Author Topic: Allen Iverson Needs A Job!  (Read 8605 times)

Re: At this point, would you call Allen Iverson? Yes or No
« Reply #30 on: February 12, 2013, 05:55:08 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
He's still full of pride & feels he's above the D-League

I don't want to go after anyone who feels this way.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #31 on: February 12, 2013, 05:55:59 PM »

Offline anthony83

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 36
I'm at a loss of words & Celtics bodies. At this point I think I would check in on Allen Iverson & see what his mindset is & how active hes been in the gym. He's still full of pride & feels he's above the D-League & he's a better natural playmaker than Barbosa was so would you guys do it? I'm sure he could score 15-17 in his sleep & if he could dish out 4-5 ast. & get 2 stl. he could be worth the so called trouble. I'm sure he would respect KG & Pierce & they would give it back in return. Plus believe it or not I think it would be good for the league to have Iverson in it good or bad as he is a lightning rod!

+111111111111

BRING BACK ALLEN IVERSON,Iverson overrated in his prime, please, AI=LEGEND=FUTURE HALL OF FAME.

Twitter: @Theanswer83

« Reply #32 on: February 12, 2013, 05:56:28 PM »

Offline celtsfan84

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 80
He was pretty bad in his final two seasons, even setting aside his reputation (his season in Detroit and his season between Philadelphia and Memphis.

He's also been out of the league for the last 2 years.

I wouldn't be interested in anybody who hasn't played quality basketball in four years.

« Reply #33 on: February 12, 2013, 05:57:29 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2703
Jordan mentioned coming back and playing at 50, should we sign him too?

Enough with the A.I. threads, i loved watching him play 10 yrs ago too, but the guy is done and won't help anything.

I'd much rather give a 50 year old Jordan a try than Iverson at 37. AI's game was all based on speed and athleticism, it's all been gone long ago. He's too small, and suffered too many beatings going to the hoop in his time in the NBA to have anything left now.

« Reply #34 on: February 12, 2013, 06:00:25 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
he's completely washed up isn't he?  I think we'd get more from some random d-leaguer.  It's a bummer we lost Barbosa. We were playing great with him.

Even in Iverson's prime he was pretty overrated... very inefficient scorer.  He shot like 40% for most of his career.  Total ballhog chucker.  Never liked him.

Allen Iverson is a future HOFer.

Not many 6'0" PGs can single-handedly lead his team to the Finals.

As for whether or not to give him a call?

I'd say NO...ONLY BECAUSE - doing such a thing and then..."Gasp", lol...Danny Ainge signing Allen Iverson - would cause CelticsBlog to implode upon itself.

;D

He is, IMO, a divisive character on here.

« Reply #35 on: February 12, 2013, 06:01:23 PM »

Offline erisred

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 37
No, just plain no!

« Reply #36 on: February 12, 2013, 06:01:27 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2703
Can Doc suite up as a player/coach?

In all honesty, I see the reverend finally deciding to come back after Barbosa's injury. He almost came back after the Rondo injury.

« Reply #37 on: February 12, 2013, 06:02:50 PM »

Offline KG_ended_Bias

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 51
Iverson was a supreme athlete so I think he could contribute something more than a average D-Leaguer! Look at Terrell Owens, GM's hate on him & don't give him another shot because he's near 40. But he still can't be stopped by 90% of the corners in the league. Should T.O. go to the CFL & waste his body there when he could be getting 900-1100 yards in the NFL? Iverson could score 13pts a game with us off the bench with no problems.

« Reply #38 on: February 12, 2013, 06:06:48 PM »

Offline celtsfan84

• Bill Walton
Iverson was a supreme athlete so I think he could contribute something more than a average D-Leaguer! Look at Terrell Owens, GM's hate on him & don't give him another shot because he's near 40. But he still can't be stopped by 90% of the corners in the league. Should T.O. go to the CFL & waste his body there when he could be getting 900-1100 yards in the NFL? Iverson could score 13pts a game with us off the bench with no problems.

From National Football Post's Dan Pompei:

A front office man points out that one of the reasons Terrell Owens will be moving on to his fourth team in four years this year is he doesn’t always run his route the way he is supposed to and he leaves a lot of gray area for the quarterback. Last year, he led the NFL in most interceptions as a targeted receiver with 12, according to Stats, Inc. What’s more, he has led the league in the category with 43 interceptions over the last five years. And another issue with T.O? He was third in the league in drops last year with 11.

Owens is out of the league because he drops passes and runs bad routes.  He is also over the hill.

« Reply #39 on: February 12, 2013, 06:14:20 PM »

Offline KG_ended_Bias

• Jaylen Brown

A front office man points out that one of the reasons Terrell Owens will be moving on to his fourth team in four years this year is he doesn’t always run his route the way he is supposed to and he leaves a lot of gray area for the quarterback. Last year, he led the NFL in most interceptions as a targeted receiver with 12, according to Stats, Inc. What’s more, he has led the league in the category with 43 interceptions over the last five years. And another issue with T.O? He was third in the league in drops last year with 11.

Owens is out of the league because he drops passes and runs bad routes.  He is also over the hill.
They guy had close to 100 yds his last full season with then Bengals. Make all the stats up you want about T.O. but how good has the Eagles been after he left I think they were 14-2 & a "superbowl" appearance. What about the Cowboys 13-3 & a Patrick Crayton dropped wide open T.D. that helped the Giants steal that game & eventually beat the Pats in the S.B. the 1st time. SF is barely getting back to prominence years after he left & Dallas still hasn't recovered! look at all the turmoil there they tried to place on T.O., I guess he wasn't the problem huh? But all his teams seems to be in contention I wonder why!

« Reply #40 on: February 12, 2013, 06:16:41 PM »

Offline celtsfan84

• Bill Walton

They guy had close to 100 yds his last full season with then Bengals. Make all the stats up you want about T.O. but how good has the Eagles been after he left I think they were 14-2 & a "superbowl" appearance. What about the Cowboys 13-3 & a Patrick Crayton dropped wide open T.D. that helped the Giants steal that game & eventually beat the Pats in the S.B. the 1st time. SF is barely getting back to prominence years after he left & Dallas still hasn't recovered! look at all the turmoil there they tried to place on T.O., I guess he wasn't the problem huh? But all his teams seems to be in contention I wonder why!

You're talking about games from a long time ago.  I said Owens is washed up now, he wasn't washed up in 2004.  It's the year 2013.  The Bengals, his most recent team, are MUCH better without him.  You seem to have trouble understanding that player skills can diminish with age.  What Owens did in 2004 with the Eagles has no ability at all on what he can do now.  Ditto for Iverson in 2001.  We are in 2013.  Both guys are out of their respective leagues because they aren't good enough anymore.

Iverson is a Hall of Famer.  Owens is a potential Hall of Famer.  So are Michael Jordan and Jerry Rice.  It's over for all four of them.

« Reply #41 on: February 12, 2013, 06:20:49 PM »

Offline KG_ended_Bias

• Jaylen Brown

And the Bengals, his most recent team, are MUCH better without him.
This may be true but he definitely wasn't the problem that season. He was probably their lone bright spot being Carson Palmer stunk up the joint & they got a better QB to replace him in Dalton. Put T.O. last year with A.J. Green & they may go to the Super Bowl. They definitely most likely beats Houston in that 1st round.

« Reply #42 on: February 12, 2013, 06:22:34 PM »

Offline celtsfan84

• Bill Walton

This may be true but he definitely wasn't the problem that season. He was probably their lone bright spot being Carson Palmer stunk up the joint & they got a better QB to replace him in Dalton. Put T.O. last year with A.J. Green & they may go to the Super Bowl. They definitely most likely beats Houston in that 1st round.

Not a chance.  We're in 2013, not 2004.

Maybe I'm wrong and you're just a better talent evaluator than every NFL and NBA front office, who have access to even more stats and film than you and I.

« Reply #43 on: February 12, 2013, 06:25:42 PM »

Offline KG_ended_Bias

• Jaylen Brown

Not a chance.
Your kidding aren't you? T.O. on that Bengals team as 2nd or 3rd receiver wouldn't have propelled them a little higher than they went is crazy thinking. Off the head you probably can't name their 2nd & 3rd WR which is exactly what i'm talking about. It was Green or Bust!

« Reply #44 on: February 12, 2013, 06:26:47 PM »

Offline ItStaysYang

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 25
He's still full of pride & feels he's above the D-League

I don't want to go after anyone who feels this way.

That is the best post I have ever read on these forums, which are filled with lunacy and lack of rationality. So glad none of these ridiculous CB posters are the Celtic's GM