Author Topic: Report: Howard will be traded to Lakers  (Read 9864 times)

Re: Report: Howard will be traded to Lakers
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2012, 05:19:27 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Wouldn't Houston have a much more enticing deal to Orlando? Multiple picks/young players as opposed to one really great player with only 1 year left on his deal?????

I think the "clear the deck" trade where they get Toronto's 1st is the best rebuilding deal out there.

« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2012, 05:23:10 PM »

Offline nicknorman

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 10
From article:
Howard reportedly has lucrative incentives in his deal with adidas if he finds a way to play in one of the nation’s two largest markets — New York or Los Angeles.

To me this seems ethically questionable, and possibly against NBA rules.  Doesn't this break some kind of NBA bylaw?  I know some could say that the same thing happens when a player goes to a tax free state, like Florida.  But this is getting a 3rd party to give money based on what team they play for.  Whats to stop an Adidas exec from giving huge bonuses to a player if he lands on his favorite team.  Its the same as circumventing the salary cap.

« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2012, 05:26:07 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
From article:
Howard reportedly has lucrative incentives in his deal with adidas if he finds a way to play in one of the nation’s two largest markets — New York or Los Angeles.

To me this seems ethically questionable, and possibly against NBA rules.  Doesn't this break some kind of NBA bylaw?  I know some could say that the same thing happens when a player goes to a tax free state, like Florida.  But this is getting a 3rd party to give money based on what team they play for.  Whats to stop an Adidas exec from giving huge bonuses to a player if he lands on his favorite team.  Its the same as circumventing the salary cap.

No. 

It is about convenience for the advertising.  No having to fly the player in to NY or LA to shoot a commercial.  No hotel room. 

A little more money to the player for being there probably saves time and money for those companies.

« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2012, 05:45:29 PM »

Offline nicknorman

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 10
From article:

No. 

It is about convenience for the advertising.  No having to fly the player in to NY or LA to shoot a commercial.  No hotel room. 

A little more money to the player for being there probably saves time and money for those companies.

I understand the benefits for putting a player in a bigger market, especially a marketing hub like NY or LA, I just thought it seemed ethically wrong because now those teams effectively have a higher salary cap for star players.

Anyway, I now understand why Dwight wanted Brooklyn so much, even though their team is not well constructed.  He just wanted more money.  My opinion of him dropped even more.

« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2012, 11:37:55 PM »

Offline Brendan

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 72
and some states have a better income tax picture, or they have history and tradition, or a great place for families, each team has to figure out how to market its advantages and build new ones.

« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2012, 11:55:20 PM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
In a perfect world, Howard goes to the Lakers, Bynum goes to the Magic. Howards back is never the same. He is stuck as a big man with no post moves and no lift and is the new Kwame Brown.

We can only hope.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2012, 06:16:45 AM »

Offline TripleOT

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 213

I don't think Adidas wants Howard in LA or NYC to save money on hotel rooms and airline tickets for commercial shoots a few times a year.  They want him there because those are the two biggest local markets for NBA teams. 

That's more eyeballs every game that is shown in the local market.  About 3-5 times the households watch a Knicks game in their local market than a Magic game in their local market. The NYC local market has 7.5 million households.  The Orlando market has 1.4m. LA has 5.6m.  Boston 2.5m.   

Then add in the national television exposure the LA and NY teams get, and it's a no brainer to have stars in the big markets.   

The top 10 biggest local NBA TV markets - NY, LA, CHI, Philadelphia, Dallas/Fort Worth, SF/Oakland/SJ, BOS, ATL, DC, and Houston.  Seven of these ten cities' teams top Forbes' list of most valuable franchises.   

« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2012, 08:22:32 AM »

Offline celticsleyte

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 9
From article:

No. 

it is about branding and moving merchandise... not saving a few dollars on travel expenditures.  the numbers are probably in the millions per year. 

Personally, I hope the lakers do not get dwight although they become even more of a mathchup nightmare for the heat if they do.

« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2012, 08:34:16 AM »

Offline bfrombleacher

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 367
Dwight doesn't want to follow in Shaq's footsteps...

Good job. Good effort.

« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2012, 08:40:42 AM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315
From article:

No.  

It is about convenience for the advertising.  No having to fly the player in to NY or LA to shoot a commercial.  No hotel room.  

I believe it is more about the size of the local market (and reverberation through the media located there) than the convenience of a flight to a shoot or the cost of a hotel room.

« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2012, 09:33:47 AM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 436
Anyone else here rather have Bynum than Howard?
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #26 on: July 15, 2012, 09:40:34 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3783
  • Yup
From article:

No. 

it is about branding and moving merchandise... not saving a few dollars on travel expenditures.  the numbers are probably in the millions per year. 

Personally, I hope the lakers do not get dwight although they become even more of a mathchup nightmare for the heat if they do.

all perfectly good reasons for a shoe company to want its marquees players in certain markets but it doesn't address the NBA having concerns about this circumventing the cap or overloading big market teams. Then again the NBA seems to like doing just that anyhow.
Yup

« Reply #27 on: July 15, 2012, 09:56:14 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2991
why would Magic trade one guy for another guy who won't stay or sign an extension.  Bynum doesn't want to go to Orlando.

Orlando might as well use DH this year and get the good out of him.

Magics problem is most any deal where they get a simular talent player for Howard , that player doesn't seem likely to want to stay there either.  About all the Magic can do is get lots of draft pics and few lesser players.

If Bynum goes to Orlando, it will be the same thing as Howard all over, they will wind up trading him for maybe even LESS draft picks and good player than they could have got with Howard. Just more wasted time on people who don't want to be on Orlando club.

Best deal for Orlando is to take a Houston type offer.