Author Topic: Detroit and Boston trade idea. Who says no?  (Read 14723 times)

Detroit and Boston trade idea. Who says no?
« on: July 06, 2013, 03:08:13 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
This thread might not have a long lifespan since the Rockets are trying to do a sign-and-trade with the Hawks.

Previously we heard that the Pistons were interested in signing Josh Smith.  Maybe this Rockets thing will put more pressure on them to make a move.

We also know that Detroit has expressed interest in Rondo if he becomes available.

Calderon is bolting for Dallas...

I Believe that leaves the following under contract for the Pistons:

Stuckey (8.5 mil expiring)
Charlie V (8.5 mil expiring)
Jerebko (4.5 this year)
Monroe (4 mil this year)
Brandon Knight (2.7 mil this year)
Drummond (2.5 mil this year)
Singler (1 mil)
English (800k)
Middleton (800k)
Kentavious Caldwell-Pope (2.7 mil)

... So as-is, they have like 20 million in cap room.

They could easily sign Josh Smith to a max deal.   But to lure Josh SMith, maybe they should go after Rondo.

Who says no?

Detroit trades:
  Stuckey (8.5 mil expiring), Charlie V (8.5 mil expiring), Knight (2.7 mil), Drummond (2.5 mil) = 22.2

Boston trades:  Rondo (12 mil), Wallace's bad contract (10 mil) = 22 mil.

Do we need to include more?  Would you want to try and dump Bass or Lee as well?  Would we need to include draft picks?

The deal would leave Boston with some young assets to fully embrace the tank.  PG - Knight, SG - Bradley, SF - Green, PF - Whitedude/Sully, C - Drummond.   Drummond has a ton of potential. 

Meanwhile, Detroit could roll with Rondo, Caldwell-Pope, Wallace, Smith and Monroe.  Probably a playoff team.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2013, 03:20:54 PM by LarBrd33 »

Re: Detroit and Boston trade idea. Who says no?
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2013, 03:09:27 PM »

Offline JJones1090

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 12
This thread had an EXTRA short life span haha. TP for the effort.

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2013, 03:10:00 PM »

Offline lightspeed5

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 283
id rather keep a top 20 nba player and not trade him for scraps and no names.

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2013, 03:11:24 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
Wow... i posted this seconds before the Pistons apparently signed Smith.

I think that gives this thread even more lifespan.  That's a team that is looking to win.   Smith is a PF.  It doesn't make a ton of sense to have Drummond (C), Monroe (PF/C) and Smith (PF). 

I say they go after ROndo hard. 

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2013, 03:12:02 PM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315
This thread might not have a long lifespan since the Rockets are trying to do a sign-and-trade with the Hawks.

Previously we heard that the Pistons were interested in signing Josh Smith.  Maybe this Rockets thing will put more pressure on them to make a move.

We also know that Detroit has expressed interest in Rondo if he becomes available.

Jerebko (4.5 this year)
Monroe (4 mil this year)
Singler (1 mil)
English (800k)
Middleton (800k)

They could easily sign Josh Smith to a max deal.   But to lure Josh SMith, maybe they should go after Rondo.

Who says no?

Detroit trades:  Stuckey (8.5 mil expiring), Charlie V (8.5 mil expiring), Knight (2.7 mil), Drummond (2.5 mil) = 22.2

Do we need to include more?  Would you want to try and dump Bass or Lee as well?  Would we need to include draft picks?

The deal would leave Boston with some young assets to fully embrace the tank.   Meanwhile, Detroit could roll with Rondo, Caldwell-Pope, Wallace, Smith and Monroe.  Probably a playoff team.

Detroit needed to do the Smith trade first, before taking the risk of giving up a big.  I think you're expecting far too much from Detroit, however, in that deal.  Drummond plus an expiring for Rondo is plenty.

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2013, 03:12:58 PM »

Offline JJones1090

• Joe Mazzulla
Wow... i posted this seconds before the Pistons apparently signed Smith.

I think that gives this thread even more lifespan.

Haha. Yeah, when I read the first line I just started laughing. Keepin this thread alive just to make the time you spent thinking about it worthwhile.

That's awesome.

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2013, 03:13:32 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish

Jerebko (4.5 this year)
Monroe (4 mil this year)
Singler (1 mil)
English (800k)
Middleton (800k)

Who says no?

Detroit trades:  Stuckey (8.5 mil expiring), Charlie V (8.5 mil expiring), Knight (2.7 mil), Drummond (2.5 mil) = 22.2

The deal would leave Boston with some young assets to fully embrace the tank.   Meanwhile, Detroit could roll with Rondo, Caldwell-Pope, Wallace, Smith and Monroe.  Probably a playoff team.

Detroit needed to do the Smith trade first, before taking the risk of giving up a big.  I think you're expecting far too much from Detroit, however, in that deal.  Drummond plus an expiring for Rondo is plenty.
I'd be fine with Rondo for Drummond.  I think Drummond could be a HUGE talent long-term and it would lock up the rebuild.  Anytime you can trade small for Big, you probably do it if the Big has potential to be a star. 

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2013, 03:14:29 PM »

Offline JJones1090

• Joe Mazzulla
It doesn't make a ton of sense to have Drummond (C), Monroe (PF/C) and Smith (PF). 

I say they go after ROndo hard.

Didn't even think about that. Could very well make a push for him. I still don't know how I'd feel about that.

« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2013, 03:15:47 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
Just a side-note... I don't think we're goin to see major Rondo-to-Pistons Buzz for another week.  The Boston/Brooklyn deal doesn't officially go down until July 12th.  Can Boston discuss deals that include Gerald Wallace yet? ... I think they need to wait until the first deal gets cleared.  Or could they still tweak the Brooklyn/Boston deal to include a 3rd team?... Is it too late for that? 

« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2013, 03:20:15 PM »

Offline JJones1090

• Joe Mazzulla
Just a side-note... I don't think we're goin to see major Rondo-to-Pistons Buzz for another week.  The Boston/Brooklyn deal doesn't officially go down until July 12th.  Can Boston discuss deals that include Gerald Wallace yet? ... I think they need to wait until the first deal gets cleared.  Or could they still tweak the Brooklyn/Boston deal to include a 3rd team?... Is it too late for that?

I am pretty certain that the terms of the deal could be adjusted. And as long as the other GM's were willing to listen to trade talk about future assets (as in going to be an asset as of July 12) then I don't see any reason why Wallace couldn't be talked about.

I still don't want to lose Petrie #9

« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2013, 03:26:43 PM »

Online GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1038
I'll take Monroe or Drummond. Knight would be nice too, but expirings and a pick would do instead.

I think they like Drummond's potential better than Monroe, so I think any deal would be centered around him.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2013, 03:30:53 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
If smith just signed 4 years 54 mil... what's that mean?  13.5 mil a year?

I think they still have like 7 mil in cap space.

So we could actually throw Bass or Lee in there as well.

Detroit Trades:  Knight, Drummond, Stuckey (expiring), Charlie V (expiring)

Boston trades:  Rondo, Wallace, Bass/Lee

« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2013, 03:44:51 PM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2159
If smith just signed 4 years 54 mil... what's that mean?  13.5 mil a year?

I think they still have like 7 mil in cap space.

So we could actually throw Bass or Lee in there as well.

Detroit Trades:  Knight, Drummond, Stuckey (expiring), Charlie V (expiring)

Boston trades:  Rondo, Wallace, Bass/Lee

Sign me up for this trade. Drummond is a stud

« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2013, 03:46:13 PM »

Offline esel1000

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 587
I'd rather not trade Rondo at all but if we were going to I think I'd rather have Monroe. I may be wrong and Drummond has the potential to be the better player down the line but Monroe is a sure thing and we can't really afford to mess up a Rondo trade as he's our best trade chip by far.

« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2013, 03:47:02 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
I'm not even certain Detroit would trade Drummond by himself for Rondo.. let alone also include a young prospect like Knight.

But for the sake of argument, would you rather have the Pistons include Knight or would you rather they include Caldwell-Pope?

Personally, I'd rather get Caldwell-Pope + Drummond.  I don't mind letting Bradley continue to improve at PG.  And long-term, we'd probably want a scorer controlling the ball most of the time anyways.  Pope is 6'6 204 pounds.  Nice size.  Personally, I'm not a fan of Bradley at SG.