Author Topic: We need Size::We need Gasol  (Read 13913 times)

We need Size::We need Gasol
« on: January 22, 2013, 09:58:16 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
Desperate times call for desperate measures. They actually played pretty hard tonight, and stiil lost to the Cavs.

Losing to a 10-32 Verajao-less Cavs team after being blown out a second time by a poor Detroit team, I think qualifies as desperate times.

Time to do somthing drastic: trade the Captain for Gasol, or in other words, Paul for Pau.

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=aafkwm6

Last night there was a thread on trading Rondo for Gasol.

I'd rather give them Pierce than Rondo,though, because we could dump Bass on them and get some nice peices back in addition to all that Gasol brings: inside-out game, great passing,excellent pick and roll or pick and pop, rebounding, blocking shots

Gasol's value to the Lakers and in trade is at an all time low for 3 reasons:

1.Gasol's sporadic play this year due to injury
2. Gasol being relegated to the bench and deeply in D'Antoni's doghouse
3. the $$$ he is owed this year and next

Pierce's contract is far more valuable to the Lakers, and Pierce is a huge haul (hometown boy, championship pedigree, etc).

That's why the Lakers would be forced to swallow Bass and give us some decent pieces in return.

Lakers get PP, BB

Celtics get Gasol, Earl Clark, Jordan Hill (injured) and Sacre

Now we are a lot bigger and younger, and we get to keep all the younguns.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2013, 10:06:30 PM by csfansince60s »

Re: We need Size::We need Gasol
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2013, 10:10:13 PM »

Offline Mazingerz

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 99
No we don't. I'd rather we tank this season than trade PP (!) to the lakers.

Once PP and KG are off the books we can start reloading. This is only 1 year. Better that we do it now than to continue to be mediocre 7th or 8th seed team and lose in the 1st round again.

Peavey Bass Player - relearning to play after 10 years sucks;

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2013, 10:12:47 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1469
I would rather tank this year than take on Gasol's salary.
We need young fresh talent to build around.  We aren't 1 player away from taking out Miami.  We are a few players away from that.  Signing Gasol is just a poor use of our cap space.

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2013, 10:18:35 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
Love KG and PP , but this Celtics team is dying a SLOW DEATH by old age. 

The younger atheltic players that have come in recently are just overwhelming the older guys ON ALL the TEAMS.

The older guys can stillshoot and pass, but can't play defense for the required minutes to shut down all the young er talent.

I think ROckets and everybody were seeing this, and dumping all the older players and loading up with younger draft picks..... its become a YOUNGER LEAGUE

Gasol would help for a year or two , but he is getting OUT paced and out played by the super quick guys under 27 years old. ANother two years he'll play like JO NEAL/

Too many YOUNG super good players in the league to have a old slow vet squad now.

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2013, 10:27:20 PM »

Offline D Dub

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
Gasol hasn't blocked a shot or taken a charge since the Olympics.  no thanks

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2013, 10:28:01 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Yep, I am all behind a Pierce for Pau swap deal.

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2013, 10:29:21 PM »

Offline ScottHow

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 354
  • It's what I do! It's who I am!
Desperate time call for blowing it up, not putting a bandaid on a dead horse.

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2013, 10:36:20 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas

The younger atheltic players that have come in recently are just overwhelming the older guys ON ALL the TEAMS.

The older guys can stillshoot and pass, but can't play defense for the required minutes to shut down all the young er talent.

I think ROckets and everybody were seeing this, and dumping all the older players and loading up with younger draft picks..... its become a YOUNGER LEAGUE

Gasol would help for a year or two , but he is getting OUT paced and out played by the super quick guys under 27 years old. ANother two years he'll play like JO NEAL/
Too many YOUNG super good players in the league to have a old slow vet squad now.

I agree with you SHAQ about all that you said here. The league is getting younger, and we have to too, and we would with this trade. While Gasol is the centerpiece, Earl Clark and Jordan Hill (for next year when he gets healthy)do that for us and Sacre is a project, but young too.

I think the point you make (underlined) is also very true: Gasol may be good for this year and next, but even if he slides badly next year, he is a huge expiring that we can do a lot with.

I think that a frontcourt of Gasol/Garnett would be pretty formidable and versatile, both offensively and defensively.

This team needs to be shaken to its core.

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2013, 10:36:39 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Gasol would be a massive upgrade on this team.  He's supremely underrated right now... especially on this forum.  Getting a 7 foot allstar who is several years younger than KG would be nothing but incredible news.  Unfortunately, it'll never happen.  We don't have the assets.  Just not happening.

Also, if you're just now starting to panic, you apparently didn't analyze this roster very well prior to the season.  Nothing that is currently happening is even mildy surprising.  We're a mediocre team without a legit big next to KG... it's been that way since Shaq hobbled off the court. 

Getting Gasol wouldn't be a "bandaid"... it would fix the thing that has plagued us since we stopped being a legit contender.  Unfortunately, it's not even remotely likely it will happen. 

« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2013, 10:37:07 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
right now I'm praying to Jesus for Fab Melo to be great player for the Celtics...

despert times call for despert measures.... ::)

practice all night and day Fab...!!!   ;D

« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2013, 10:38:45 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
right now I'm praying to Jesus for Fab Melo to be great player for the Celtics...

despert times call for despert measures.... ::)

practice all night and day Fab...!!!   ;D
You're better off praying to Jesus for Greg Oden to sign with Boston and then miraculously start playing before the end of this season.  It's more likely to happen than Fab Melo turning into a player anytime soon. 

« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2013, 10:42:09 PM »

Offline ScottHow

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 354
  • It's what I do! It's who I am!
Gasol would be a massive upgrade on this team.  He's supremely underrated right now... especially on this forum.  Getting a 7 foot allstar who is several years younger than KG would be nothing but incredible news.  Unfortunately, it'll never happen.  We don't have the assets.  Just not happening.

Also, if you're just now starting to panic, you apparently didn't analyze this roster very well prior to the season.  Nothing that is currently happening is even mildy surprising.  We're a mediocre team without a legit big next to KG... it's been that way since Shaq hobbled off the court. 

Getting Gasol wouldn't be a "bandaid"... it would fix the thing that has plagued us since we stopped being a legit contender.  Unfortunately, it's not even remotely likely it will happen.

I didn't just realize this isn't going to work, I wanted to blow it up last year and in the offseason.

« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2013, 10:45:03 PM »

Offline Boston Garden Leprechaun

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1550

I agree with you SHAQ about all that you said here. The league is getting younger, and we have to too, and we would with this trade. While Gasol is the centerpiece, Earl Clark and Jordan Hill (for next year when he gets healthy)do that for us and Sacre is a project, but young too.

I think the point you make (underlined) is also very true: Gasol may be good for this year and next, but even if he slides badly next year, he is a huge expiring that we can do a lot with.

I think that a frontcourt of Gasol/Garnett would be pretty formidable and versatile, both offensively and defensively.

This team needs to be shaken to its core.

yep. that is OBVIOUS now. DOC has lost this team it seems. They are not responding to his babbling in the media now.
LET'S GO CELTICS!

« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2013, 10:47:36 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas

But a defibrillator (the shock of Pierce for Pau) could work better than a bandaid on a horse that looks dead. That could spark us.

If that doesn't work, blow it up in the offseason and trade Gasol at the deadline with a ton of value for a huge expiring.

« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2013, 10:48:51 PM »

Offline Boston Garden Leprechaun

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1550

But a defibrillator (the shock of Pierce for Pau) could work better than a bandaid on a horse that looks dead. That could spark us.

If that doesn't work, blow it up in the offseason and trade Gasol at the deadline with a ton of value for a huge expiring.

bingo. if it fails dump everyone then.
LET'S GO CELTICS!