Author Topic: Draft Retrospective  (Read 886 times)

Draft Retrospective
« on: June 29, 2012, 09:24:21 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 422
First off let me just say that this year I followed college basketball more then I ever have and in turn was really into this draft.

Looking back at what the Cs did last night

#21 Sullinger
#22 Melo
#51 Joseph

Sullinger
I give the Sullinger pick an A+. He is such a good fit its amazing that the Cs ended up with him. Post scorers are such a dieing breed in the NBA that he is well worth the injury risk. In college he is statistically very similar to BBD, however Sully was much more efficient. Assuming KG is back. I really expect Sully to be our first big off the bench this year backing up the 4 and the 5 and averaging about 10pts 6rbs a game.

Melo
I don't love or hate this pick. I understand why Danny made the pick. Players with legit NBA size, strength, and athleticism  at the 5 position are very hard to find. Danny also wanted to avoid another Deandre Jordan draft miss. (jordan's fresh stats are similar to melo's soph). Time will tell if this was the right pick. My biggest question is whether Melo is a better pro prospect then Ezeli?

Joseph
I feel this was a great value pick this late in the draft. He is 10pbs short of the ideal NBA SF measurements over 6'7 with a near 7' wingspan. He also is a good athlete and was a key productive member of a good team.

Now looking back at what I would have done different.

#21 I definitely take sulinger

#22 A.I would have tried to trade down (but who knows maybe danny did). I think there was really good value from 30-35.

B. I would have probably taken Moultrie. To much size and athleticism to pass up on. 6'11 7'2+ wingspan and 16pt 10rb guy in college.

C. I really like Jeff Taylor and think he would have been a great pick

#51 I like the Joseph pick, if we had gone with Taylor at #22 I would have taken Sacre or K Jones.

I also would have considered Johnson-Odom or Denmon, but Danny must like Moore enough to pass on both   

Mavs
Wiz
Hornet