Author Topic: A federal judge calls Michael Jordan’s $5 million lawsuit against a grocery chai  (Read 3260 times)

Offline bfrombleacher

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 367
The worst part is the ad was CONGRATULATING him!

Offline connor

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 37
Yes this is a total dick move by MJ, but in fairness Dominick's isn't some small time mom and pop store they should know better.

They have a marketing department and they all know full well you can't use anyone's likeness etc. without permission and they tried to get a bit of free publicity out of MJ thinking no one would care because they didn't use his logo and it was congratulating him.

Again its **** move by MJ, but totally within his rights. And I have no sympathy for Dominick's because they should know better. No one at Dominick's was thinking "hey lets spend money on a full page newspaper ad to congratulate MJ" they were thinking we can probably sell a ton of steaks if we do this. No sympathy.

Offline stb

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 120
Another example of what a jerk he is...

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=aw-jordanhall091209

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25590
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
The judge already ruled against the grocery chain.  Now, he needs to determine damages.  The judge thought that $5 million seemed clearly excessive, which is where the quotes come from.

I'm curious how much the chain paid for the ad?  Clearly, they thought that the ad was worth at least what it cost.  I'd probably start there.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
With his gambling habits every penny counts.

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
The grocery store is in the wrong.  If I'm a celebrity, I'd be mad too if some entity was trying to make money off my name, and I wasn't getting a cut, nor was I ever asked for my permission.

Now, $5m in damages is absurd (and I doubt the store could even pay that much), but there will be damages awarded.

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1648
  • What a Pub Should Be
I'd be peeved too if somebody was using my likeness without my permission. Not sure what was going through the Dominick's marketing people there.

The $5 million is excessive, though. He's definitely entitled to some damages, though.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 383
  • Jeff Green
Hmmm... I feel like I want 5 million dollars today...

"FIVE MILLION DOLLARS PLEASE"
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"