.

Houston can trick themselves into thinking Asik is worth Millsap all they want, but Bass was a good fit with Howard back in Orlando and he'd be a good fit now

« Reply #23 on: December 18, 2013, 10:34:27 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

Is that really that bad of a trade for the Rockets? With a need to get rid of this guy and looking for a two way pf that actually plays defense and compliments Howard getting Bass while getting a first on top it seems like a good deal for both teams.

Houston can trick themselves into thinking Asik is worth Millsap all they want, but Bass was a good fit with Howard back in Orlando and he'd be a good fit now

Was Bass a good fit with Howard in Orlando?  Then why did they trade him for Big Baby?

« Reply #24 on: December 18, 2013, 10:35:12 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294

Is that really that bad of a trade for the Rockets? With a need to get rid of this guy and looking for a two way pf that actually plays defense and compliments Howard getting Bass while getting a first on top it seems like a good deal for both teams.

If the Rockets wanted a deal of that type, they would have taken the 76ers up on Thad Young, who's the superior (if the more heftily paid) player of the two.

Add to this the fact that Howard didn't want to play with Bass in Orlando, and I think the chance is virtually zero.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #25 on: December 18, 2013, 10:40:29 AM »

Offline esel1000

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 587

If the Rockets wanted a deal of that type, they would have taken the 76ers up on Thad Young, who's the superior (if the more heftily paid) player of the two.

Add to this the fact that Howard didn't want to play with Bass in Orlando, and I think the chance is virtually zero.

Do we remember the reasons Howard didn't want to play with him? I'm honestly just curious because I really don't, but I do think some of that had to do with Magic's management and being desperate to please a guy who didn't want to be there. In a better environment for Howard that could change, Bass fits the profile of the perfect complimentary pf. Spreads the floor, plays d, decent rebounder.

I'm just curious as to what the real problem with him next to Howard is. What was Howard's deal?

« Reply #26 on: December 18, 2013, 11:36:20 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
If Asik is landed by just giving up Bass, Brooks, and a 1st - Danny wins again.  Highway robbery. 

I would think the next step is a shooting guard.  The Wallace/Humphries/Lee trade for Stoudamire and either Shumpert or Hardaway Jr would be huge.

or trade Humphries/Lee/pick for Afflalo, BBD, and Harkless. 

Rondo
Crawford
Bradley
(Shumpert or Afflalo)
Green
Sullinger
Asik

Thats a hell of a top 7 with Olynyk and Faverani adding depth inside and the ability to draft a SF or a stretch 4 this summer.

Beat me to it. If we can get Asik I think Aflallo would be a great target especially since we have picks to dangle to Orlando. He would be a great pairing with Rondo in the backcourt. Can be a 20 point a game scorer here while still being great on defense.

« Reply #27 on: December 18, 2013, 12:19:41 PM »

Offline aingeforthree

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 134
The next move I think is to figure out what to do with Avery Bradley. This is the biggest personnel question within the organization that I can see.  If he truly rejected your 4 year 24 Million dollar offer, what's next ?

Is Ainge willing to pay him 8-10 Million per ?  If not, what contender wants him and what will they give up ?

« Reply #28 on: December 18, 2013, 01:59:47 PM »

Offline danglertx

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 210
I just wish they would say it is dead or do it already.  This checking several times a day to see what is going on is getting old.

« Reply #29 on: December 18, 2013, 02:27:36 PM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
I just wish they would say it is dead or do it already.  This checking several times a day to see what is going on is getting old.

I agree, I should be working, but I kept checking back and crossing my fingers that Green (rumored) is still here