Author Topic: CBS Sports that teams "have begun inquiring" about Jason Terry  (Read 8586 times)

Re: CBS Sports that teams "have begun inquiring" about Jason Terry
« Reply #30 on: February 02, 2013, 08:10:37 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I thought he played well last night but let's temper this with the fact it was the Magic.   Up to now he hasn't earned his pay that much but he played well last night.

« Reply #31 on: February 02, 2013, 08:49:44 AM »

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
I'm so confused. Edited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline. do people think this team is competing for? They were a sub .500 team with their best player and now without him we are winning it all? ::)

Time to wake up and join the real world people!

Bulls looked good without Rose last year too, than they were one and done I believe?

This current team as is, is not going anywhere in the playoffs! If you want to make a trade to make the team better this year AND for the future great. But what we have now is a team that right now would face the Heat in the first round and will be lucky to win one game!

« Reply #32 on: February 02, 2013, 08:58:01 AM »

Offline Boston Garden Leprechaun

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1550
LET'S GO CELTICS!

« Reply #33 on: February 02, 2013, 09:01:07 AM »

Offline Boston Garden Leprechaun

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1550
I was hard on Jet......but I now think maybe Rondo walking the ball,holding it , killing the offensive flow  was large part of Jet , Lee,and Greens problem.

Not kick n. Rondo when he is down,  but Doc and DA need to make him play a looser offensive game where he doesn't stand around dribbling the ball all day

Hmmn. ya don't say? It is clear rondo/doc's style was the problem in the others not being their best and doing their thing. it is why i said rondo can be traded. now that he is hurt. fahgetaboutit.
LET'S GO CELTICS!

« Reply #34 on: February 02, 2013, 12:44:57 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
If that trade doesn't help us this year, pass.

That's pretty illogical thinking IMO ,we aren't competing for anything , and Terry is on a long term contract. What's the point of keeping him if you can clear cap space and pick up a pick ?

You might not want to compete for anything, but I am, and the team certainly is.
This. Whoever's thinking that the C's are not competing for anything must be a faux fan. I'd say keep terry, get a servicable big and trade bass then see how far this team go.

What's your definition of "anything"?

If you mean a lower seed in the playoffs and a puncher's chance at winning a series, then okay, sure.  That's not outside the realm of possibility.

But making a deep run in the playoffs?  Challenging for a title?  Out of the question.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #35 on: February 02, 2013, 01:02:45 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
I think the assumption about the Celtics wanting to get under the tax line by the media is not a correct one. Teams around the league are doing this because of the repeat offender's tax.

The Celtics are a team at the end of its run. We will have plenty of time the next few years to get under the tax number (to be a repeat offender you need to be over the tax for 4 out of 5 years).

Also I think Terry is going to play much better in the second half of the season. Moving him before the deadline would be selling low.

But If they do move him I see this as being the type of move for the future that they do
http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=abea38j, you could also replace Aldrich with someone else.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2013, 01:22:26 PM by Evantime34 »
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #36 on: February 02, 2013, 01:20:12 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I think the assumption about the Celtics wanting to get under the tax line by the media is not a correct one. Teams around the league are doing this because of the repeat offender's tax.

The Celtics are a team at the end of its run. We will have plenty of time the next few years to get under the tax number (to be a repeat offender you need to be over the tax for 4 out of 5 years).

Also I think Terry is going to play much better in the second half of the season. Moving him before the deadline would be selling low.

Being a luxury tax team also restrains you in other ways, I believe.  I'm pretty sure that it affects your ability to use cap exceptions and perform sign and trades.

Not to mention that the ownership group probably doesn't want to pay luxury tax for a team that's going to barely win 40 games or so.

And I disagree that trading Terry now would be selling low.  Given his age, I doubt his value is ever going to be much higher than it is right now.  A contender is much more likely to give up a useful asset for him before the trade deadline with the hopes that he can contribute to their playoff push this season rather than trading for him in the off-season.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #37 on: February 02, 2013, 01:25:59 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
Agree with the "keep him" camp.

1. We're going to return nothing for a trade - what is the point? Why is being under the luxury tax that important right now? Our books will be clean soon enough. As another poster said, being a repeat offender will require us dodging many more bullets in the future, and the threat isn't even worth considering right now, especially since...

2. We have two HOFers in their twilight years and a fighter's chance at making noise in the playoffs (which we make the best of every year with this unit). As another poster said, why would you throw away that opportunity? What do we have to look forward to that would trump the fun of watching one last fight?! Let KG and Paul go down in blood, sweat and tears. I don't get the sense either would prefer otherwise, if the option was theirs...
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #38 on: February 02, 2013, 01:29:37 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley

Being a luxury tax team also restrains you in other ways, I believe.  I'm pretty sure that it affects your ability to use cap exceptions and perform sign and trades.

Not to mention that the ownership group probably doesn't want to pay luxury tax for a team that's going to barely win 40 games or so.

And I disagree that trading Terry now would be selling low.  Given his age, I doubt his value is ever going to be much higher than it is right now.  A contender is much more likely to give up a useful asset for him before the trade deadline with the hopes that he can contribute to their playoff push this season rather than trading for him in the off-season.
If the Celtics win 40 or so games I expect that is good enough for the playoffs. If they get in the playoffs they can make a large portion of the luxury tax expense back through game day revenue. So the net would probably be about even.

On Terry I guess I'm just more optimistic about his second half play than you are. I think with Rondo out and them going smaller more often due to the Sullinger injury I expect him to start giving us Dallas Maverick JET.

That's not to say I would be shocked by a Jet move. If we get an OK young player or pick along with expiring contracts I would be satisfied. I modified my previous post to include a trade for Bass and Terry (we would also get a first) or another young Houston player.

« Reply #39 on: February 02, 2013, 01:33:17 PM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
February 15th is about 2 weeks away...i rather wait and see how this team does til then...

our guards rotation since the Rondo injury is actually pretty good and consistent scoring...let's keep it that way and see how the Celtics adapt to these rotations for a while

« Reply #40 on: February 02, 2013, 01:34:44 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Sources tell CBS Sports that teams "have begun inquiring" about Jason Terry.
Now that the Celtics have lost two starters (Rajon Rondo, Jared Sullinger) in a week, the sharks smell blood. Boston reportedly remains in "wait-and-see" mode, but it's hard to see them not doing something at the Feb. 21 deadline to get under the tax line. At 22-23, there's no real hope for a title run here. Terry would attract interest from contending teams as a spark off the bench.

Source: Ken Berger on Twitter Feb 1 - 5:30

The Celtics are $1.5M over the tax line and need to make some decisions before the Feb. 21 trade deadline.
Tough luck for them, because Terry is no longer expendable. Whoops :)
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #41 on: February 02, 2013, 01:42:15 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
February 15th is about 2 weeks away...i rather wait and see how this team does til then...

our guards rotation since the Rondo injury is actually pretty good and consistent scoring...let's keep it that way and see how the Celtics adapt to these rotations for a while
Trade deadline is the 21st not the 15th

« Reply #42 on: February 02, 2013, 05:58:49 PM »

Offline danglertx

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 210
I thought he played well last night but let's temper this with the fact it was the Magic.   Up to now he hasn't earned his pay that much but he played well last night.

He had two of the three biggest baskets against the Heat.  Well one of the biggest and drew a foul and hit two free throws for the other in double OT.  He gave a little fake to Allen and got Ray to slap his arm, he calmly hit two free throws.  He also had that sweeping drive and floated the ball over Bosh to cut the Heat lead down to 1 with a minute or so left.  Pierce hit the other big pull up jumper shortly after to put us up one, got fouled on a rebound and hit one of two to put us up two.

Terry has turned it around without Rondo.