Author Topic: Is it me or this team is more enjoyable that last years'?  (Read 4374 times)

Is it me or this team is more enjoyable that last years'?
« on: November 10, 2013, 08:05:51 AM »

Offline Drucci

• Global Moderator
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 439
Don't get me wrong, nothing compares to deep playoff runs, watching lifelong Celtics like Pierce of future Hall of Famers like KG play, but... I'm really loving the season so far while it was kind of a frustrating "process" for the past few years.

I felt going into this season that I would enjoy the games anyway because they are still the Celtics, yet I didn't think I would enjoy them so much!

Win or lose, I just love the way the team is playing, it's great to be in every game, to see that they have a chance to win every time at the end. The overall effort, the team play, the crazy shots from this or that player are all contributing to some wildly surprising games : we never know what to expect. The new faces are also very interesting in the sense that I'm always curious to see what Brad Stevens will do, how Olynyk, Faverani or Pressey will perform, etc. The wins feel even better because you know there weren't "supposed" to get them but their effort paid off.

I guess it's just the combination of "no expectations" and "great effort" opposed to "big expectations" and "coasting in the regular season" but I'm definitely getting a blast that I didn't get these 3-4 years in the regular season (except for the big games).

Anybody else feel the same (even among the tankers)?

Re: Is it me or this team is more enjoyable that last years'?
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2013, 08:30:23 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I completely agree.

Having really low expectations makes it so much easier to enjoy watching the team.  When they play well, I enjoy it.  When they don't, I just figure that helps get a better draft pick. 

The team is also young and unproven, on an individual basis and also as a whole.  Sometimes that means they look discombobulated.  Other times it makes it refreshing to watch them because they do things in a new way and it works. 

Also there's the "hope" aspect that wasn't there before.  Every time one of the young guys plays really well, that gives hope for the future, even if it's unrealistic hope.  And if the team plays terrible and loses -- well, that's a different kind of hope (tanking).
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2013, 08:43:57 AM »

Offline banty19

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 25
Agreed and it's not because they just won 3 in a row.

The last few years have been like a rerun. Same cast of characters, same story lines, etc. This year's team has a lot of new players and old players in more prominent roles. It's interesting to see how things will turn out.

And the last few regular seasons have been a grueling ordeal filled with stuff like: are they coasting? Will the old guys hold up for the playoffs? Will they flip the switch for the playoffs? It's great to see a team that can and is putting in some effort.

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2013, 08:50:11 AM »

Offline celtics2

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 42
yup, that's what I've been talking about. Field a team that plays hard and competes and they will be loved. Expecting the most out of a Team like last seasons and being disappointed is tough to swallow. This way enjoy the Team for what it is until the day comes again when we are a top Team. That is up to management. I like this Team.

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2013, 08:50:43 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2991
Younger Pierce and KG from the championship team was a lot of fun, they could still run the court...

Last years version of our stars was plain .....brutal many times..

Frankly.... Compared to speed and energy of the young Celtics running the court , I thought I could detect a subtle decline in Lebron s over all energy .   

The Heat use to play like these Celtics.......they still can...but have to force themselves to produce this energy level of AB and Pressey and Crawford.

We run the heat to death......Ray Allen just sucked wind the whole time,  as did most of their players .
The Nets move like molasses pouring out a jar.......so do the Lakers......this is poor basketball and will NEVER beat the Pacers.

Win or lose ....this basketball is far more entertaining .

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2013, 08:59:46 AM »

Offline tabletz19

• Jaden Springer
  • Tommy Points: 2
So far I watched all games this season. Last year I usually don't watch games where we play teams like the bobcats where I thought they'll win but all of a sudden you check the scores and they actually lost. It's frustrating. This season, I watched all preseason and regular season games. I like how they play (frustrated only with the lost to the Bucks) this season and the development is fast. I really want them to win games and keep on improving and yes I don't like us to intentionally lose games just to get a chance for a top 5 in the draft. If they lost it's easier to move on from a lost this days as long as they grind it out. It's easier to sign a star free agent if you're winning games and they feel like they're just the missing piece for you to be a contender. Like how Houston made the playoffs with Harden even if they lost, it makes it easier for them to convince Howard to sign with them coz he saw potential for a championship caliber team. Than to wait for 3-4 years atleast for a taking a chance on a pick if it pans out or not.

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2013, 09:12:10 AM »

Offline cltc5

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 451
They are to a degree because they have a coach that cares about developing a team and not giving minutes to players.  We have a real coach not just a figurehead.  While I enjoyed watching last years team, Doc stupid predictalbe coaching was frustrating to watch.

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2013, 09:14:10 AM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315
From the coach on down.

Absolutely.

« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2013, 09:17:34 AM »

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
Without question. They all play hard, and the offense is so more enjoyable to watch. Nets are finding out the hard way that PP and KG are to old and don't want to hustle on offense. They would rather stand around and take jump shots, with no ball movement.

Only thing is they need to start losing again lol.

« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2013, 09:19:43 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
They are because I hated seeing PP and KO get old and struggle.   I went throught it with Larry and the gang too.   Hate see guys get old and not be their prime selves.

I'd rather have a dominant winning team but I love the C's.   I watched them during the rebuilds before and became attached to the young guys.   I like the name on the front of the jersey more than the names on the back.

« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2013, 09:30:56 AM »

Offline playdream

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 88
The biggest difference is the coach
Now mighty stevens pls lose us some game like the first 4,
we are late for the lottery competition
save the wins for the top seed teams

« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2013, 10:11:44 AM »

Offline timpiker

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 112
I like most of the players on the team and watching them play, watching them learn and grow - but not having much of a chance for the playoffs and not having that superstar to take you there kind of sucks.  Its a good group of players.  Last year sucked because the future looked so bleak and failure was so close because of old age and injuries.

« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2013, 10:25:47 AM »

Offline sed522002

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 221
For me, I don't have lofty expectations like last season. Last season we were suppose to be contending. This season we're developing players and if they happen to get wins it's even better.

« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2013, 10:38:18 AM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448
I really enjoy watching Sullinger and Olynyk play.  Both are smart players who are just crafty on offense.

I've always liked watching Jeff Green play and he has been playing really well.  He is up near the top of my list for players I love watching go to the rim.  He is graceful, long, smooth, and he won't hesitate to posterize someone. 

I love watching Avery play defense especially and want to see a player that plays defense like him excel (and he is improving).

I also really enjoy watching Jordan Crawford.  I think he is an underrated player that gets too much hate, and I really enjoy just watching him play.  You can call it jerky, awkward, whatever you want, but it is very entertaining.  He has made some ridiculous plays this year (thinking about how he mugged LeBron for the three at half last night and also some of his dramatic, flashy passes).

(This pass starting at 2:00 I loved)

http://youtu.be/QbGh4pspp_o?t=1m56s

It also helps that Stevens is really trying to push the pace. Fastbreak basketball is always the most fun to watch to me.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2013, 10:46:28 AM by Snakehead »
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2013, 10:52:57 AM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962
I think things are just going our way more.

We're getting to way more 50-50 balls.

We're getting MUCH better treatment from the refs (until the Heat game).

The fact that we have a lot of bigs shooting the 3 means there's always a nice open bail out shot instead of the crap we were left with previously when our offense stagnated.

Our team is trying for and getting more offensive rebounds, which is more exciting than them running back to stop the break (not nearly as enjoyable because if it works than you're just watching nothing happen).
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale