Author Topic: jeff green vs josh smith  (Read 14028 times)

Re: jeff green vs josh smith
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2012, 11:54:18 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
If Josh Smith had better shot selection this would not be an issue.  He is superior numerically in every other and in physical ability.   Some here have drank too much green kool-aid.

« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2012, 11:55:25 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
With Atlanta, I wait until Hortford gets tired and demands a trade. 

Then I offer Green, Melo, 1st round picks.....

Basically a package of players that do not include KG, Rondo and Pierce.  (not everyone mind you)

« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2012, 11:56:31 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
I'm good with Jeff Green.(FOR NOW), he deserves a chance , and I think he will produce.

Butttttttttttttttt... 

Seems like if Jeff Green is going to be a Celtic as touted, then what in the world could be taking so long to get him officially on the team .

SURELY somebody know whats going on ?   Why is it such a military secret.  What could be so bad that , it can't be discussed or reported. ???

Everyday that he doesn't sign , the more odd the situation seems.

and the more I wish J Smith was in Boston in stead of Green.

But it HAS been discussed and reported.  It is contract fine print.  Whether anyone knows exactly what the fine print is, I am not even sure they would write an article about it, since it would bore the majority of fans.

The problem is, no one wants to take the GM and agent at their word, and assume a conspiracy.

Look at it this way, if there really were any chance he isn't going to sign, the agent would be risking his reputation and career by not shopping him to other teams before there is no money left. 

« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2012, 12:42:26 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1562
With Atlanta, I wait until Hortford gets tired and demands a trade. 

Then I offer Green, Melo, 1st round picks.....

Basically a package of players that do not include KG, Rondo and Pierce.  (not everyone mind you)
In the Smith thread in trade ideas, I proposed the following and still think it is a pretty solid trade for both teams

Smith

for

Bass, Sullinger, Bradley or 2013 1st & 2nd (at the time we hadn't traded for Lee so we still had 2 2nds, so I would alter that to 2013 1st (unprotected) and 2015 1st (lottery protected)).
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2012, 12:47:11 PM »

Offline CelticG1

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 288
I'm good with Jeff Green.(FOR NOW), he deserves a chance , and I think he will produce.

Butttttttttttttttt... 

Seems like if Jeff Green is going to be a Celtic as touted, then what in the world could be taking so long to get him officially on the team .

SURELY somebody know whats going on ?   Why is it such a military secret.  What could be so bad that , it can't be discussed or reported. ???

But it HAS been discussed and reported.  It is contract fine print.  Whether anyone knows exactly what the fine print is, I am not even sure they would write an article about it, since it would bore the majority of fans.

The problem is, no one wants to take the GM and agent at their word, and assume a conspiracy.

Look at it this way, if there really were any chance he isn't going to sign, the agent would be risking his reputation and career by not shopping him to other teams before there is no money left.

Im just confused that the fine print takes weeks to get worked out and it is THAT major an issue that they just can't agree with it.

I also find it bizarre that neither side seems to be worried about it even though it clearly is an issue that they are having trouble agreeing on.

Its really odd. I've never heard/seen anything like this before

« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2012, 12:54:16 PM »

Offline CelticG1

• Antoine Walker
Im not a huge fan of Smith as a cornerstone of a team. He basically was the 3rd banana on those hawks teams for the last few years and they didn't get anywhere.

I mean I like him and would take him but not for type of money he will make.

Id rather have green as a 5th or so scoring option than Smith as a 3rd.

I just don't see what evidence there is for Smith to be one of those big 3 type players. He can make an impact defensively but as far as scoring im sure if you substitute green in for the hawks the last few years that he would generate similar scoring
Except that he didn't.  When Green was the clear third scoring option in Oklahoma City he produced no where near the level of Josh Smith.  Every single season Josh Smith has played in the last 6 years has been better than any single season in Jeff Green's career and they are only a year apart in age. 

Josh Smith is a far superior player to Jeff Green.  It isn't close.  In fact I will make the argument that the only thing Green is better at is outside shooting (and it isn't like Green is Ray Allen from behind the arc).  That's it.  Smith is a better all around scorer, better rebounder, better passer, far better defender (in all aspects).

I said similar production. Also I hate comparing that type of stuff so black and white. They had different teams, different coaches, different plays, different zip codes. You don't just swap there teams and say the production would be identical.

J Smith is def a better player more valuable. But I wouldn't want him as a 3rd option that's all im saying. Green is like a 5th 6thor option for us right now. If they were taking the same.money id take Smith.

If J smith is your top 3 I just don't think you are gonna get far and I think that's the type of money he is going to get paid.

« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2012, 12:56:16 PM »

Offline FatjohnReturns

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 120

Butttttttttttttttt... 

Unless he is not healthy. Then his agent wouldnt be saying anything. My guess is there has been another red flag with the heart and they are buying time and running more tests

« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2012, 12:56:46 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 890
I just can't convince myself that over the next four years, it is absolutely certain that Smith will play way better than Green.  I admit that Smith has the better resume to date but not by all that much.

Smith career 15 pts/8 rebs, Green career 14/6

My sense is that Green still has upside, Smith probably not.

I don't think we need Smith.  I am happy with Green.

« Reply #23 on: August 17, 2012, 12:57:13 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
Im not a huge fan of Smith as a cornerstone of a team. He basically was the 3rd banana on those hawks teams for the last few years and they didn't get anywhere.

I just don't see what evidence there is for Smith to be one of those big 3 type players. He can make an impact defensively but as far as scoring im sure if you substitute green in for the hawks the last few years that he would generate similar scoring
Except that he didn't.  When Green was the clear third scoring option in Oklahoma City he produced no where near the level of Josh Smith.  Every single season Josh Smith has played in the last 6 years has been better than any single season in Jeff Green's career and they are only a year apart in age. 

Josh Smith is a far superior player to Jeff Green.  It isn't close.  In fact I will make the argument that the only thing Green is better at is outside shooting (and it isn't like Green is Ray Allen from behind the arc).  That's it.  Smith is a better all around scorer, better rebounder, better passer, far better defender (in all aspects).

I said similar production. Also I hate comparing that type of stuff so black and white. They had different teams, different coaches, different plays, different zip codes. You don't just swap there teams and say the production would be identical.

J Smith is def a better player more valuable. But I wouldn't want him as a 3rd option that's all im saying. Green is like a 5th 6thor option for us right now. If they were taking the same.money id take Smith.

If J smith is your top 3 I just don't think you are gonna get far and I think that's the type of money he is going to get paid.
But if you traded Green and some picks for Smith and you think Green is the 5th or 6th option, wouldn't that mean Smith is the 5th or 6th option, unless of course he is better than options ahead of him.  It isn't like you are starting from scratch here.  If you swapped out Green or Bass and some young players for Smith, then Smith is still behind Rondo, KG, and Pierce on the depth chart and would be no better than the 4th option.  He could also be behind a guy like Terry on the offensive end as well. 

« Reply #24 on: August 17, 2012, 01:01:42 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
I just can't convince myself that over the next four years, it is absolutely certain that Smith will play way better than Green.  I admit that Smith has the better resume to date but not by all that much.

Smith career 15 pts/8 rebs, Green career 14/6

My sense is that Green still has upside, Smith probably not.

I don't think we need Smith.  I am happy with Green.
why not include the rest of their stats.  How about assists 3.1 to 1.6, blocks 2.2 to .6, steals 1.3 to .9, shooting percent 46.4 to 44.5, etc.  Green is a bit better at caring for the ball (though doesn't have it as much) and is a better outside shooter (and from the line). 

Smith is a much better all around defender as well. 

And all of this was before Jeff Green missed an entire season with a heart condition. 

« Reply #25 on: August 17, 2012, 01:18:03 PM »

Offline CelticG1

• Antoine Walker

But if you traded Green and some picks for Smith and you think Green is the 5th or 6th option, wouldn't that mean Smith is the 5th or 6th option, unless of course he is better than options ahead of him.  It isn't like you are starting from scratch here.  If you swapped out Green or Bass and some young players for Smith, then Smith is still behind Rondo, KG, and Pierce on the depth chart and would be no better than the 4th option.  He could also be behind a guy like Terry on the offensive end as well.

That isn't a realistic trade though is it? Even if atlanta would do it which id doubt wouldn't there need to be more salary.

Id obviously be tempted to do it but id consider it a half year rental as again I wouldn't want to pay him the contract he is looking for. Especially with KG and Pierce done soon i would not want to invest long term and high money on him. Jeff green type contract sure. Rondo type contract sure. But he will get more than that

« Reply #26 on: August 17, 2012, 01:50:46 PM »

Online SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2983

Butttttttttttttttt... 

Hey now,, I'm all about the conspiracy  angle on this deal..!!! Jeff Green could be of the TALL ALIENS , and the MARS landing as upset his plans to stay on earth as a CELTIC.

Got to admitt the Jeff Green deal is a bit fishy .  If it were n't a BIG DEAL , then why can't the thing ironed out in a few hours or day at most.... it didn't take this long to sign the whole rest of the team put together., and green not even a super star  ???.  MAybe other teams are involved. 

« Reply #27 on: August 17, 2012, 01:54:03 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

That isn't a realistic trade though is it? Even if atlanta would do it which id doubt wouldn't there need to be more salary.

Id obviously be tempted to do it but id consider it a half year rental as again I wouldn't want to pay him the contract he is looking for. Especially with KG and Pierce done soon i would not want to invest long term and high money on him. Jeff green type contract sure. Rondo type contract sure. But he will get more than that
I think Bass, Sullinger, and Bradley for Smith is a very realistic trade for both teams. 

« Reply #28 on: August 17, 2012, 02:06:02 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
I think Bass, Sullinger, and Bradley for Smith is a very realistic trade for both teams.

It all depends on what they think of those particular players, and more importantly, what their plans are going forward.  While I hope that could get it done, they might just not be interested in downgrading from Smith to Bass AND giving up cap space this summer in the process.

« Reply #29 on: August 17, 2012, 02:18:26 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
I think Josh Smith would be a great fit on this team in the long run, and I think he's a better player than Jeff Green.  I don't think it's at all likely that he gets traded to Boston for Jeff Green for a variety of reasons.

The best chance for Smith to come here, imo, is if PP decides he's retiring after the season, and agrees to be traded to Atlanta in an S&T deal.  I don't find that especially probable, but it's more likely than Atlanta wanting a grab bag of salaries that don't match up well enough.