Author Topic: We might get Ben Gordon instead of Humphries  (Read 6363 times)

We might get Ben Gordon instead of Humphries
« on: June 28, 2013, 09:27:56 AM »

Offline Drucci

• Global Moderator
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 439
Not that it really matters since both of them are just expiring salaries and not part of the future of the franchise, but according to Chris Mannix, many executives think Humphries won't get to Boston. He will be shipped in a one-on-one deal probably for Ben Gordon since the Bobcats are rumored to be interested in Humphries.

We would end up with a LOT of guards : Gordon, Bradley, Crawford, Lee...

Re: We might get Ben Gordon instead of Humphries
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2013, 09:28:57 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25590
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
What's the point?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2013, 09:29:40 AM »

Online BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1820
At face value it's meaningless, would have to see what subsequent moves are done to really care.

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2013, 09:30:55 AM »

Offline Drucci

• Global Moderator
  • Tiny Archibald
What's the point?

None in terms of basketball, since we're going to suck anyway but it would be a "relief" not to see Humphries spoil a Celtics jersey.

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2013, 09:31:52 AM »

Online BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1820
What's the point?

None in terms of basketball, since we're going to suck anyway but it would be a "relief" not to see Humphries spoil a Celtics jersey.

Yes, that would be worth it. Send them a first rounder too if needed be!

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2013, 09:32:33 AM »

Offline Celtics Insider

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 28
Are the picks said to be unprotected?
http://celticsinsider.freehostingcloud.com/
Celtics Insider - Your #1 Source For Anything And Everything Boston Celtics And NBA!

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2013, 09:32:38 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25590
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
What's the point?

It would.  By the same token, Gordon is more likely to catch fire and actually help us win a game.  Can't have that.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2013, 09:33:16 AM »

Offline Drucci

• Global Moderator
  • Tiny Archibald
What's the point?

Yes, that would be worth it. Send them a first rounder too if needed be!

Ahah no, I wouldn't go that far and I get your point but with the way things are going I'm taking as many consolations as I can, and not having to see Humphries with the Celtics is a "big" one!

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2013, 09:34:13 AM »

Offline TheBig3

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 18
So much Pessimism in this forum....KG is not walking through that door, PP is not walking through that door.... ;)

« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2013, 09:36:21 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
What's the point?

It would.  By the same token, Gordon is more likely to catch fire and actually help us win a game.  Can't have that.

I'm not a fan of Humphries, either, but I feel like he could have value as an expiring at the deadline if he starts and averages a double double for us (while we lose lots of games).

On the other hand, Humphries is probably a more valuable player in terms of winning.  So there's that.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2013, 09:38:31 AM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
What's the point?

True. But -- who would be a more valuable asset at the trade deadline this year? Top shooter or top rebounder? I tend to think Gordon (keeping in mind Ray Allen saving the Heat's 2013 title -- combined with Gordon's strong playoff history), but not sure....
« Last Edit: June 28, 2013, 09:48:16 AM by ssspence »
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2013, 09:38:37 AM »

Offline Geo123

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 33
Are the picks said to be unprotected?

yes

« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2013, 09:55:50 AM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!
Part of me still thinks this has to do with Smith. Assuming Atlanta strikes out on Paul and Dwight I they still have to field a team. Gordon and a pick might get us Smith in a sign and trade since Gordon can be a really productive expiring deal.

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14

« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2013, 09:57:16 AM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!
Part of me still thinks this has to do with Smith. Assuming Atlanta strikes out on Paul and Dwight I they still have to field a team. Gordon and a pick might get us Smith in a sign and trade since Gordon can be a really productive expiring deal.

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14

« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2013, 10:02:00 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
What's the point?

Well, I think the point is, this team could still win games.  And I think there is a decent chance Danny is working under a directive from ownership to not tank unless absolutely necessary.

Humphries doesn't really help the C's, but if you swap him for Gordon, that is actually interesting.

They would be a center away from having the chance to be a scrappy team that could actually be a hard out in the East, if their chemistry can come together (and Wallace can get hooked up with Pierce and KG's HGH dealer).

Everyone seems convinced that this team is tanking, but the reality is, if Rondo is still on the team, they are way too talented to have much of a chance at a good pick.  But, they are only another player or two away from fighting for maybe the 4th or 5th seed in the East.

Let's say they swap Humphries for Gordon, and then maybe Lee and a future #1 for Gortat.

Suddenly you have this roster:

PG: Rondo
SG: Bradley, Gordon (who could be great with Rondo)
SF: Green, Wallace
PF: Wallace, Sully
C: Gortat, Olynyk

That isn't a championship roster by any means.  But in the East, they could be a very solid playoff team, and perhaps even more importantly, kind of entertaining.