Author Topic: First Take Durant, Bird discussion...huh  (Read 5187 times)

First Take Durant, Bird discussion...huh
« on: December 07, 2012, 02:56:09 PM »

Offline ianboyextreme

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 81
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_NyTs-Njypk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DeUi8nHd3Vk

Listen to the moderator as she introduces says Larry's name- "Larry Bird guys......".

What the *$&# is going on?

Is Larry Bird not universally accepted as a top 5 player of all time? The most complete player to ever play?

Oh right I remember........hes white. The media doesnt compare players to other players unless they are of the same race. Its actually racism.

Its sad seeing this is even being discussed as a strange comparison.

Re: First Take Durant, Bird discussion...huh
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2012, 03:01:17 PM »

Offline lightspeed5

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 283
what athleticism is stephen a. smith referring to for durant? durant couldnt even bench press anything at the combine last time i checked.

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2012, 03:04:59 PM »

Offline DarkAzcura

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 100
what athleticism is stephen a. smith referring to for durant? durant couldnt even bench press anything at the combine last time i checked.

To be fair, I've never seen someone improve their athleticism as much as Durant has since he joined the league.

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2012, 04:18:19 PM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448

Athleticism doesn't mean strength.

Durant is weak but is very athletic.  I don't think there has ever been a player that tall that has moved that well.

Regarding Bird, the popular opinion of NBA players will never consider defense much even though it is half the game so Bird will always be underrated.  Just like Russell is.  Just like how Nowitzki was compared to Bird after the title. 

It's ridiculous and it did bother me for a while but I've gotten over it.  Who cares what they say, we will know.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2012, 04:33:42 PM by Snakehead »
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2012, 04:37:57 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
I'm not exactly sure what the complaint with the videos is here.  Smith and Skip both had very high praise of Bird and both said he was great and that Durant was similar.  Rob is just a race monger, who brings it to everything he does.  He can just be ignored and even with his race mongering, it wasn't like he said anything bad about Bird. 

Of all the things to get upset about this thread is just ridiculous.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2012, 04:46:59 PM »

Offline staticcc

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 38
Skip and Stephen A actually made good points and saw the comparison. Rob Parker on the other hand, just plain sucks. He was complaining when Cam Newton was only compared to failed black QBs and asked why Cam can't be compared to white QBs. Now that Durant is compared to Bird, he's not okay with it too?! Come on!
"The bigger the lie, the more they believe." - Bunk

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2012, 04:56:00 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Bird was a better passer, rebounder, and defender.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2012, 05:23:29 PM »

Offline sahara

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 84

Athleticism doesn't mean strength.

Preach. Back in the day as a very skinny teenager i could outrun everybody on the court and dunk with ease while I was 187cm/68kg and couldn´t manage a single pull-up, let alone do a bench press with my own weight. Strength matters under the boards, not so much if you´re finesse type of a player.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2012, 05:29:47 PM by sahara »

« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2012, 05:28:36 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
Bird was a better passer, rebounder, and defender.

Exactly.

Come back and talk to us, KD, once you've won at least 3 Second Team NBA defensive awards - like Larry.

I agree with most of Stephen A's points, though - KD "can" become like Larry. He's got a great role model to look up to, there.

« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2012, 05:38:27 PM »

Offline quidinqui33

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 71
The reason this was a topic is because the other day, there was a sporting news article where Durant said that he tries to model his game after Larry.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nba/thunder/2012/12/05/kevin-durant-game-is-evolving-and-so-is-his-marketability/1748853/

Here is the quote:

""Larry Bird is a guy I like watching," Durant said with a smile. "I watch film on him all the time. I like his approach to the game when he was playing. When I first started playing the game, my Godfather Taras Brown – who taught me how to play – he always was a Larry Bird guy, always used to look up his stats. Brown, nicknamed "Stink" was a trainer at a local gym, Seat Pleasant Recreation Center, just outside of Washington, D.C. where Durant grew up and was his coach there.

"So of course as I got older and started to watch NBATV, Legends games, and of course you here the stories about the rivalries with him and the Lakers and him and Magic, so I like his competitiveness, how low-maintenance he was, how he just went out there and did his job. He played hard. He played for the love of the game, and that's what I've got."

What he doesn't have and so badly wants, however, is a 50-40-90 season like Bird had in the 1986-87 and 1987-88 seasons – 50% from the field, 40% from three-point range and 90% from the line. It has only been done 11 times by players who played the large majority of the season, with Dallas' Dirk Nowitzki the last small forward to do it, in 2006-07, and Lakers point guard Steve Nash has done it four times.

It's the sort of goal that makes the grind of an 82-game season more manageable, the kind of statistical pursuit that both motivates him individually and raises the bar collectively. Sustained excellence requires projects such as these.

"That's something I want do, something I'm chasing," he admitted. "That's being efficient, taking good shots, taking what the defense gives you, not forcing…That's what I want to do. I just want to grow in that area."

Not sure why people are so fired up about the fact that Skip and Stephen A are discussing this...it's what they do and it is because Durant likes Bird's game.  All good things.

« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2012, 06:02:03 PM »

Offline sahara

• Jayson Tatum
The race thing was totally uncalled for, I am a white dude from northern europe and most of my so-called "idols" are black, does that make a "wigga"? I couldn´t care less what the so-called analysts from ESPN think.

"Oh KD likes the game of a whiteboy? I guess he ain´t black enough"

Disgusting.

« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2012, 06:06:30 PM »

Offline scaryjerry

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 175
I saw this and brought it up in another thread....most embarrassing thing ever on first take...which is saying a ton..

Rob Parker specifically is a disaster

« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2012, 06:13:15 PM »

Offline sahara

• Jayson Tatum
For the first time ever I was rooting for Stephen A. to be even more LOUDER!

« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2012, 06:13:43 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
The race thing was totally uncalled for, I am a white dude from northern europe and most of my so-called "idols" are black, does that make a "wigga"? I couldn´t care less what the so-called analysts from ESPN think.

Disgusting.

Yeah, I missed that at first, lol.

Funny thing is that ALL of the black barbershops I used to attend gave Larry MAD props.

I think that, eventually, Larry's game ended up transcending race. I think people started to realize that you just couldn't pidgeon-hole Larry into some category. He was THAT good.

If Kevin Durant TRULY models his game after Larry, he will be even more special than he already is.

Just make your teammates better, KD...make them better. If he does that, then he'll be Larry-like.

« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2012, 06:18:03 PM »

Offline sahara

• Jayson Tatum

Disgusting.

Yeah, I missed that at first, lol.

Funny thing is that ALL of the black barbershops I used to attend gave Larry MAD props.

I think that, eventually, Larry's game ended up transcending race. I think people started to realize that you just couldn't pidgeon-hole Larry into some category. He was THAT good.

If Kevin Durant TRULY models his game after Larry, he will be even more special than he already is.

Just make your teammates better, KD...make them better. If he does that, then he'll be Larry-like.

He will make his team mates EVEN better once he will get a chance without Westbrook!  Imagine Durant+Rondo?