Author Topic: After A Lose To The Grizzles, It Only Shows That Coach Doc Rivers Is The Problem  (Read 6928 times)

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Grizzlies are not a bad team folks.   They match up well with us.
Not to mention we've been a terrible road team all year it seems.

*sigh* at least NCAA basketball has been somewhat distracting.

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I'd watch what happens with KG and his injury.  Not only would his loss take the last fig leaf from this season, but IMO it could lead to his retirement--which could lead to Doc's walking away from the team as of next year.

I think KG might retire, too -- and indeed, I rather hope that he does.  I think it's just time.  I don't want to see him drag himself up and down the court in pain for a team that isn't winning anything of significance.  Let him keep his dignity.

As for Doc, he signed a 5 year extension when he knew Pierce and Garnett couldn't possibly stick around for that long.  I don't think he's planning on leaving once Pierce and KG are gone.  Maybe if Rondo goes, too, but I doubt it.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

Offline cltc5

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 451
doc rivers HAS BEEN the problem.

pierce iso
rondo controlling the ball
pulling hot guys out
runnin vets into the ground to the point they have no energy
callin no timeouts
not using your younger players when neede( IE WHite, Meko, Randolph)
-If Ray doesnt go down last year, Bradley sees no playing time

We need a coach and Gm that's a visionary after this year.

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
Yes, the problem is very clearly Doc.

The problem has nothing at all to do with the fact that we have Rajon Rondo, Jared Sullinger, Kevin Garnett and Courtney Lee on the injured list.

Nothing at all...  ::)

Also, Bosa.

Yeah but technically we replaced him with Crawford, so can't really count him anymore :D

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 383
  • Jeff Green
Still a top 3 coach in the league.
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

Offline ScottHow

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 354
  • It's what I do! It's who I am!
So hes a bad coach bc he doesn't play players who were in china for half the season.....riiiiiiiight.

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
doc rivers HAS BEEN the problem.

pierce iso
rondo controlling the ball
pulling hot guys out
runnin vets into the ground to the point they have no energy
callin no timeouts
not using your younger players when neede( IE WHite, Meko, Randolph)
-If Ray doesnt go down last year, Bradley sees no playing time

We need a coach and Gm that's a visionary after this year.

1. Pierce ISO - he's our best (and only true) scorer, and most teams with a scorer as talented as Pierce would do the same

2. Rondo controlling the ball - Doc gives Rondo full control of the game when he is on the court, this is Rondo's fault

3. Pulling hot guys out - evem guys who are hot need rest.  From our point of view we see a guy going off and scoring like a beast...from his point of view he might se a guy who just gave it everything he had for the last 10 minutes and is now so tired he's struggling to get up and down the court.

4. Running vets into the ground - KG is averaging 28 MPG, Pierce is averaging not much more than 30 MPG, Terry is averaging around 27 MPG.  IIRC every one of those guys is playing the lowest minutes in the last 10 years of their careers.

5. Not using younger guys - Doc still wants to win games, and it takes new guys time to adjust to the system..and takes him time to see what they can and cannot do.  He's been giving them some more time lately, but if he feels they aren't yet comfortable in the system and they will be a liability on the court, he won't put them in...simple.

6. Calling no timeouts - most coaches like to save timeouts for the last few minutes of games in case it goes down the wire

7. Bradley - he was clearly struggling offensively and had not yet proven he was ready to handle the load.  Ray Allen is a future hall of famer, a former champion and the greatest shooter arguably of all time.  The eventual starting of Bradley over Ray seemingly offended Ray so much he refused to return the next season...and this is AFTER Bradley showed us what he can do.  Imagine if he cut Ray's minutes for a 20 year old guy who had proven nothing?  AB got his opportunity and he made the most of it, and he earned himself a bigger role on the team.  Kudo's to him - I'm glad that Doc makes these young guys earn their playing time.

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315
I'd watch what happens with KG and his injury.  Not only would his loss take the last fig leaf from this season, but IMO it could lead to his retirement--which could lead to Doc's walking away from the team as of next year.

I think KG might retire, too -- and indeed, I rather hope that he does.  I think it's just time.  I don't want to see him drag himself up and down the court in pain for a team that isn't winning anything of significance.  Let him keep his dignity.

As for Doc, he signed a 5 year extension when he knew Pierce and Garnett couldn't possibly stick around for that long.  I don't think he's planning on leaving once Pierce and KG are gone.  Maybe if Rondo goes, too, but I doubt it.

I've heard Doc since his signing say he makes his decision year-to-year anyway.  I wouldn't put a lot on the length of his deal.

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315

I've heard Doc since his signing say he makes his decision year-to-year anyway.  I wouldn't put a lot on the length of his deal.

Oh, also, Doc and Grande joked in last night's pregame interview about the possibility of Doc retiring from the team sooner than people expect.

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
This thread makes me nostalgic for the days when Doc was an idiot for refusing to play Shelden Williams and Paddy O'Bryant more.

Offline Boston Garden Leprechaun

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1671
LET'S GO CELTICS!

Offline The Rondo Show

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 364
  • Hook 'Em
Barring a long-term major injury, we're not going to open up the rotations this close to the playoffs.

However, I would like to see some of these guys for more than 30 seconds a game or whatever.
DKC Suns

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 383
  • Jeff Green
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1651
  • What a Pub Should Be
I wouldn't put too much of the blame on Doc.

I'd place much more emphasis on the fact that he just doesn't have the horses right now and has been getting inconsistent play from many of the veterans on this ball club.  To me, that last part is more on the players.   I could care less that the 11th and 12th players on the bench are getting little to no playing time. They shouldn't be in the first place.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
If we had sully and barbosa where would we be now? the players are exhausted and also without a legit big man after kg, we are getting killed in the block shot and rebounding department.

Far from doc's issue imo

craford can do what barbosa did + he is young look at what he got 21 points, that is what doc wants from him a barbosa guy...
on the case of sully, he is still a rookie and learning
but the defensive positioning he has, those box outs + rebounds, but take note...sometimes and even most of the times sully only gets 4 or 5 rebounds a game...
which is to me, since randolph and white are sign for the rest of the season they can fill that role, white can block shots and somehow clogged the middle, randolph for reboounds, and they both played defensively today

Sully did not only rebound 4 to 5 regularly. He also scored  6-8 points consistently, 2 assists or more, was a very good man to man defender and was coming to his own as a team defender. Plus those box outs were gold.

Randolph or White may get you 4 rebounds , but can't do alot of the little things above. Sully was considered a top 10 pick once for a reason vs these guys who are 2nd round or non drafted skilled players.

Also crawford and barbosa are similiar in tha they can score in bunches, thats where the similiarities end. Barbosa plays the game at a faster level and decision to either drive, shoot and pass for the most part was sound. He is also an elite penetrator and suprisingly defense was realy good this year. Crawford on the other hand, doesn't do these little things well and sometimes looks lost out there in deciding what to do. This not only hurts him but the team, who also get confused

The bottom line is, we are trying to move forward as best as we can and have somewhat replaced these two key players productions. But if they were here, we would of been a much better team than now. I mean at least 4 wins up and have locked into a playoffs spot.