Author Topic: Waving Captain Jack before playoff was a big mistake of SAS  (Read 3371 times)

Offline eugen

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 40
After what happened in game 6 and 7 where SAS did not close series, I am 100% sure SAS made a big mistake waiving Captain Jack 2-3 games before stating playoff. With him I am pretty sure SAS would have being more powerful and beat Miami HEAT. He is a great defender and can be terrific defending Lebron or Wade. I still did not understand why SAS waived him. Mysterious and ver very stupid move...
« Last Edit: June 21, 2013, 09:44:29 AM by eugen »

Re: Waving Captain Jack beofre playoff was a big mistake of SAS
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2013, 09:42:53 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2438
Agreed. His size, defensive ability, jump-shooting and big game performances would have been valuable off the Spurs bench. A mistake to discard him.

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2013, 09:43:31 AM »

Offline bopna

• NGT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 136
Waived him to sign Tracy freakin human victory cigar with gimpy old knees Mcgrady... ???

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2013, 09:45:03 AM »

Offline RyNye

• NGT
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 97
Because he's a terrible basketball player?

Look at his numbers for the season.

37.3% from the field (47% true shooting)
The league average, by the way, is 44.7 and 54, respectively.

27.1% from 3-point land (on 7.6 shots per 48 minutes! Twice the league average! He takes a lot of 3 point shots and has no prayer of hitting them)

He doesn't get to the line (and is a bad free throw shooter anyway, at 70% for the season).

He can't rebound.

He can't pass the ball (his assist to turnover ratio is pretty much 1:1, which is awful)

He's a bad defender

Why on earth could he have possibly helped them?

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2013, 09:46:13 AM »

Offline RyNye

• NGT
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 97
Agreed. His size, defensive ability, jump-shooting and big game performances would have been valuable off the Spurs bench. A mistake to discard him.

His defensive is poor, or at least was this regular season. Bad defensive rating, too many fouls, etc. His jump-shooting is terrible (he is below the league average in field goal percentage from EVERY SPOT ON THE FLOOR).

You are fooling yourself if you think Stephen Jackson would have helped the Spurs, plain and simple. There is not a single statistical category that I can find in which he exceed the league average ... he was either average or below average in every aspect of the game.

Maybe once upon a time a couple seasons ago he was capable of putting it together for a run, but not anymore. Not by any sane metric.

Re: Waving Captain Jack before playoff was a big mistake of SAS
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2013, 09:55:01 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Yeah wow forgot about Capt Jack. His experience could have played a huge difference. Would have much rather seen him on the floor over Gary Neal.

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2013, 09:57:50 AM »

Offline eugen

• Bill Walton

His defensive is poor, or at least was this regular season. Bad defensive rating, too many fouls, etc.

I am sure you are not talking about the same player. Maybe you mixed up with somebody else. See the wiki link

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stephen_Jackson

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2013, 09:57:54 AM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448
I don't see it.

Manu, Paker, and to a lesser extent, Duncan just needed to play better.  LeBron and Wade really showed up.  Bosh didn't even.  It was there but they couldn't get over the hump.

Maybe he could have helped a bit but that's not why they lost.

Also, you have to consider that he was apparently an issue in the lockeroom.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2013, 10:06:30 AM »

Offline eugen

• Bill Walton
I don't see it.

Manu, Paker, and to a lesser extent, Duncan just needed to play better.  LeBron and Wade really showed up.  Bosh didn't even.  It was there but they couldn't get over the hump.

Maybe he could have helped a bit but that's not why they lost.

Also, you have to consider that he was apparently an issue in the lockeroom.

I saw a poor defending Vs Lebron/Wade/Chalmers/Batier in game 6 and 7. They made a lot of esay baskets. He is a great dedender in one-one. Plus using Diaw Vs Lebron was more productive.

« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2013, 10:12:38 AM »

Offline feckless

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 93
Attitude and choices have always been Jackson's downfall...probably waived for divisive locker room presence.
Days up and down they come, like rain on a conga drum, forget most, remember some, don't turn none away.   Townes Van Zandt

« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2013, 10:14:12 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Attitude and choices have always been Jackson's downfall...probably waived for divisive locker room presence.
Yeah and in the end the Spurs where a made free throw and/or rebound away in game 6 and one shot away in game 7. They did well.

« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2013, 11:11:36 AM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471
I saw an interview on TV where Jackson said he was let go because Pop insisted that Jax admit Danny Green was a better player than he is, which Jax quite reasonably refused to do.

If that's true, it's just more "pride goeth before the fall" for Pop.  If the guy had just let his best players play instead of trying to prove his own coaching genius at the end of games 6 and 7, the Spurs might've gotten their 5th title.

Mike

« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2013, 11:33:30 AM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
I saw an interview on TV where Jackson said he was let go because Pop insisted that Jax admit Danny Green was a better player than he is, which Jax quite reasonably refused to do.

I think there is a good chance that what went down is Stephen Jackson thought he should be starting at SG and Pop wanted Jax to admit he was wrong and that Green and Ginobili should be getting minutes at the 2 ahead of him.

I think it is reasonable to cut Jackson if he was complaining about his role and insisting that Green shouldn't be starting.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2013, 11:48:03 AM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471

I think there is a good chance that what went down is Stephen Jackson thought he should be starting at SG and Pop wanted Jax to admit he was wrong and that Green and Ginobili should be getting minutes at the 2 ahead of him.

I think it is reasonable to cut Jackson if he was complaining about his role and insisting that Green shouldn't be starting.

Except that the last two games of the Finals probably proved that Jackson would have been better than Green when all was said and done.  Jax wouldn't have shot the 3 as well but he wouldn't have become totally useless as soon as Miami started paying attention to him defensively.  And at least Pop wouldn't have left Jax out there to stink so bad he'd cost them game, the way he did with Manu.

Now, it's possible that Jackson was being so disruptive that he simply had to go.  It was pretty clear, though, that Jax would have been a useful option in games 6 and 7.

Mike

« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2013, 11:48:14 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 442
If the guy was disgruntled as usual, it's best for the team to let him go.