Author Topic: Thoughts on Stevens so far?  (Read 6947 times)

Re: Thoughts on Stevens so far?
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2013, 12:48:45 PM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 247
The talent on the team is so mismatched and bad right now. I wont be able to begin to make a call on stevens's ability as a coach until he and rondo are at least half a season into their coach and active player roles together.

« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2013, 01:23:58 PM »

Offline ScoobyDoo

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 447
Yeah Snakehead, agreed.

Just because Stevens is reserved or quiet certainly does not mean he is not aggressive, intelligent or highly competitive - I think taking a mid major to two consecutive final fours attests to that.

One other positive thing I've noticed as these four games have passed.

Sully is being Sully - acting like a bull in a China closet.

Green is being Green: He's high flying it and attacking the rim in the open court.

Olynyk is doing a bit of everything

Courtney Lee is even starting to put together some decent games playing the game that best suits him - mid range and attacking the rim in the open court.

Vitor is being Vitor: Mixing it up, being physical in the paint.

This tells me the following:

1. Stevens is allowing guys the space to be themselves
2. He's encouraging them to play to their strengths
3. This means he's maximizing the talent he has.

It seems like a lot of coaches have a "system" they run and they then try to fit the players they have into that system, whether that system fits them or not, which I think is counterproductive.

You either need to let guys play to their strengths, therefore maximizing your assets, or trade them or trade them for guys who fit your system.

I think that's a big part of the reason he took Butler so far and as we accumulate more talent I think Stevens will be at the head of a dominant Celtics team - sooner than later.

I say heading into the 2015 season - latest the year after. 

« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2013, 02:18:39 PM »

Offline celtic -_- pride

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 60
  • Stuff & Things
He's trying. Poorly assembled roster (in terms of competing and winning) and he's new to the nba. Not excuses for why we are losing because they are the reasons why we are losing. Too early to judge what he can do long term. DA is going to be making some moves from here on out so let's wait til we get a solid roster... 2 years from now haha
[img width= height=]http://s7.postimg.org/jsyw5qrez/banner.jpg[/img]

« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2013, 03:11:15 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
he's a company man doing what Ainge wants him to do.  I will not even begin to judge him until Boston is actually actively trying to win basketball games.  That's not happening until next year at the earliest.  This season winning is not a priority.  Our big objectives are to develop the young talent and showcase the bad contracts. 

« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2013, 03:32:07 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25592
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
My expectations were probably a little too high; I thought he'd instantly energize and motivate the team.  It's not happening, and maybe it's too much to hope for.

No coach would win with this roster.  I do hope to see some progress and some teaching of the fundamentals to our young guys.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2013, 03:49:35 PM »

Offline The Rondo Show

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 364
  • Hook 'Em
My only beef is Kris Humphries' lack of mins
DKC Suns

« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2013, 03:54:05 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Every time I see Brad Stevens, I see a guy who looks like he should be prepping the Little League ice cream party.

Most times, when I see Brad Stevens, he looks like a guy who aught to be awkwardly venting about parking privileges at the water cooler.

Sometimes, when I see Brad Stevens, I think he takes exquisite care of his fleece vest when he hangs it up in his office.

Rarely, when I see Brad Stevens, do I suspect him of being a big MMA fan.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2013, 03:54:52 PM »

Offline thirstyboots18

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 2584
Despite the inexperience of the team, the loss of the star point guard,  this being Steven's first year in the NBA and the fact that the team has not won yet (after 4 games) there have been patches when the team played together and very well...signs of improvement each game. I am looking forward to continued improvement by both the team and by Stevens.  I think he will become move vocal as he gets more comfortable with the team and the situation. So far I like him.
Yesterday is history.
Tomorrow is a mystery.
Today is a gift...
   That is why it is called the present.
Visit the CelticsBlog Live Game Chat!

« Reply #23 on: November 06, 2013, 04:14:24 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
Every time I see Brad Stevens, I see a guy who looks like he should be prepping the Little League ice cream party.

Most times, when I see Brad Stevens, he looks like a guy who aught to be awkwardly venting about parking privileges at the water cooler.

Sometimes, when I see Brad Stevens, I think he takes exquisite care of his fleece vest when he hangs it up in his office.

Rarely, when I see Brad Stevens, do I suspect him of being a big MMA fan.

Every time I see Brad Stevens, I get the feeling he reads a lot of Anne McCaffrey books.

Most times, when I see Brad Stevens, he strikes me as the kind of guy who wishes he had spent a semester abroad.

Sometimes, when I see Brad Stevens, I see a man who is quietly insecure about his grilling prowess.

Rarely, when I see Brad Stevens, do I believe that he would be involved with tax evasion.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #24 on: November 06, 2013, 04:24:22 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
He's not a young talent in need of development... or a bad contract in need of showcasing.  There's really no point to playing him.  The NBA knows what Kris Humphries is at this point.  He's an expiring contract.  His value is static.   We either use his expiring contract to bring back a long-term deal... or we let him rot on our bench and fall off the books at the end of the year. 

« Reply #25 on: November 06, 2013, 04:35:54 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2983
Look this dude has been handed an awful deck.

He is totally a virgin to NBA

So much wrong with the team , if you can call it. Team,  it's more of a collection of trades to reboot the team.

Rome wasn't built in a day from cow pies.

I think he was brave to take on this horrible lot .

With this group ,  what or who could have done better?........

Nobody would really want the mess Danny created 

It' is going to be at least three years ,  min . ......

So give the guy a couple years,   Before whining and moaning starts

« Reply #26 on: November 06, 2013, 04:41:54 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
I bet Brad Stevens never stopped buying cassettes.

« Reply #27 on: November 06, 2013, 04:43:42 PM »

Offline VitorSullyandKOFan

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 19
He's not a young talent in need of development... or a bad contract in need of showcasing.  There's really no point to playing him.  The NBA knows what Kris Humphries is at this point.  He's an expiring contract.  His value is static.   We either use his expiring contract to bring back a long-term deal... or we let him rot on our bench and fall off the books at the end of the year.

I think he gets a buyout after the deadline.

« Reply #28 on: November 06, 2013, 04:45:04 PM »

Offline VitorSullyandKOFan

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 19
I like that Stevens is focusing on developing young talent(KO,Fav,Sully and AB).

« Reply #29 on: November 06, 2013, 05:24:26 PM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
Well to his credit: the green 4th quarter benching, seemed to send a message and it didn't cause an uproar
the offensive flow/plays or lack of has me puzzled

as far as overall coaching we can look back at the end of this season at the earliest
no rondo, log jam at power forward, 1 real center, no real point guards and a group of shooting guards stinking it up (green or wallace is now a sg)  :-\