Author Topic: Rumor Bargnani for Boozer swap, raptors can accept anytime they want  (Read 6611 times)

Offline crownontherocks

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 86
The Chicago Bulls and Toronto Raptors have engaged in exploratory trade discussions on a deal that would swap the Bulls' Carlos Boozer for the Raptors' Andrea Bargnani, according to sources familiar with the discussions.

Other players with smaller contracts would have to be added to the deal to make the salary-cap math work, should talks indeed progress to a more serious level, but sources told ESPN.com on Thursday that both teams have given consideration to the move.

From Chicago's perspective, sources said, Bargnani's arrival could help address their glaring lack of 3-point shooting and brighten the overall look of its payroll, given that the Italian forward makes $5 million less than Boozer this season. Despite his well-chronicled defensive deficiencies, Bargnani would figure to be an effective pick-and-roll partner for Derrick Rose, once Rose makes his expected return from knee surgery after the All-Star break.

The biggest impediment to such a trade, sources said, is believed to be whether Toronto can realistically afford having both Rudy Gay and Boozer on its payroll beyond this season.

The Raptors, fresh off acquiring Gay from Memphis last week, have been openly shopping Bargnani, who resumed the most disappointing season of his career Wednesday night after missing 26 games with an elbow injury.

Although Toronto's desire to upgrade its front line is an open secret -- as confirmed by their long-running interest in trading for the Los Angeles Lakers' Pau Gasol before Gasol's foot injury this week -- it's believed that the luxury-tax implications of trading for Boozer could ultimately dissuade the Raptors from such a deal, even if Chicago proved willing.

Raptors president Bryan Colangelo told local reporters after the Gay trade that the team was prepared to stray into luxury-tax territory for the "right transaction." It remains to be seen whether a deal for Boozer qualifies.

It's been long assumed around the league that the Bulls might consider releasing Boozer through the NBA's one-time amnesty provision at season's end, but Boozer has tuned out such talk to be one of Chicago's most productive players in 2013, rallying from a so-so start to average 19.5 points and 10.1 rebounds in January.

The NBA's annual trade deadline is Feb. 21 and the Raptors are known to be actively searching for a new home for Bargnani, who was selected with the No. 1 overall pick in the 2006 draft but has gradually fallen out of favor with Raptors fans after Toronto's four straight seasons out of the playoffs. Their list of potential trade partners is likely to be limited, however, because Bargnani -- on top of his on-court struggles this season -- has two years left on his contract after this one, valued at slightly more than $22 million total.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2013, 05:31:14 PM by crownontherocks »

Re: Rumor Bargnani for Boozer swap
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2013, 06:09:27 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Why? Seems like a pointless trade for both teams.

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2013, 06:12:12 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
Although Toronto's desire to upgrade its front line is an open secret -- as confirmed by their long-running interest in trading for the Los Angeles Lakers' Pau Gasol before Gasol's foot injury this week -- it's believed that the luxury-tax implications of trading for Boozer could ultimately dissuade the Raptors from such a deal, even if Chicago proved willing.

There is no way Toronto pays the luxury tax for a non-contender. Heck, borderline playoff team.

The Raptors are one of the most luxury tax phobic organizations in the league.

This trade won't happen. Not unless Toronto can cut salary elsewhere and stay below the luxury tax threshold. They won't pay the tax for Boozer and that overall roster.

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2013, 06:15:17 PM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!
I think it weakens the Bulls.

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2013, 06:15:38 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
I would love to see Bargnani play for Tom Thibodeau though.

I think it might be too late for Bargnani. Too many bad habits. Too difficult to change. It's such a shame Toronto did such a bad job developing Bargnani. But if anyone can turn things around for Bargnani, Tom Thibodeau has to be one of the best, if no the very best, options to do so.

I wouldn't take the risk if I were Chicago but I would love see Bargnani get one last chance in a top quality defensive orientated team under a coach like Thibodeau.

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2013, 06:15:49 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990
I hope they do it. The Bulls will weaken a bit without Boozer. And might damage them with Bargnani!

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2013, 06:22:18 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885

Yeah this doesnt make much sense to me either.

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2013, 06:26:46 PM »

Online Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 412
I think it weakens the Bulls.
Big time!!
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2013, 06:31:25 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!
I would love to see Bargnani play for Tom Thibodeau though.

I think it might be too late for Bargnani. Too many bad habits. Too difficult to change. It's such a shame Toronto did such a bad job developing Bargnani. But if anyone can turn things around for Bargnani, Tom Thibodeau has to be one of the best, if no the very best, options to do so.

I wouldn't take the risk if I were Chicago but I would love see Bargnani get one last chance in a top quality defensive orientated team under a coach like Thibodeau.

Well, Carlos Boozer is not exactly a defensive stallwart. Tom's system covers up a lot of Boozer's weaknesses. I don't see Chicago going from Boozer to Bargs being that much of an issue on the defensive end. Offensively, I think it'll make them better offensively. Bargs can spread the floor and could become a legitimate 2nd option on the offense for them. Where it might hurt the Bulls is on the glass - Bargs is bad rebounder. I don't really see that changing much, but as long as they have guys like Deng, Noah, and Gibson off the bench, the decrease in rebounding shouldn't be too drastic or something they can't recover from.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2013, 06:35:39 PM »

Offline snively

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 454

Not sure if a 1-to-1 swap would work, but if it did, it would put Chicago under the tax.  That owner has done quite a bit to avoid the tax in the past.
2016 CelticsBlog Draft: Chicago Bulls

Head Coach: Fred Hoiberg

Starters: Rubio, Danny Green, Durant, Markieff Morris, Capela
Bench: Sessions, Shumpert, G. Green, T. Booker, Frye
Deep Bench: CJ Watson, H. Thompson, P. Zipser, Papagiannis, Mejri

« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2013, 06:38:38 PM »

Offline snively

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 454
They might need a 3rd team to dump Kleiza on. 
2016 CelticsBlog Draft: Chicago Bulls

Head Coach: Fred Hoiberg

Starters: Rubio, Danny Green, Durant, Markieff Morris, Capela
Bench: Sessions, Shumpert, G. Green, T. Booker, Frye
Deep Bench: CJ Watson, H. Thompson, P. Zipser, Papagiannis, Mejri

« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2013, 06:40:14 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950

It's an upgrade for the Raptors and it probably makes sense from the Bulls' POV if they value certain financial considerations over winning.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2013, 06:54:13 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
Noah and Bargnani would make for the best "buddy-cop" movie co-stars since Chris Tucker and Jackie Chan. Hilarity ensues!
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

Toronto/Chicago discusses Boozer for Bargnani trade
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2013, 08:36:05 PM »

Offline esel1000

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 587
http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/226005/Sources-Bulls-Raptors-Considering-Boozer-Bargnani-Trade

I like the trade for the raptors. Gives them a solid big man thats a really good rebounder. You have to admit the raps would have a pretty solid lineup. Lowry, Gay, Boozer, Johnson, etc. That's a future playoff team.

Re: Toronto/Chicago discusses Boozer for Bargnani trade
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2013, 08:48:31 PM »

Offline syfy9

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 291
  • We may as well put Tyrion in at center.
Uhh good trade for both teams.

Bulls benefit a lot too. Boozer isn't exactly known as a defensive stopper, and Bargs would spread the floor so well for a limited offensive team, as well as create for himself.
I like Marcus Smart