Author Topic: Courtney Lee.. expendable?  (Read 6563 times)

Re: Courtney Lee.. expendable?
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2012, 07:52:53 AM »

Offline billysan

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 178
At this stage of their careers, Courtney Lee is the better offensive player than Avery Bradley. Bradley is likely the better defensive player but with a small sample size.

Keep in mind that one of the issues with Barbosa is that he is streaky and inconsistent according to some people, this is why he has always been a bench player despite his immense talent and athletic ability.

LIKELY the better defensive player?  That's like saying Rondo is likely a better playmaker than Jason Terry.  There is no comparison.
I think Bradley and Lee are about even on the defensive end, but that's just me.

Bradley healthy brings another element Lee does not. Motor, athleticism, they looked like they outweighed any skill advantage Lee had defensively. The biggest worry is the small sample size.

This was the point, he was excellent against PG and smaller SG for a 'small sample size'. We need to get him back healthy before we declare him as the better player. What he used to do has no value if he cant reproduce it post injury.

He may be just fine when he gets back or he may have limited motion in his upper body by comparison. Courtney Lee certainly doesnt have his footspeed but he has a greater reach than Bradley. Both have good hands and instincts from what we have seen. Just different players.

I actually look forward to seeing them on the court together as complimentary players.
"First fix their hearts" -Eizo Shimabuku

« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2012, 08:03:35 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
Danny will probably keep Lee over Bradley because he's most likely a better scorer and he has better size to guard wing players. Avery can guard the elite PG's like Rose and Chris Paul or Nash, but they aren't guys we have to worry about in the Eastern conference for the most part, and we have Rondo to take care of them if we do play them.

It's most likely (in my opinion) that Bradley is getting traded while his reputation is still hot. He's just perfect in a trade to acquire a superstar or all star- meaning he looks like he could be an all star or legit starter in the NBA but probably doesn't have the size to become and elite 2, nor the handles to become an elite one.
Perhaps a Jason Terry at best- and that will never get us banner 18.
Best trade him while he's worth the most and get someone like Josh Smith or Verajao back that gives us a legit shot at banner 18.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2012, 08:14:20 AM by chambers »
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2012, 08:44:38 AM »

Offline scaryjerry

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 175
If Avery comes back and plays like he did last year, yes hes better...period

« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2012, 10:29:41 AM »

Offline thirstyboots18

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 2584
I am hoping for the best for AB, but I think it all depends not just on "when" ha comes back, but "how" he comes back.   Shoulders can be sketchy and prone to reinjury.
Yesterday is history.
Tomorrow is a mystery.
Today is a gift...
   That is why it is called the present.
Visit the CelticsBlog Live Game Chat!

« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2012, 11:56:52 AM »

Offline TA9

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 118
  • I Bleed Green
We have too many guards on our team. What we need to improve is our rebounding, we are getting killed on the boards. Wouldnt mind sending Bass and Lee to ATL for J Smoove.
Jack of all trades, master of none.

« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2012, 12:01:38 PM »

Offline CelticHooligan3

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 130
How many games have we played? That's right...

o

« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2012, 12:18:37 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885

People forget that Avery had 14 good games last year out of 66.

« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2012, 12:34:43 PM »

Offline BostonNative

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 14
can we all just admit that we overrated our team 0_o

« Reply #23 on: November 03, 2012, 12:40:10 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Btw. It's only two game and he's only averaging 9 points but lee is shooting 62% from the field.

« Reply #24 on: November 03, 2012, 12:43:18 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
Based solely on his rookie season, I would be willing to declare Bradley a better defender than Lee.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #25 on: November 03, 2012, 12:44:24 PM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 385
Too early for all of this. 

But sure, someone of the guards will inevitably be expendable when/if everyone's healthy. 

Though here's something to consider: if we believe Lee that he took less money to come to the C's than other teams were offering, does it set a bad precedent to trade him away?  Will this deter other players from doing the same, since they could be taking less money to end up playing somewhere they didn't want to play to begin with?   

Now I don't personally believe that other teams were offering Lee more, so maybe it doesn't matter.  But it is something to consider. 

« Reply #26 on: November 03, 2012, 12:58:48 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
If it becomes obvious that Lee is a bad fit for the team or if the team is struggling on a 40-45 win trajectory and seems in need of a change, I don't think it will make a difference.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #27 on: November 03, 2012, 01:34:59 PM »

Offline jr_3421

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 81
Just my opinion but I think Lee is going to look a lot better coming off the bench when Bradley gets back. Rondo and Bradley have a weird chemistry offensively and defensively. Lee is great defender but Bradley is disruptive.
"In the 4th quarter I'm whole different player"

-Paul Pierce

« Reply #28 on: November 03, 2012, 01:40:40 PM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 359

People forget that Avery had 14 good games last year out of 66.

he really had alot more good games than just 14....fans are starting to really underrate the guy as if he did nothing

it started with when Rondo was injured he began to show his defensive prowness...players around the league already respect him defensively...and he was great in that aspect through when he had to be pulled in the 76ers series

now offensively, he only really came on for the last 20 games or so when he was thrust into the starting lineup..but what fans forget is bradley was known as a GOOD offensive player in college...it should come as no suprise that he can shoot/drive to the hoop

« Reply #29 on: November 03, 2012, 02:23:07 PM »

Offline Yogi

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 255
   I've enjoyed watching the games.  We're going to be very good.  Do you guys think it's easy to build a winning team?  Our problems are based on execution.  The more we play the better we will get.  Meanwhile we have all the ingredients.  I'm loving the improved rebounding and confidence of Bass.  Barbosa, Lee and Green fast-breaks.  Rondo's scoring mode.  Terry's shot-making.  KG's getting in rhythm. 
   Worried a little about Paul... I hope he didn't hurt himself in Miami.  He should sit tonight.  I am NOT worried about our defense.  As god-awful as it's been, you can see pieces and stretches of a more active and lock-down defense brewing.  Rondo is very frustrated with the guys but they're getting better.
CelticsBlog DKC Pelicans
J. Lin/I. Canaan/N. Wolters
E. Gordon/A. Shved
N. Batum/A. Roberson
A. Davis/K. Olynyk/M. Scott
D. Cousins/A. Baynes/V. Faverani
Rights: A. Abrines, R. Neto, L. Jean-Charles  Coach: M. Williams