Author Topic: Totally and utterly disappointed  (Read 14601 times)

Re: Totally and utterly disappointed
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2013, 09:28:04 AM »

Offline BruceBanner18

• NCE
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 73
29 teams fail to win a title every year. I say enjoy the ride, and take advantage of the opportunity to watc a couple of Hall of Famernls play for your favorite team.

Damage control........we came into the season with high hopes on winning a title.........and now we're reduced to having to settle for watching two hall of famers past their primes play and get bounced out of the first or second round.........yay......

Stuff happens.  It's not Danny's fault that Rondo, Sully, and Barbosa all had season-ending injuries.

It must suck being a sports fan, if there's no other joy than winning a title.

But you are making a straw argument.  OP explicitly states that it is not just about winning a title every year.  Its about either having a title shot OR building/growing a young team/players.  I happen to agree, that is my 'joy' watching sports/athletes.  Either winning or growing.  I don't enjoy all star games or farewell tours, sorry.  Loved Roy Jones, but don't want to see him 'competing' at a lower level, in fact it is a little depressing.  Same with KG and PP.  I would rather have cheered a young Celtics team AND watched two HOF'ers make another run at a title on a contending team. 

But unfortunately, imho, we are now all aboard KG's victory lap/farewell tour, which is essentially the same act with less wins.  Just like Roy Jones...kinda sad. 

« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2013, 09:29:46 AM »

Offline Lightskinsmurf

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 134
29 teams fail to win a title every year. I say enjoy the ride, and take advantage of the opportunity to watc a couple of Hall of Famernls play for your favorite team.

Damage control........we came into the season with high hopes on winning a title.........and now we're reduced to having to settle for watching two hall of famers past their primes play and get bounced out of the first or second round.........yay......p

Stuff happens.  It's not Danny's fault that Rondo, Sully, and Barbosa all had season-ending injuries.

I find joy in a couple of things besides winning a title. One, the journey. Meaning the fun we have on our way to winning one *Regular season*. And two, watching a young team with alot of potential *Not ready yet* on its way to one day becoming real contenders for a title.

There's absolutely no fun in watching a team be stuck in the middle of the pack going no where fast. Worst position to be in is where we're at. No hope in a title, no chance at the number one pick in the draft, no nothing.

You act like we are the Hawks or something. How many people do you think consider the Celtics to have been middle of the pack for a while? I mean if your goal is to not have one season being in the middle than I dont know what to tell you. Having one season middle of the pack is better than imagining you can trade Rondo now and somehow get players to make you a top 2 team or trying to trade all your players and lose as many games as possible

Right now that's exactly what we are. I wanted to either start rebuilding now or make whatever trade to give us a better shot at winning now. The last thing i want is to just stay at good but not good enough. We will be that again next season and the one after as long as we keep a team built around 45 year old pierce and kg.

This year was our best shot and i felt like it was our last real shot. Next year KG and pierce will be another year older plus rondo coming off ACL surgery.

« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2013, 09:31:53 AM »

Offline Lightskinsmurf

• NCE
  • Don Chaney

Damage control........we came into the season with high hopes on winning a title.........and now we're reduced to having to settle for watching two hall of famers past their primes play and get bounced out of the first or second round.........yay......

But you are making a straw argument.  OP explicitly states that it is not just about winning a title every year. Its about either having a title shot OR building/growing a young team/players.  I happen to agree, that is my 'joy' watching sports/athletes.  Either winning or growing.  I don't enjoy all star games or farewell tours, sorry.  Loved Roy Jones, but don't want to see him 'competing' at a lower level, in fact it is a little depressing.  Same with KG and PP.  I would rather have cheered a young Celtics team AND watched two HOF'ers make another run at a title on a contending team. 

But unfortunately, imho, we are now all aboard KG's victory lap/farewell tour, which is essentially the same act with less wins.  Just like Roy Jones...kinda sad.

Exactly, if you're not doing either then you're most likely the atlanta hawks of the NBA.

« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2013, 09:38:31 AM »

Offline eugen

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 40
I am suprised to see people to be happy after trade deadline. Maybe some people have short memory. Remember the opinions after game lost Vs Atlanta @ Philips Arena. All people were ready to make big changes. The ownersahip too, was thinking of rebuilt after this game. What is the impact?

« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2013, 09:39:08 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25577
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

But you are making a straw argument.  OP explicitly states that it is not just about winning a title every year.  Its about either having a title shot OR building/growing a young team/players.  I happen to agree, that is my 'joy' watching sports/athletes.  Either winning or growing.  I don't enjoy all star games or farewell tours, sorry.  Loved Roy Jones, but don't want to see him 'competing' at a lower level, in fact it is a little depressing.  Same with KG and PP.  I would rather have cheered a young Celtics team AND watched two HOF'ers make another run at a title on a contending team. 

We are developing young players.  Bradley and Sully played big minutes.  We added Crawford.  Green is still pretty young. 

Would our future be appreciably brighter if we had Eric Bledsoe and an overpaid DeAndre Jordan, along with Kris Humphries and Marshon Brooks?  I say no.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2013, 09:39:49 AM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1040
I couldn't agree more. I am totally and utterly disappointed as well.

I, however, do not have these feelings toward the team or management. I have them for this board. Not Jeff or the mods or the countless good posters on here, but the ones who infiltrate every thread to spew negativity for no apparent reason. I'm not going to go on a rant even though I'd like to, but this place has been a pathetic forum the last few weeks.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2013, 09:41:02 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
I have not heard of one trade rumor that would have given this team a better future.

The best prospect I hear to come to the Celtics is another 6 foot G.  The Celtics already have two of them for the future.  What good does a third one really do except they will have to trade one of them. 

« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2013, 09:46:06 AM »

Offline tonyto3690

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 39
Yes, lets trade our two HOF veterans who have been the face of the franchise and coaches and leaders on and off the court for our young players for superstar talents such as Deandre Jordan and Marshon Brooks.  Because those two players would definitely get us closer to a title.

Don't be ridiculous.  Right now I see this year as a year given to get Green, Bradley and was Sullinger some burn and see what they can do and get back into the game.   We aren't winning a title or doing anything better to rebuild with or without KG/Pierce.  A Brooklyn or Clipper first round pick isn't going to net us much of anyone and nothing they offered would be guys you want to build a franchise around.

On top of that, for all we know they already told Ainge they're retiring after this season and he isn't going to just give away their expiring contracts and would rather have that cap space to sign Josh Smith this offseason.  And then wouldn't all of you look like fools for being so shortsighted.

If we happen to get a chance to knockout the Heat, that is just gravy.  I am going to enjoy perhaps KG and Pierces last seasons together instead of complaining that Ainge didn't manage to trade for Lebron James.

« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2013, 09:48:21 AM »

Online BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1830
You may be totally and utterly disappointed, but all this translates to me being overjoyed.

« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2013, 09:48:48 AM »

Offline Lightskinsmurf

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
I have not heard of one trade rumor that would have given this team a better future.

The best prospect I hear to come to the Celtics is another 6 foot G.  The Celtics already have two of them for the future.  What good does a third one really do except they will have to trade one of them.

I'm not excusing danny of turning down a great deal that could have put us on the right track going forward. All I'm saying is where we're at right now is the absolute worst position to be in the NBA, period.

« Reply #25 on: February 22, 2013, 09:49:41 AM »

Offline CelticG1

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 288

Damage control........we came into the season with high hopes on winning a title.........and now we're reduced to having to settle for watching two hall of famers past their primes play and get bounced out of the first or second round.........yay......p

I find joy in a couple of things besides winning a title. One, the journey. Meaning the fun we have on our way to winning one *Regular season*. And two, watching a young team with alot of potential *Not ready yet* on its way to one day becoming real contenders for a title.

There's absolutely no fun in watching a team be stuck in the middle of the pack going no where fast. Worst position to be in is where we're at. No hope in a title, no chance at the number one pick in the draft, no nothing.

You act like we are the Hawks or something. How many people do you think consider the Celtics to have been middle of the pack for a while? I mean if your goal is to not have one season being in the middle than I dont know what to tell you. Having one season middle of the pack is better than imagining you can trade Rondo now and somehow get players to make you a top 2 team or trying to trade all your players and lose as many games as possible

Right now that's exactly what we are. I wanted to either start rebuilding now or make whatever trade to give us a better shot at winning now. The last thing i want is to just stay at good but not good enough. We will be that again next season and the one after as long as we keep a team built around 45 year old pierce and kg.

This year was our best shot and i felt like it was our last real shot. Next year KG and pierce will be another year older plus rondo coming off ACL surgery.

Your right we are the hawks literally right now. Just like we were in 2010. Haha. Dont know what to tell people who literally dont want this team to be from the 15th to the 5th seed ever in one season. My guess is theres a kittle chance that may hapen again.

Id love to hear your brilliant proposals for this team. Please let them include Kris HumphriesPLEASE

« Reply #26 on: February 22, 2013, 09:52:01 AM »

Offline Lightskinsmurf

• NCE
  • Don Chaney

Your right we are the hawks literally right now. Just like we were in 2010. Haha. Dont know what to tell people who literally dont want this team to be from the 15th to the 5th seed ever in one season. My guess is theres a kittle chance that may hapen again.

Id love to hear your brilliant proposals for this team. Please let them include Kris HumphriesPLEASE

No not like they were in 2010. In 2010 I am on record saying that team was coasting. This team, this team just isn't good enough and that's clear to anyone with any real basketball knowledge.

« Reply #27 on: February 22, 2013, 09:53:34 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

Has KG actually said he's retiring at the end of the year?

« Reply #28 on: February 22, 2013, 10:08:00 AM »

Offline CelticG1

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 288

No not like they were in 2010. In 2010 I am on record saying that team was coasting. This team, this team just isn't good enough and that's clear to anyone with any real basketball knowledge.

You dont think its a little absurd to be upset with the team and management for being middle of the pack or the 15th-5th seed for one season. Wouldnt that be a ridciculiusly shorted sighted way of how to assemble and change your team year after year.

We arent in a great position. But I thin its stupid to blow it up for the little assets we would have received.

I mean sure im dissapointed we didnt get some all star for nothing at the deadline but im not mad or balming anyone.. I didnt have some crazy expectations of that and its not like moves were happening all over the place. Weve had very little room to work with over the past few years.

I just dont get what people expected and I have yet to hear some great master plan from you all. I mean its not really worth it anyway since we have no idea what was available but whatever.

I am happy we didnt land J smith tho. Completely overrated player who we would have to throw a ton of money at for a guy whonis basically had a gerald wallace type of career

« Reply #29 on: February 22, 2013, 10:11:14 AM »

Offline BruceBanner18

• NCE
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 73

We are developing young players.  Bradley and Sully played big minutes.  We added Crawford.  Green is still pretty young. 

Would our future be appreciably brighter if we had Eric Bledsoe and an overpaid DeAndre Jordan, along with Kris Humphries and Marshon Brooks?  I say no.

If KG and PP play another season (13-14), which I think is plausible (get the band back together for one more run), then I do not see how we keep/build from the young talent we have.  After next season, (summer '14-15) We will have been in the luxury tax for 2 years and will need to drop below the threshold next summer, but we will have no PP/KG AND still have Bass, Lee and Terry taking up 18 million of tax space AND Bradley will be an RFA AND Rondo will be in the last year of his contract.  So what is left for the following summer (15-16). 

This is why either selling low on one of Rondo, Green, Bradley, Sully and sacrificing the future (which if is laid out as above is farely non existent) may have been the right move.  OR using the little value PP and KG have to get some assets, but more importantly, imo, to clear some cap space (dip under the cap this year, to allow for $$ to be spent to build around Rondo, Bradley Green).  Not doing anything leaves us with a bleak immediate future and financially challenging medium future.

Let me clarify, I understand that this is fluid, but we have been painted into a corner.  Its not all on Danny, but we have to hold him accountable to the situation, no?  He was trying to move KG, according to reports, so he gets this too.  I think he can sneak out of the situation if the stars align, but it is a challenging spot for sure.