Author Topic: Danny get on the horn with Houston  (Read 5134 times)

Re: Danny get on the horn with Houston
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2013, 08:00:18 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
Provided that Houston gets Howard we may be able to pull off something like Pierce for Asik and Robinson.

In such a case could we possibly resign Pierce once the Rockets waive him?

I was playing around with trade checker and the trade does appear to work (though we can't re-sign him as I understand things) - I was throwing in Bradley (and Delfino on their end), I don't think HOU would trade away Asik without getting a real asset back. We might alternatively give them Sully.

The practical issue with this, I think, is that we must trade Pierce before 6/30 so he can be waived before his 2013-14 salary becomes guaranteed.

Of course the NBA free agency period doesn't start until 7/1, and the Rockets can't even talk to DH beforehand or it would be tampering.

So, they'd have to trade Asik - a highly valuable player in his own right - before knowing whether they have a shot at DH. Seems very risky.

You free agency and Pierce contract experts - does this sound like I'm getting the details right?
« Last Edit: June 05, 2013, 08:08:00 PM by Boris Badenov »

« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2013, 08:30:54 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Provided that Houston gets Howard we may be able to pull off something like Pierce for Asik and Robinson.

I was playing around with trade checker and the trade does appear to work (though we can't re-sign him as I understand things) - I was throwing in Bradley (and Delfino on their end), I don't think HOU would trade away Asik without getting a real asset back. We might alternatively give them Sully.

The practical issue with this, I think, is that we must trade Pierce before 6/30 so he can be waived before his 2013-14 salary becomes guaranteed.

Of course the NBA free agency period doesn't start until 7/1, and the Rockets can't even talk to DH beforehand or it would be tampering.

So, they'd have to trade Asik - a highly valuable player in his own right - before knowing whether they have a shot at DH. Seems very risky.

You free agency and Pierce contract experts - does this sound like I'm getting the details right?

You've got it correct.  If they're saving room by trading Asik for Pierce, and waving Pierce, they would have to do so in advance of being able to talk to Dwight.

EDIT: I then proposed a trade idea that wouldn't work because I forgot about a certain salary rule.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2013, 08:51:06 PM by saltlover »

« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2013, 09:35:49 PM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257

You've got it correct.  If they're saving room by trading Asik for Pierce, and waving Pierce, they would have to do so in advance of being able to talk to Dwight.

EDIT: I then proposed a trade idea that wouldn't work because I forgot about a certain salary rule.

If I'm Houston and I want to be a legit contender, as they've tried to do quite a few times without making it, I go for it, but insist on our 1st this year as well to save face in case it blows up.

« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2013, 12:51:11 PM »

Offline smiggity

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 3
Lots of people seem to think there is a very good chance Houston will sign Dwight Howard. It seems to me that Asik and Howard would not pair well together. Does anyone think Houston would accept Brandon Bass (who has had success alongside Howard in the past) and our first round pick (16) (obviously, the trade wouldn't happen until after we make the pick) for Asik? If not, how much more would it take?

« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2013, 01:11:24 PM »

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 269
Bass, Crawford, and a future 1st rounder for Asik??

Smitty77

« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2013, 01:22:04 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

If I'm Houston and I want to be a legit contender, as they've tried to do quite a few times without making it, I go for it, but insist on our 1st this year as well to save face in case it blows up.

That wouldn't make much sense.  Then they'd have a cap hold for that first rounders salary, costing them money with which to sign Dwight.  Maybe a second-rounder next year, but a first-rounder doesn't make sense from anyone's side of the deal.

« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2013, 02:12:21 PM »

Offline fantankerous

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 122
Bass, Crawford, and a future 1st rounder for Asik??

Smitty77

Houston could get a better package elsewhere.

« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2013, 02:52:19 PM »

Offline ptroger83

• Svi Mykhailiuk
  • Tommy Points: 2
Houston needs to free up cap room for Howard and assuming they can get him, they'll want to surround him with shooters. Any chance we'd have in landing Asik would have to involve Pierce.

I think they would consider a deal that nets them Pierce (who will be waived), Jason Terry (shooter), and Sullinger (decent shooting big) in return for Asik, Thomas Robinson, Royce White, possibly Terrance Jones or Motiejunas, and expiring deals like Delfino and Aaron Brooks.

That would probably free up enough for them to give Howard a max deal. However, they could free up even more by doing a deal without Terry.

Houston receives: Pierce, Sullinger, future Boston 1st

Boston receives: Asik, T Rob, Royce White, Delfino, and Brooks

« Reply #23 on: June 06, 2013, 11:24:55 PM »

Offline smiggity

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 3
Houston needs to free up cap room for Howard and assuming they can get him, they'll want to surround him with shooters. Any chance we'd have in landing Asik would have to involve Pierce.

I think they would consider a deal that nets them Pierce (who will be waived), Jason Terry (shooter), and Sullinger (decent shooting big) in return for Asik, Thomas Robinson, Royce White, possibly Terrance Jones or Motiejunas, and expiring deals like Delfino and Aaron Brooks.

That would probably free up enough for them to give Howard a max deal. However, they could free up even more by doing a deal without Terry.

Houston receives: Pierce, Sullinger, future Boston 1st

Boston receives: Asik, T Rob, Royce White, Delfino, and Brooks

I think this underscores how valuable Pierce's contract could be to the right team. Couldn't Boston and Houston construct a trade that sends the Celtics some interesting pieces (I am most interested in Asik) and frees up enough cap room for Houston to potentially sign Howard AND Paul or J. Smith?