Poll

Do you use proper grammar on casual websites? (ex. CelticsBlog, Facebook)

Yes
22 (78.6%)
No
6 (21.4%)

Total Members Voted: 27

Author Topic: Do you use proper grammar on casual websites?  (Read 14116 times)

Do you use proper grammar on casual websites?
« on: April 10, 2013, 06:59:12 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 383
  • Jeff Green
If you can't decide, answer: Do you use proper grammar on CelticsBlog?

I think it's actually very much up for debate, whether you should. I know lots of administrators and teachers in education sector spend lots of times trying to see how they can improve grammar, but when people use the Internet, they can laze off and just type all-lower-case, disregarding spelling and grammar, sometimes affecting their actual work. A strong case can be made for either side. (man, that as a run-on sentence. I suck at commas)

I personally like to use proper grammar to seem mature (many will beg to differ ;D). But when people are short on time, I'd see why they don't use proper grammar, etc. Recently, I've noticed I've trended back to lower-case typing when chatting with friends, but I still try to get the grammar right (you'll notice I've been using semicolons a lot lately) (parentheses too...)

Thoughts? ;D
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

Re: Do you use proper grammar on casual websites?
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2013, 07:09:48 PM »

Offline CelticD

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 140
nope. i only use proper grammar and spellin wen i write a fanpost or a paper for skool other than that, i type like dis.

personally, ive never had an issue where i wrote a paper and found all these grammatical or spelling errors in it. its like talkin theres a time nd place for everything. if im wit my friends id be like "yo wats gunnin kid, u chillin?" but thats not the way id talk to someone on a job interview. i learned to seperate personal and professional.

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2013, 07:11:43 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
I try to use the same grammar online that I would use in casual conversation.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2013, 07:23:59 PM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804
No. I doubt that I do when I NEED to. I did well in school, but I'm not sure if I was actually doing well or that my teachers weren't as bad as I was and worse (sad and probably true).  ;D :-[ It was more of fakin' the funk!
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2013, 08:34:33 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
Yup. All the time.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2013, 08:39:11 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 383
  • Jeff Green
Same I always do too, it wouldnt be right if i didnt.
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2013, 08:55:48 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
I try to whenever more than one person will see it.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2013, 09:09:45 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
Grammar not use I! I ain't not got no reason?

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2013, 09:40:49 PM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
I got a chuckle out of this one ... a poll asking who uses good grammar and who doesn't, when all you have to do is read someone's posts to know the answer.

I will add one thing, though, the whole ghetto slang crap, (dis, dat, etc., intentional misspellings to sound like people are from the street), drives me a bit nutty.

I don even get what da purpose iz... to sound kool? Cuz it juz sounds ignant. ;)

To each his own,
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2013, 09:48:01 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Nobody is required to use proper grammar in online forums.  But if you want people to understand you and respect you, it's probably a good idea.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2013, 12:28:42 PM »

Offline FatKidsDad

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 114
I try to be grammatical, use full sentences and spell correctly at all times...even when texting.

I do this because I have respect for language.

Language, whether typed, written or spoken, is the expresssion of thought.

Meaningful thought has structure and nuance. 

Language has structure and nuance in order to clearly convey meaning.

A thought or idea has little value if it cannot be shared.

And in the end, language only works when people have a common understanding of vocabulary and structure. If we use words that others don't know, or use words in ambiguous ways, or improper structure, communications suffers.

And if we can't communicate, what's the point of posting?

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking." - George S. Patton

"Live so that when your children think of fairness and integrity,they think of you." -   H. Jackson Brown, Jr.

« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2013, 12:37:42 PM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816
I got a chuckle out of this one ... a poll asking who uses good grammar and who doesn't, when all you have to do is read someone's posts to know the answer.

I will add one thing, though, the whole ghetto slang crap, (dis, dat, etc., intentional misspellings to sound like people are from the street), drives me a bit nutty.

I don even get what da purpose iz... to sound kool? Cuz it juz sounds ignant. ;)

To each his own,

Luv Dis, TP
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2013, 12:38:53 PM »

Offline PaulPierce34G

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 110
  • Soul Glo
I'm definitely less conscious about using proper grammar and all of that when I am posting on a site, such as CB.  I do try to be as grammatically proper as possible, but I know it isn't a huge deal if I make an error, have a run on sentence, or use short-handed typing words sometimes, etc.  Overall, I feel as long as what I am typing makes sense and isn't "LyKe dIs" or I am not using a whole lot of slang terminology, which not everyone can understand, then I'm in pretty good shape.

Not knocking those who choose to post in their own unique way on here.  To each their own with that.

« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2013, 12:39:34 PM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816
I try to use proper grammar all the time, but don't bother proofreading or checking my grammar on casual websites
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2013, 12:50:33 PM »

Offline thirstyboots18

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 2584
I write too fast to always finish my punctuation, don't always take the time to run spellcheck or even to proofread everything.  I do, however try to make myself easily understood, although I sometimes fail.  I don't read another's  posts to correct grammar or spelling or laugh at their typos, but if I have to "translate" it into understandable English (without the help of web translator), I just don't bother reading it at all.
Yesterday is history.
Tomorrow is a mystery.
Today is a gift...
   That is why it is called the present.
Visit the CelticsBlog Live Game Chat!