Author Topic: Mayo says he didn't kill the trade last year, c's players did?  (Read 8317 times)

Re: Mayo says he didn't kill the trade last year, c's players did?
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2012, 10:50:01 AM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
Danny is smart.  One day in the future we'll be a rebuilding team and it'll be more important than ever to be seen as a team who keeps their players happy.

I am not following you. The priority of any GM should be to put the best team on the court, not "rebuilding" and not trying to keep smiles on the players faces.

« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2012, 10:51:11 AM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
Makes sense. Always had a tough time believing Mayo squashed the deal. Never stood right with me. So I believe him when he says it wasn't him that stopped the deal.

Anyway, OJ Mayo is no loss. Danny got the superior player in Jason Terry this summer.

Hmmm, don't agree with that. I like Terry but he's a hit or miss player and somewhat one-dimensional (as in a spot-up shooter.) OJ is alot more versatile than that.

« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2012, 10:55:38 AM »

Offline Brendan

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 72
Makes sense. Always had a tough time believing Mayo squashed the deal. Never stood right with me. So I believe him when he says it wasn't him that stopped the deal.

Anyway, OJ Mayo is no loss. Danny got the superior player in Jason Terry this summer.

I thought that too coming into the season - and I'm sure utilization is helping Mayo look better and Terry is adjusting to a different situation, but I'm not loving Terry so far. I don't think Mayo over RA makes a huge difference in last year's playoffs - not sure he could be fully integrated after a mid season trade.

Let's say that instead of Terry and Lee - Danny spends the MLE on a big man. Signs Pietrus (or Barbosa or both) to help hold down the fort until AB is back. I think that's at least as good as a roster as now, maybe better.

In terms of why KG is so mad at Ray Allen - here's my speculation:

1. Ray finds out through agent he's going to be traded for Mayo
2. Ray tells KG and Pierce
3. KG goes to bat for Ray
4. Doc gets squeamish about trade b/c of KG
5. Danny backs out of trade b/c of KG and Doc
6. Ray leaves in offseason despite same role and bigger money & years with C's
7. KG never talks to Ray again

I cannot see Pierce caring so much about losing a team mate - but I might be wrong.

« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2012, 10:57:45 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Who is the MLE big man is the question.

« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2012, 10:59:01 AM »

Offline Brendan

• Jim Loscutoff
Danny is smart.  One day in the future we'll be a rebuilding team and it'll be more important than ever to be seen as a team who keeps their players happy.

I am not following you. The priority of any GM should be to put the best team on the court, not "rebuilding" and not trying to keep smiles on the players faces.
I don't think Ray vs Mayo is a huge difference in last year's playoffs personally. Mayo better player at that point, but Ray knew system.

I think his point is long term getting FAs depends on players liking the team management. This leads to a good team on floor. I think GM job is to balance best team in any given year versus long term health within ownerships budget constraints. That's not the same as putting best team on the floor.

Just a hypothetical - what if trading Ray mid season -> KG leaving in offseason?

« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2012, 10:59:29 AM »

Offline Brendan

• Jim Loscutoff
Good question. I hadn't got that far, Camby?

« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2012, 10:59:45 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401

Hmmm, don't agree with that. I like Terry but he's a hit or miss player and somewhat one-dimensional (as in a spot-up shooter.) OJ is alot more versatile than that.

Jason Terry isn't a one dimensional offensive player. It just seems that way because of how he is being used here in Boston. Terry is a very capable ball-handler, shot-creator and secondary playmaker. Everything is running through Rondo or Pierce so Terry isn't getting the opportunities to show his full repertoire of offensive talents.

Both Terry and Mayo are very similar offensively in their range of skills offensively. Ball-handling, passing, different types of shots they are capable of making. 

Terry, however, is (1) one of the finest shooters in the league, better than Mayo (2) more consistent / reliable than Mayo (3) more adept at playing off the bench (4) has a much better track record of clutch performances and in big games.

Mayo is a better defender/rebounder than Terry but Mayo is still not good enough defensively to be a quality starting two guard in the league.

« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2012, 11:00:59 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

While I agree about that, I think Terry's ability and willingness to be a secondary player, and step up when needed, really makes him a better fit for the C's, even if he is not as good an overall player.

Mayo really needs to have the ball in his hands to be really effective, while Terry can play off it a little better. 

That's exactly how I think it went down too. 

« Reply #23 on: December 13, 2012, 11:01:13 AM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196

Kaman, Camby, Robin Lopez off the top of my head, we would hat got a 1st rnd pick also.

« Reply #24 on: December 13, 2012, 11:01:16 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

I cannot see Pierce caring so much about losing a team mate - but I might be wrong.

I think this could well be accurate, except I think Pierce might've had something to say about it too.  But KG would've been the guy to really push back against it.

« Reply #25 on: December 13, 2012, 11:01:44 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

Then we dodged a bullet, because Camby has been useless so far this year, and the Knicks paid him a LOT of money. 

« Reply #26 on: December 13, 2012, 11:03:10 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
Camby, Lavoy Allen, and Greg Stiemsma are the three names I've seen so far that MLE money would have landed easily enough.

I'll take Terry over those three, I'm still looking if I missed someone.

« Reply #27 on: December 13, 2012, 11:04:17 AM »

Offline Brendan

• Jim Loscutoff

Then we dodged a bullet, because Camby has been useless so far this year, and the Knicks paid him a LOT of money.
Kaman or Lopez?

Or just not spend the MLE. Save it for buyouts.

« Reply #28 on: December 13, 2012, 11:04:28 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
I'd rate Carl Landry and Kwame Brown as the two best available MLE big men.

« Reply #29 on: December 13, 2012, 11:04:45 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
Camby, Lavoy Allen, and Greg Stiemsma are the three names I've seen so far that MLE money would have landed easily enough.

I'll take Terry over those three, I'm still looking if I missed someone.
Add Kwame Brown to that list, he got 2 years 5 million with second year being a player option from Philly.