Author Topic: Celtics may not need to move up : Moe Harkless and Will Barton  (Read 18966 times)

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
If celtics don't/can't move up to get a Harrison Barnes, you have to consider either Harkless or Barton. Both are hybrid forwards, that can also play guard. Athletic and quick will be also be able to run with Rondo/Bradley. Saw both play this year and i was impressed. They are very young still.

Harkless - Serious player, that has excellent height at 6'8. Can shoot the three but his bread and butter is being able to drive and pull up for mid range jumpers. Can rebound very well also. The two knocks on him is that he is a streaky outside shooter and if he gets restricted to drive to the middle for his pull ups, could struggle to score in other ways.

Barton - Out of the world athletically. Can twist his body and hang in the air, to make difficult shots/passes. Very quick, long arms. Can shoot threes well, likes to pass, loves to dunk. Will rebound. Honestly i'm not sure why every mock draft has him going late 1st/early 2nd. Huge weakness is that he is rail thin right now. To me , that is a weakness that can only improve with time unlike other qualities that can't change.

I personally like Barton a little more , but harkless has better size and shoots at a better fg rate.

Maybe just draft both. I wouldn't mind

Re: Celtics may not need to move up : Moe Harkless and Will Barton
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2012, 05:31:16 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
delete

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2012, 05:34:44 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
I'm a St Johns fan, so I would have no problem rooting for Harkless.

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2012, 05:43:32 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
I'm a St Johns fan, so I would have no problem rooting for Harkless.

What else can you say about Harkless (pros and cons) since you prob saw more games of him playing than i did.

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2012, 05:53:53 PM »

Offline snively

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 454
Haven't seen enough of Harkless to judge him, but I'd be more partial to Royce White: love to get a quality big man late in the draft.

Fully on board with Will Barton. 
2016 CelticsBlog Draft: Chicago Bulls

Head Coach: Fred Hoiberg

Starters: Rubio, Danny Green, Durant, Markieff Morris, Capela
Bench: Sessions, Shumpert, G. Green, T. Booker, Frye
Deep Bench: CJ Watson, H. Thompson, P. Zipser, Papagiannis, Mejri

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2012, 06:11:53 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2435
That's a plan I can get behind. A nice draft day haul.

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2012, 09:10:21 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
Haven't seen enough of Harkless to judge him, but I'd be more partial to Royce White: love to get a quality big man late in the draft.

White is an ok prospect but won't fit well with our system. He definitely won't be able to run with Rondo.

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2012, 09:12:36 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

White is an ok prospect but won't fit well with our system (fastbreak). He definitely won't be able to run with Rondo.

« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2012, 09:14:03 PM »

Offline snively

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 454

White is an ok prospect but won't fit well with our system. He definitely won't be able to run with Rondo.

Why not?  He's very mobile for a 4/5.

Boris Diaw played very well with Steve Nash.
2016 CelticsBlog Draft: Chicago Bulls

Head Coach: Fred Hoiberg

Starters: Rubio, Danny Green, Durant, Markieff Morris, Capela
Bench: Sessions, Shumpert, G. Green, T. Booker, Frye
Deep Bench: CJ Watson, H. Thompson, P. Zipser, Papagiannis, Mejri

« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2012, 09:50:37 PM »

Offline KevinGamble

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 26
  • MWMWMWMWMWMW
I just got back from a roadtrip to see the Celtics win game 3, and it was awesome.  you know the crowd looks so lame and uninterested and quiet the way Comcast shows it on tv most the time, but being there was a blast.  I yelled my head off all 4 quarters from way back in nose bleed island.  The garden was rocking and the energy was tangible on the court. 

I pass the torch to all of you going for game 4, and...If you go to the game, remember: you can always yell louder than you think you can.

GO CELTS!!!

"You're skating on pretty thin ice around here, McGee!"
"Sounds like the ice's problem."

2 for the Show!
GO CELTS!

« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2012, 10:23:53 PM »

Offline arambone

• NCE
  • Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 80
ESPN3 is an excellent resource. Lots of games of all these guys, and you can skip around, skip commercials, and skip halftime.

Use the ESPN player page to check out the game logs of a prospect that interests you, then see if that game is on ESPN3 Replay. It's a great way to scout multiple prospects at the same time.

Harkless gained more consistency toward the end of the year, and put up some pretty good scoring numbers. He got more minutes than any freshman in the country, though most of those minutes were at power forward, which is not his natural position.

Maybe he'll show new improved touch from 3, but as of now I'm not sure he'll be that efficient of a shooter.

I don't see a huge difference between him and MKG, just as I don't see a big difference between a lot of the top 25 prospects.

Royce White could easily be better than Robinson, Waiters better than Beal, Barton better than Jeremy Lamb, Melo better than Drummond, Zeller, and Leonard.

It's really that close between all of these guys, which is why there's such little consensus about the order of the top 25 players.

Harkless is rumored to be on the short list for the Raptors at #8, as is Dion Waiters. PJ3 gets talked about as a potential #2 pick with good workouts or mid-teens.

Many people have Tony Wroten ranked over Marshall and Lillard. I'm one of them.

I think Andrew Nicholson could be better than Moultrie, Henson, and even Sullinger.

Definitely no need to move up at all. We're very fortunate to be in a position to get TWO of these guys, all of whom have very similar odds of success.

The players taken at 21 and 22 could BOTH be better than the #5 pick. It's that kind of draft.

« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2012, 10:27:39 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
Will Barton's problem is his physicality. People think he'll have a hard time in the NBA because he's not as strong. But I can live with that because he'll be able to adjust. His offensive skills is great, he just needs to be strong. And I'd love to have him.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2012, 10:29:49 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2435
Moe Harkless = Wilson Chandler ??

« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2012, 10:33:58 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
Will Barton's problem is his physicality. People think he'll have a hard time in the NBA because he's not as strong. But I can live with that because he'll be able to adjust. His offensive skills is great, he just needs to be strong. And I'd love to have him.

Once he gains 15 pounds, he will be a special player. I just hope nobody else sees that. I hope he stays as skinny he is now.

Barton is like a rondo, but sg/sf version. Also better shooter. Love the way he rebounds the ball, when he has no business trying at times

« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2012, 10:34:54 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Barton is not even a 1st rounder on most mock's.  Moe is a lot more realistic where we will be picking.