Author Topic: Mike Brown fired  (Read 14868 times)

Re: Mike Brown fired
« Reply #105 on: November 12, 2012, 03:08:09 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Mike Bresnahan (LA Times) is tweeting that Mike D'Antoni is the Lakers new head coach.

Source: Mike D'Antoni will be the next coach of the Lakers. Not Phil Jackson.

Mike D'Antoni signed a four-year deal with the Lakers. Phil Jackson was "asking for the moon," accoring to source familiar w/ the situation.

Waiting for another reporter to confirm this story.

Update: Marc Spears has confirmation

Lakers hire coach Mike D'Antoni, according to source.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2012, 03:17:44 AM by Who »

« Reply #106 on: November 12, 2012, 03:34:37 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Oh god no... this is frightening ... with the talent that team has, they are about to start scoring 180 points a night.  I can grasp at straws and say their defense will be trash, but having the best defensive player in the league (Dwight) is going to help a lot.  If they end up trading Pau for Josh Smith, it might get even nastier over there.

The Triangle isnt' really made for Nash... but D'Antoni is going to let these guys go to town... it's going to be nuts. 

« Reply #107 on: November 12, 2012, 03:40:18 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Jerry Buss: "Our team is old and slow, and to start the season they've been shockingly bad on defense."

Mitch Kupchak: "I know! Let's hire Mike D'Antoni!"
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #108 on: November 12, 2012, 04:29:23 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Jerry Buss: "Our team is old and slow, and to start the season they've been shockingly bad on defense."

I think we can all just cross our fingers that D'Antoni gives Nash the reigns and Kobe gets flustered... hopefully the whole thing implodes.  Because as of right now... that team is scary as heck on paper.

« Reply #109 on: November 12, 2012, 04:35:35 AM »

Offline Josh88

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 11
I was ecstatic to read that report, I really thought Phil was a lock to return. D'Antoni is easily the most overrated coach of the last decade, the guy is a joke. I can't wait to watch this disaster unfold.

« Reply #110 on: November 12, 2012, 05:10:53 AM »

Offline ACF

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1157
  • A Celtic Fan

LOL

« Reply #111 on: November 12, 2012, 05:15:09 AM »

Offline ACF

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1157
  • A Celtic Fan
Who's Mike Brown?
And why is there seven pages on him?

To save us from 26 pages on He Whom We Shall Not Name Allen?  ;)

But, seriously, LA? You fired Mike Brown and hired D'Antoni? You fired Mike Brown and hired... Mike D'Antoni?!?! Holy cow... Now, where's the popcorn at?

« Reply #112 on: November 12, 2012, 05:36:47 AM »

Offline bfrombleacher

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 367
If they really wanted their franchise to fail, they could have just signed me or any other Celtic fan. I'd do it for a tenth of the money. I'd do a great job of wrecking their team and do it with all my heart.

« Reply #113 on: November 12, 2012, 06:09:03 AM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
Well, it's official:

Lakers hire D'Antoni:

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/story/_/id/8622773/mike-dantoni-hired-next-coach-los-angeles-lakers

This probably deserves its own thread, but I'm short on time.

lol..."No D'efense D'Antoni"....

I bet Kobe is fuming over this.

Good! ;D

« Reply #114 on: November 12, 2012, 09:37:41 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
There is a God !!!! Yes ...Jackson was too big of Diva himself , even for the Buss's ...hee hee hee ....
Oh the Lakers fans, Magic, Kobe , West , all the Laker will be crying and whining....

So close but Denied.... HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA ;D

« Reply #115 on: November 12, 2012, 09:48:36 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
Oh god no... this is frightening ... with the talent that team has, they are about to start scoring 180 points a night.  I can grasp at straws and say their defense will be trash, but having the best defensive player in the league (Dwight) is going to help a lot.  If they end up trading Pau for Josh Smith, it might get even nastier over there.

The Triangle isnt' really made for Nash... but D'Antoni is going to let these guys go to town... it's going to be nuts.

Exactly.  And the whole old and slow thing is a bit of a misnomer.  First off, D'Antoni's system isn't based on sprinting, it is based on running as a team and spreading the floor to run pick and rolls.  You don't need a track team to run the fast break.

And this team does have some young legs as well, who were pretty useless in the Princeton offense, but may be good fits in D'Antoni's system.  Ebanks, Earl Clark, Darius Morris can all run the floor.  And I don't expect them to stand pat on their roster either.  Gasol is still a very valuable piece.

« Reply #116 on: November 12, 2012, 10:33:00 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

Exactly.  And the whole old and slow thing is a bit of a misnomer.  First off, D'Antoni's system isn't based on sprinting, it is based on running as a team and spreading the floor to run pick and rolls.  You don't need a track team to run the fast break.

And this team does have some young legs as well, who were pretty useless in the Princeton offense, but may be good fits in D'Antoni's system.  Ebanks, Earl Clark, Darius Morris can all run the floor.  And I don't expect them to stand pat on their roster either.  Gasol is still a very valuable piece.

D'Antoni's offense may not be predicated on sprinting, per se, but one thing it is based on is shooting -- something that Lakers lack right now big time. 

I think the Lakers need to move Pau if they want to get the roster right for D'Antoni's system.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #117 on: November 12, 2012, 10:38:11 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

D'Antoni's offense may not be predicated on sprinting, per se, but one thing it is based on is shooting -- something that Lakers lack right now big time. 

I think the Lakers need to move Pau if they want to get the roster right for D'Antoni's system.

This I agree with.  Although I think their shooting will improve.  They have quality shooters in Kobe, Nash, Blake, Meeks, Jamison, Gasol, and Morris.  Its just a matter of using them the right way, and getting them open shots.

I agree though that moving Pau makes the most sense now.  Pau works in the system, but they can probably get more value of guys who work even better by trading him.

One guy to watch closely though, is Jamison.  He was made for this system.  He is a very good shooter for a PF, who can really work the pick and roll.  And just last year he was scoring 17 points per game. 

« Reply #118 on: November 12, 2012, 10:49:20 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
D'antoni is a disater hiring. A victory via the ego of Jim Buss . ;D

The Laker Nation  is already discussing a  "FIRE D'antoni thread"  Laughing my self silly.

Lakers faithful want the guy fired and he hasn't sit foot in the locker room or coached one game yet.

Lakers media is in disarray and crying like crazy.

Jim Buss distrusts Phil JAckson ......  maybe cause ol ;D Phil was sneaking around with his sister???? HAA!!  TOO funny ;D    So he shows everybody who is running the ship and hires D'antoni.....thank you Jim Buss.!!!!Jim for President!!!

Oh.... D'antoni will be fired in 4 months anyway .  But , in 4 months it'll be TOO LATE for Jackson to save their tails this year.

Lakers deserve all this mess , they had a good coach in Brown.

Seriously... the LAKERs ARE TOO OLD to play D'antoni's run and gun.

PLus do you think Kobe is gonna like D'antoni's offensive scheme 's allows everybody to chuck up as many shots as they want... this takes away KOBE's ball hogging , and he'll NEVER trust his team mates to pass ( cause now they have the green light to shoot )when ever they want.  He won't pass to them and they won't pass to Kobe /other than Nash and Gasol.

Other than Nash and Kobe , lakers don't have enought good shooters to play D'antoni's offense either.

Pau and Howard are crowded inside now.

Spurs and OKC are licking their chops

« Last Edit: November 12, 2012, 10:54:23 AM by SHAQATTACK »