After observing the level of discussion in the Current Events forum devolve further and further over the past few weeks, the staff has decided to close the Current Events board for an indefinite period of time.
The rules for the forum are as follows:
- Discussion of politics, religion and current events should be confined to the Current Events Forum. Discussion of politics and related subjects on the front page or in the chat room are prohibited at all times.
- Do not engage in partisan attacks, unsupported generalizations, or mockery of opposing viewpoints. All posts must add content to the conversation, and all claims must be supported by facts and/or an argument. Posts such as "Bush sucks!" or "Democrats are leftist Communists!" are not permitted.
- The staff may lock or delete any thread, for any reason. Threads that involve illegal or particularly inflammatory topics, such as legalization of drugs or abortion, will be locked on a preemptive basis.
- Participation in the Current Events Forum is on a discretionary basis. Posting privileges in the forum can be revoked at any time, for any reason. There will be zero tolerance policy for rule-breaking in this forum.
- Violation of site rules with the Current Events Forum will result in automatic and mandatory suspension from that forum. Further discipline, including suspension or banning from Celticsblog on a site-wide basis, will be at the discretion of the staff.
- Any poster who wishes to "opt out" of the Current Events Forum may do so. To disable Current Events posts from showing up in your Latest Forums Topic menu and to disable your access to the forum, contact Roy Hobbs, who will remove your access privileges.
Additionally, we have noted:
Do not push limits in this forum. We want measured, considered discussion and debate in this forum; we don't want partisan political bickering. If you find yourself not being able to comply with the rules, it may be best if you avoid the forum completely.
Unfortunately, we as a staff have done a poor job moderating that forum, and have let things slip from "zero tolerance". This has resulted in members taking liberties, and pushing boundaries. Multiple members who have crossed the line have, for whatever reason, escaped discipline.
This will not happen going forward. If you've engaged in partisan bickering, mocking of others, etc., and have not been disciplined, consider yourself lucky; this type of behavior won't be tolerated any more. It doesn't matter if you have 5 posts or 5,000 posts; we don't care if you're a newbie or a staff member. If you break the rules, your posting privileges in the CE forum will be revoked.
If you have any questions, post them in the Comments and Remarks forum. We'll let you know when the forum is back online.